DVDVR Message Board

NHL - February 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Corey Hirsch mentioned on Hockey Central that it could have a lot to do with how much better players are defensively and positionally in thr NHL than in the AHL. Aside from that I have no idea. Florida played them and they had an AHLer and ECHLer as their 2 goalies and Ottawa still kicked the Panthers' asses

Corey Hirsch mentioned on Hockey Central that it could have a lot to do with how much better players are defensively and positionally in thr NHL than in the AHL. Aside from that I have no idea. Florida played them and they had an AHLer and ECHLer as their 2 goalies and Ottawa still kicked the Panthers' asses

He has shut out the Ducks and Kings back-to-back!  I mean, I'm sure it is partially due to him being largely unscouted.  Rob Zepp had looked terrific prior to tonight, and the book was starting to go around that his glove hand might be weak and I believe the Leafs beat him twice high glove-side tonight.

Corey Hirsch mentioned on Hockey Central that it could have a lot to do with how much better players are defensively and positionally in thr NHL than in the AHL. Aside from that I have no idea.

That's almost certainly true. Also, I suspect guys block a lot more shots in the NHL.

What's interesting about some of the guys the Blackhawks have been rumored to be interested in (Gagner, Jeff Skinner, Mike Cammalleri) is they all have significant term on their deals and the Blackhawks most likely couldn't add guys like that without moving guys out at the same time.

I wouldn't be shocked if the best move when all is said and done is the acquisition of Timonen.  That guy is just rock-solid, and this is supposed to be the end for him (Rumored to be retiring at season's end), so you know he'll play over his head for last shot at the Cup.  It might be one of those deals where no one really recognizes what a solid get it was until Chicago's raising the Cup.  Either that, or he gets hurt and watches the rest of the season.  One of those.

Timonen plays his first game of the year today.He'll probably only be getting into full in-game form by the end of the playoffs. He's 39 and while he was once a great, unheralded defenceman, I don't think it's fair to expect big things from a guy coming off something as extreme as blood clots, at that age, at this stage of the season. If I'm wrong, they got themselves a key player for next to nothing and it could be a great coup for them. He was a monster in terms of possession numbers the past two seasons on a struggling Flyers team. Head and shoulders above his teammates and everybody (including Giroux) played better with him.

There seems to be a lot of rumours circulating Zack Kassian here. It's unfortunate because he really has found his stride the past two or three weeks with ridonk goal tallies and solid play when not scoring. It's not a shocker to see a young powerforward with a high skill level struggle with consistency at 23 and 24. This is about the age when they break out. The time to trade him is when he's 28 and coming off three good seasons because, generally speaking, that type of player bottoms out much earlier than average due to the style of play. Oh, and Bo Horvat seemingly has a SH% of 100 over the same time period as Kassian's good play. Every thing he touches ends up in the back of the net. Completely unsustainable but I'm happy he's finding his stride at an early age. He's doing it without hardly any PP time and playing with Jannik Hansen and Ronalds Kenins. 2nd line centre is Van's biggest weakness and he could address it as soon as next year if he can maintain his strong play (obviously without the same SH%). 

We are going to pass Edmonton to fuck up getting McDavid or Eichel. This is the worst thing about having Nolan at this point: even when he has the worst talent in the world he gets them to play hard. Fucking Sabres.

Jagr's Panther debut against Buffalo is going as well as you'd expect; losing; 2-0 in the 2nd. The fact that Shawn Thornton gets into the lineup is a complete fucking joke.

They traded Fleischmann for Dany Heatley. If they can swing Lecavalier this will truly be the best 2007 team money can buy.

Edit: Brandon Pirri tha Gawd.

In a reverse Herb Brooks moment Tim Murray went into the locker room and reamed the team out after the first for playing too good. Inspired, we then went out and played as terrible as we know we can.

Blackhawks just acquired Vermette for a C-level prospect and a 1st rounder that will likely be in the 24-30th range. Not a whole lot to give up for what could be the difference between a 2nd round exit or a Stanley Cup (b/c Kane could be back by the WCF).

I think some people are overselling Vermette here in terms of his rental value. He's had 20 goals 4 times in 13 years. He will help Chicago sure, for like 20-30 games then he's gone.

Phoenix have drafted fairly well in recent times. They'll take that pick with a smile.

I don't know if Chicago without Kane can beat St. Louis and I don't see them beating Nashville without him. It's a tough road and while Vermette and Timo will help I don't think it's enough.

Great game in Nashville tonight with Detroit knocking off the Predators 4-3. Detroit is now the only team to not lose consecutive games in regulation this season.

Still no real news but the feeling I've gotten is that he's staying. I can't imagine Ilitch not matching Toronto's offer and the Detroit organization is light years ahead of the Leafs in pretty much every way. Detroit has remade their roster in the last year. If you asked me middle of last year, I'd say Babcock was gone since the roster sucked. Now? I think he stays.