DVDVR Message Board

NHL - February 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Tlusty to the Jets is for a 3rd rounder in 2016, and a conditional 6th rounder this year. He's going to be in the top 6 forwards to start, since Blake Wheeler got placed on the injured reserve list today.

Somewhere between now and the end of the season, the top 6 forwards are going to all break down. The Jets bottom 6 forwards as they currently stand are beyond terrible.

The deal is still pending a trade call with the NHL, but sources confirmed the Carolina Hurricanes will receive a conditional first-round pick and prospect Roland McKeown from Los Angeles for the pending unrestricted free-agent defenseman.  The Hurricanes will receive the pick in this year's draft if the Kings make the playoffs. If Los Angeles misses the playoffs, Carolina will receive the team's 2016 first-round pick instead.

I think this is a very good deal for the Hurricanes.  The Kings are going to make the playoffs this year and I am really looking forward to seeing McKeown in the future.  

I don't feel that the Tlusty trade is too bad but the 2nd and 4th that the Penguins gave up would have been nice.  We would have had to retain salary and since that's the case I'm ok with it.

It's weird that the salary cap doesn't count in the playoffs, so because Kane goes onto long-term IR in a weird way the Blackhawks can now go miles over the cap without penalty.

Very interesting to see if they do this, because obviously they'll have to give away some of the future to do it and it would probably mean they'd have to make the third round of the playoffs to get Kane back. A lot of if's but if it worked, you're a legend.

Having said that I really don't see how they make the third round in the west without Patrick Kane.

I don't really see who they can go out and get, though.

That's the other problem. You could theoretically get Lupul though I have no idea how you justify the price. If you really stretch reality to the farthest theoretical limits, Kessel, but that is a 0% in reality. Come on. (Someone in the media will go here in the next couple days though.)

Patrick Marleau? The Sharks are not getting in. But he has what 12 or 13 goals this year, and he's 35. The decline has started and that train isn't coming back to the station. I think he has a couple pretty pricey years on his contract left too.

Honestly we shouldn't get our hopes up it will turn out to be Martin Havlat or something. I have no idea what his contract status is but it wouldn't shock me if Milan Michalek was available either.

Obviously these are not great solutions but that's what the NHL trade deadline is really.

This was so far out of left field it might be from the field next door to the field.

But it actually does make some kind of sense. Horton might never play again, but the Leafs get cap relief even though in the real world they still have to pay Horton. Columbus get a guy with very similar salary to Horton, but at least he's a live body that actually plays.

But it actually does make some kind of sense. Horton might never play again, but the Leafs get cap relief even though in the real world they still have to pay Horton. Columbus get a guy with very similar salary to Horton, but at least he's a live body that actually plays.

... in theory.

I have seen no evidence to back your claim up.

• Like 2