DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - February 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I think it was posted in the January thread about wee Jay Beatty scoring a penalty at half time in the Hamilton-Celtic match, well, not only did Hamilton say to him that the match actually finished 3-0 to Celtic and not 2-0 because he scored as well but now he's been nominated for Goal of the Month in Scotland...and he'll probably end up winning too.

I know there's a lot of shitehawks in the modern game but it brings a smile to the face reading about the positive things football can do as well. 

• Like 2

Was a thrilling game, both teams came to score goals which made it very entertaining. I think IF Dortmund would go on a run, this is game which turned it around for them. Mainz got a very early lead, Dortmund answered with blazing guns but didn´t mention to equalize beforet the second half. After the break, guns blazing turned into tanks walzing. As soon as Dortmund scored the 2-1, Mainz just shifted gears it seemed and Dortmund occured to be visibly shaken for a few minutes, but they didn´t crumble, came back and won the game.

I reccomend everyone checking out the third goal, fantastic pass by Marco Reus and a clever finish by Aubameyang.

I apologize for the horrible music and quality. ;)

Today sees the derby of Moenchengladbach vs FC Koeln. Both clubs have a livid rivalry, often lots of bad blood among them. Hope that their will be no riots, but singing wars and an emphatic match. The other classic match up of today is Bayern and Hamburger SV, which is - as usual over the last few years - barely a classic historically. HSV however has won their matches of the last two matchdays and Bayern hasn´t been as dominant as they used to be or at least not as lethal with their dominance.

Leverkusen host VFL Wolfsburg in today´s top match. A loss for Leverkusen would certainly cause trouble among the West-German squad who are currently sitting at sixth place.

Also the teams of the hour meet: Werder Bremen plays FC Augsburg, Werder having a 4-0 run and Augsburg being unbeaten over the last four games, drawing their last match against Frankfurt and winning three before that.

Looks like a fun day in the Bundesliga.

• Like 1

I haven't had time to catch up with football as much recently as I'd like, but am trying to fit in time for it, so I caught Bayern's latest 8-0 defeat of Hamburger and that was crazy.

Robben has had an amazing season so far and that first goal he scored was beautiful.

Tomorrow they play Shakhtar away in the first leg of the CL round of 16, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for them. Shakhtar was actually in the weakest group stage, so now they have to up their game a lot as it's going to be really hard for them against Bayern.

Proving, yet again, it's never a good thing to start your sentence with "I'm not a racist, but..."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/17/arrigo-sacchi-no-racist-too-many-blacks-youth-teams

“I’m certainly not racist and my history as a coach demonstrates that … But look at the Viareggio [youth] tournament I would say that there are too many black players. Italy has no dignity, no pride. It should not be possible that our teams should have 15 foreign players in the squad.”