DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

59193348.jpg

Closet racist limousine liberals who throw a bone to minorities once in a while so they can pat themselves on the back and be all self-congratulatory about how progressive they are?  "I can't be a racist, I gave an Oscar to that fat black girl in Precious!"  I definitely believe that.  But then, why not Selma?  Why wasn't Selma their "black friend" this year?  That's where the other explanations come in.

I love the parodies and I am baffled why a BDSM movie featuring a character like Grey would be released on Valentines Day, but I can say with certainty that if my glrlfriend asks me to take her to see 50 Shades, I would be the first person in the car because shit would be on when we got back home.

I got dragged to see it last night and it was the most unsexy "sexy" movie I've ever seen. My wife repeatedly apologized for asking me to take her to see it. I'd have much rather sat at home and re-watched Leprechaun In Space. At least the chick in that movie had nice boobs and the plot made way more sense.

I guess my point was that I do not fear "date movies," I fear "chick flicks."   There is a distinct difference between the two.

Closet racist limousine liberals who throw a bone to minorities once in a while so they can pat themselves on the back and be all self-congratulatory about how progressive they are?  "I can't be a racist, I gave an Oscar to that fat black girl in Precious!"  I definitely believe that.  But then, why not Selma?  Why wasn't Selma their "black friend" this year?  That's where the other explanations come in.

Blacks can only be Hollywood's 'friend' once every decade, and 12 Years a Slave filled that role ast year. 

Hollywood:  Hi ya, Negroes!  We gave you a nice Oscar last year, you remember that.  So see y'all people again in 2024!

As bad as Blacks have it, Latinos and Asians may as well not even exist in Tinseltown.

• Like 3

Good timing by Deadspin:

Selma. "Whoa, hey, didn't we give all the Oscars to the black movie LAST year? We can't do that two years in a row! Now they're just being greedy." By the way, I know the real reason thatSelma got hosed: OPRAH. I don't trust any movie that has Oprah in it. Not Selma. Not Beloved. Not Lee Daniels' The Butler Presented By Oprah Brought to You by Maybelline. Any time Oprah appears in a movie, it is a deliberate attempt by Oprah to insert herself into critical moments in world history. I'm surprised she didn't play fucking Moses in Exodus. One day my kid's gonna bring home a history book, and it will say that Oprah was the one who discovered radium. Fuck Oprah eternally.

• Like 1

Oprah is no more self indulgent than any other person would be in her position.

Wait.  no one is in her position because the sista has a kabillion dollarz and has her own fucking network!

I will celebrate instead of hate with the caveat that I know that rich people are all about being rich and green is the only color that matters.

• Like 2

The movie is a mess but I've decided "Jupiter Jones" is the best name ever.

Human Chessgame beat me to it. I was expecting a Three Investigators movie.

Goddamn I wasn't expecting a Three Investigators reference today but I got it. And it made my day. And made me happy that someone else read those. I still look for them in used bookstores and occasionally find one.

Yeah, Hollywood is not nearly as liberal as it likes to think.

Women get treated like shit.

It's still incredibly hard for an openly gay actor to get anywhere.

They regularly churn out jingoistic nonsense like American Sniper.

I always think of that time Sylvester Stallone was arguing for gun control and asking why anyone would need an AK47. Um, I don't know, maybe because people like you spent most of the '80s glamourizing that stuff and making it look like the coolest shit imaginable?

• Like 1

Caught The Imitation Game over the weekend and I'm all-in on Cumberbatch for Best Actor. If RWNJ spittle-spewing fury was a renewable fuel source, we'd never have to drill a single oil well ever again after the gay foreign egghead beat out the gung-ho MURICAN~! solider.

LOL. This year's Best Actor competition is stacked. Cumberbatch was fantastic and is a deserving winner, should that happen. I think Cooper in American Sniper was better but won't be upset if Cumberbatch wins.

Neither guy was as good as David Oyelowo in Selma - but he didn't even nab a freaking nomination.

Isn't it going to be Keaton though?
That's my guess based on word-of-mouth. Haven't seen Birdman yet.

Caught The Imitation Game over the weekend and I'm all-in on Cumberbatch for Best Actor. If RWNJ spittle-spewing fury was a renewable fuel source, we'd never have to drill a single oil well ever again after the gay foreign egghead beat out the gung-ho MURICAN~! solider.

LOL. This year's Best Actor competition is stacked. Cumberbatch was fantastic and is a deserving winner, should that happen. I think Cooper in American Sniper was better but won't be upset if Cumberbatch wins.

Neither guy was as good as David Oyelowo in Selma - but he didn't even nab a freaking nomination.

Isn't it going to be Keaton though?

Yeah but Keaton doesn't really lend himself to any socio-political rants...

Redmayne will probably win because it's the sort of dramatic, physical, over-the-top role people win for.

Remember when Sean Penn in Mystic River beat Bill Murray for Lost in Translation? I think Penn won because he was doing the whole acting showcase (anger! grief! more anger!) and Murray's performance is way more under-stated.

But really, 10 years on, I think everyone would agree Murray's acting was more of an accomplishment. He revealed more with one frown than any long irate rant or tearful sobs could ever do.

I thought the biggest Oscar snub was Gyllenal not being nominated for Nightcrawler.

Yep. 

I mean, not only did I think Gyllenhaal was better than any of the Best Actor dudes but I preferred Nightcrawler over any of the Best Picture nominees (and I loved Whiplash). It was a strange snub. I do feel as though Oyelowo should definately have been nominated though, that guy was walking charisma in that role.

But, yeah, IT GOT FILMED OVER 12 YEARS!!!! Or something.

This past week I watched John Wick, Kingsman and Nightcrawler.  I really enjoyed all three.  Gyllenhaal should have been up for an Oscar.  Wick and Kingsman were both bloody good times.  I also wanted to mention that I read 95 percent of The Three Investigators books while in elementary school.  I would be down with a series based on those books.  Pair them up with Encyclopedia Brown and I might not know what to do.

I also saw Edge of Tomorrow a few weeks ago and thought it was really good.  I wonder if Oblivion the year before caused people to not go and see it since they appeared similar and that one didn't get great reviews.

My sister decided to randomly email me a movie "review" for Love is Strange

sweet movie - a bit choppy - good soundtrack  - bring a tissue

She also wanted to know why Alfred Molina and John Lithgow weren't nominated for Oscars but she pretty much thinks that of any movie she likes