DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Always Sunny was absolutely amazing tonight.  I'll keep it spoiler-free but I thought it was pretty ballsy to suddenly turn into an homage to a movie that it's pretty safe to say the majority of the audience hasn't seen.

I'm not sure I know what movie it is referencing, but I enjoyed the episode very much just for the simple device of

Charlie is a super-focused perfectionist on Inspection Day and Paddy's would fall completely apart without him.

According to Howerton, the episode was inspired by an episode of True Detective, hence Dennis' impression.  Wonderful episode this week.  Frank in the basement was amazing. 

I know which episode of True Detective he was inspired by then. Also we found out a couple of months ago if not for Chris Pratt Howerton would have been Star-lord.

Which I totally don't get since the music cues and Charlie's world collapsing around him were WAY more Birdman than True Detective.

I mean I get the True Detective reference, but the only thing they had in common was it being in one take (or in Sunny's case, clearly not in one take.)

Kurt Sutter's next series, presumably for FX, is a 14th century period piece called the Bastard Executioner. It's about a knight. I'm sure it will borrow from a famous work of fiction, have an incredible second act, will be full of 14th century deus ex machina devices, and will crawl across the finish line.

• Like 1

Nope. I'll tell you what you will get, though! I guarantee that you will get at least one episode each season that has a song in it sung by Katey Sagal. Maybe it will sound all minstrel-y!

I'm not hesitant to crap on Sunny, but they're having a great season. I think The League also rebounded pretty nicely in the fall.

I avoided The League for the longest time due to my apathy towards football, but I caught an episode almost by accident and I was hooked. Burned through six seasons in about a week. Absolutely hilarious. Definitely recommend.

Better Call Saul:

I'm right in assuming the first bit was a mini-sequel to Breaking Bad, correct? So it's possible they revisit that time period at some point in the show. I'll admit, I want to see more of that. But yeah, I was hooked from the beginning, and the end just made me anticipate tomorrow even more than I already was. They're jumping in head first with Tuco Salamanca and the cartel stuff, it seems. Which is great, because as much as I love Saul, I don't want a weekly show where he just does random quirky cases (which is what I thought this would be). I've gotta wonder if we get Gustavo this season, since it was established his business was around well before Walter started. I'm so excited! :D

That was a hell of a premiere. I've been rewatching Breaking Bad in anticipation and I'm so happy they went with a direct prequel and world building route.

Who was the actor that played the prosecutor during the opening court scene? I know I've seen him somewhere before. The credits said Sanford Kelly, but a google search doesn't look like the right guy and imdb lists Alan Humphrey, who does not have any credits I recognize. Commercial actor maybe?

The other plus with the premiere, I've spent the last half hour listening to a bunch of stuff by Shook, who's song was playing during the final skateboard scam:

This song is fucking good:

I believe in the last few weeks they've confirmed that BCS is going to be jumping between different points in Saul's life, so we'll see some post-BB stuff, some of his past, and what leads up to Breaking Bad.