DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

It was the the media over-saturation that killed him.  He was in a lot of shitty/schlock-y stuff like Daredevil/Bounce/Pearl Harbor/Gigli/Jersey Girl and everything he did was in the tabloids and then with Matt Damon's career on a major upswing, there was a feeling that Damon was the guy who made 'Good Will Hunting' and Affleck was just his dumbass friend along for the ride.  I can remember when they showed a preview for 'Gone Baby Gone' and at the end it said "Directed by Ben Affleck" and people openly laughed in the theater, that's how bad his reputation was.  His rebirth is really a Hollywood talking point you don't see discussed very often, largely because people can't really remember why they hated him in the first place.

Nailed it.

I'd include Armageddon to that list. 

It's kind of hilarious that everyone assumed Affleck was just sort of riding on Damon's coattails.

Like, judging by his writing and directing since then, he probably did most of work on the Good Will Hunting screenplay. Damon was probably leeching off of him.

It is funny just how the perception of someone can be altered by how they carry themselves.  Like Damon always carried himself as fairly serious, but unassuming, kind of a gee-shucks attitude about it all that made him endearing, and he wasn't out dating famous people or running into any scandals (Affleck had  rehab stint in 2001) while Affleck always had a sort-of charming bravado and could come across completely smug, so people just started making assumptions.

This is a pretty fascinating read 11 years later.  There's a little mention at the end that Affleck would like to direct, which is funny, because that's what it took to turn his whole career around.

Affleck was also seriously out of his element as a big blockbuster leading man.

Which is what makes me nervous about him playing Batman despite thinking he's the best actor to step into the cowl since Keaton.

It's kind of hilarious that everyone assumed Affleck was just sort of riding on Damon's coattails.

Here is the best summation of their relationship.

They are fucking Crosby and Hope; ridiculous onscreen chemistry.  Solid apart and even stronger as a duo regardless of the genre.

• Like 1

Yeah Edge Of Tomorrow is vastly better than Oblivion.

I read the English translation of All You Need Is Kill, so I knew it would be awesome if Cruise's ego did not get in the way.

Cruise and Blunt were oft the chart king sized in that movie.

Just watched this last night.  Loved it.  I'm honestly surprised it didn't make more money.  

Cruise is one of a kind.

Yeah Edge Of Tomorrow is vastly better than Oblivion.

I read the English translation of All You Need Is Kill, so I knew it would be awesome if Cruise's ego did not get in the way.

Cruise and Blunt were oft the chart king sized in that movie.

Just watched this last night.  Loved it.  I'm honestly surprised it didn't make more money.  

Cruise is one of a kind.

I blame marketing; the movie is a lot more than the trailers made it look. . . .

Bale wasn't a great Batman but he was a very solid Bruce Wayne.  Affleck will not make or break the film. It's all in the script.

Bale as Bruce Wayne is great once you realize he's basically doing a version of Patrick Bateman.