DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - February 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Bundesliga matchday 20 is almost concluded as of now with Augsburg leading Frankfurt at home 2-1.
EDIT: it´s 2-2 now, thanks to Frankfurts goalscoring machine Alex Meier.

Dortmund got their first win 2015 at Freiburg, winning by 3-0. Freiburg seemed absolutely abysmal and never seemed to be able to do anything while leaving much space for Dortmund. Reus and Aubameyang (2) scored the goals. Bayern won their away game in Stuttgart 2-0, wonderful shots from Robben and Alaba. Still not the Bayern performance one grew used to in 2014, but a deserved win thanks to individual class.

Werder Bremen won their last four matches including 2-1 wins at home over Dortmund and Leverkusen. Since the change in their coaching staff after being winless after matchday 9 they got 22 out of 33 possible points. They are now sitting on 8th place. Even Hamburger SV won their match, the first time in two years they managed to win two in a row. Big wins for the Northern German teams who are battling relegation.

Hertha won their first match after firing coach Jos Luhukay 2-0 at Mainz. Wolfsburg solidified second place with a 3-0 at home against Hoffenheim, two assists from the debuting André Schuerrle.

FC Köln drew Paderborn at home with a 0-0, which is their fifth goalless draw in a home match this season.

• Like 1

That was the strangest PK shoot-out ever.

Both teams missed consecutive kicks. One of the GK cramped up in the middle. It got to the 11th round, where one GK had has PK saved before the other GK scores the PK to win the ACON.

• Like 1

Anybody else going to watch the Africa Cup of Nations final?

Saw it aswell. It was like all the Africa Cup finals I have ever seen. Lots of physicality, lots of spirit, lots of defending and thousands of long distance shots which rarely came close and the occasional half chance. The PHs made up for the whole match with drama, some comically bad and some extradordinarily well taken kicks. The story around the Goalkeeper was quite something. Ivory Coast was so close on a number of occasions over the last few years. Good for them to finally win the damned thing again after 23 years. 

Shit, they could start letting people into the Stadium for free if telly's paying out so much. But they won't. Not until enough people start not going.

In a surprising turn of events, Marco Reus signed a contract extension for Borussia Dortmund till 2019. The new contract doesn´t have 25-million-euro-clause like the last one had. Didn´t expect that, to be honest. I thought he was set to play somewhere else next season, whether it was Bayern or one of the big clubs outside the Bundesliga. 

Paul Lambert out at Aston Villa.  This is my surprised face.

In other news, West Ham United's goalie got sent off for using his hands on the ball outside the box.  This earned him a straight red.  This is old hat to most of you, but I've never seen a goalie go off like that.

Gareth Barry of Everton ends up getting sent off in the 87th or 88th minute due to getting his second yellow and Chelsea scores in the 89th to win 1-0.  If I'm an Everton player I'm having a hard time with this because besides a rough start, Everton played a very good defensive game only to be let down that close to the end of the game.  Seems like things always work out for the Champs. 

BT and Sky sports retain EPL rights for 7.8 Billion dollars over three years for 2016-19.

This comes at a time when all twenty of the Premier League teams are in the top 40 world wide for richest club, where West Brom, 17th in EPL funding makes (already) twice as much as Bayern Munich from TV rights.