DVDVR Message Board

NHL - February 2015

Dolfan in NYC

The deal is

The Jets have agreed to deal Kane, defenseman Zach Bogosian and an unsigned prospect to the Sabres for defenseman Tyler Myers, winger Drew Stafford, a first-round draft pick and prospects Joel Armia and Brendan Lemieux.

The first round pick is apparently from St. Louis. The unsigned prospect going to Buffalo is a goalie at RPI named Jason Kasdorf.

EDIT: Buffalo gets to pick which one of their three first rounders (their own, St. Louis, and NYI) they send to us. There's way too many people on my Facebook page losing their shit thinking that Connor McDavid is coming to Winnipeg. :)

Edited by Dewar

Enjoy your malcontent forward and coke head defenseman, Buffalo!

I actually liked Kaner, but yeah, if there was ever a time for a new environment, this was it. I'm not terribly sold on Stafford and Myers, as both have been trending downward for years, but Stafford should fit nicely on the third line and maybe Myers just needs a new environment as well. The real prizes are more prospects to stockpile (Claude Lemieux's kid? Awesome!) and a first. Damn does Chevy love the Barrie Colts.

This is probably the first time I took the Jets seriously since they moved to the West, no offense to there team. Even this year my thought was "man, the Jets might actually make the playoffs. Hockey's weird"

Now it's, "I think the Jets are a playoff team, though they should hope to face the Ducks round 1 cause they'd get fucked by the Blues/Hawks round two if they survive Nashville"

This is probably the first time I took the Jets seriously since they moved to the West, no offense to there team. Even this year my thought was "man, the Jets might actually make the playoffs. Hockey's weird"

Now it's, "I think the Jets are a playoff team, though they should hope to face the Ducks round 1 cause they'd get fucked by the Blues/Hawks round two if they survive Nashville"

Making the playoffs this year is still just gravy. I want them in for the experience, but they are unlikely to make it to game 6, no matter who they play. This team is still all about the future. With Trouba and Scheif already up, Armia and Lemieux can be slotted with Nikolaj Ehlers, Josh Morrissey and Nic Petan and others as the next batch to arrive in the next year or two.

Don't understand the dominant narrative right now that the Sabres won this trade.

Kane's still mostly potential, and a potential massive headache.  Bogosian numbers have steadily slid downwards the last few years.  Kasdorf's an unknown quantity.

Stafford's likely going to be gone in the summer (UFA), Myers has trended downwards, but putting him with Mark Stuart will probably allow him to take a few more gambles and the Jets' blueline is even bigger than before!  Lemieux's a prospect I'm not sold on (Has some attitude issues, like there was the story about a team interviewing him and Lemieux correcting the GM when he got Lemieux's previous season goal totals wrong, then when the exec asked him how many wins his team had, Lemieux had no clue) but I thought Armia was the best Sabre in their lineup when they recalled him earlier this year.  The cherry on top is the first round pick.  Even if it's the #30 pick, there's gonna be some good players available (Been scouting strictly the WHL this year and the class is DEEP).

• Like 1

Kane had 30 goals at 20 years old. Okay he's 23 and he clearly has some emotional issues. You can work through emotional issues. You can't work through lack of talent. Maybe the Jets break even on goals by committee in return but you can't believe it until you see it, for me.

It's a trade full of what if's and we won't have a clue how it's worked out for a few years.

Most places I've read seem to favour the Jets haul, since Myers/Bogo seems like a straight swap, leaving Stafford/Prospects/Pick for Kane/Kasdorf. I'm in the too early to tell, but will likely work out for both teams camp. Assuming the Sabres get McDavid or Eichel, Kane will never have played with a centre that talented. If he's going to cash-in on his potential, this is his best chance. It certainly wasn't going to happen in the Peg.

This looks great for the Jets if they manage to resign Stafford or one or both of the prospects become B+ and above players.

We just traded Enroth to Dallas. The Taylor Hall injury forced our hands, to stay at the bottom we needed to get worse quick. These moves should solidify our hold on the league basement.

My verdict on the trade: Jets win because they got rid of a guy they had to get rid of and got good value. They also strengthened their playoff chances. Sabres won because we in theory got the best player in the trade in Kane. Also it all but assures that we end up with McDavid or Eichel, and if you put Kane on a line with either of those guys he's probably going to score a good amount of goals. Also like Bogo because he grew up a Sabres fan so he has an understanding of the pride in putting on our jersey. Daddy Lemieux didn't want his kid playing for us so fuck them.

I think Buff wins because, as people stated, Kane will play with a generational talent for the next few years and maybe even re-sign with them because of that. Winnipeg got a collection of stuff. Way too many question marks. While I don't think the old adage of whoever gets the best player wins the trade is always true, it's becoming more and more the case in hockey.

Also, Zack Kassian has been scratched more times than I can remember this season and he's now got a 3 game scoring streak after coming back into the lineup. Message received or is it time to scratch him again? I'm not sure any more! He played well before getting scratched (again). I do appreciate him yelling "fuck yeah!" three times as loud as he possibly can in a quiet United Center.

Also, Eddie Lack >>>>> Ryan Miller. Jacob Markstrom also appears to be greater than Miller. Good thing he's signed for another two seasons at $6 million and we'll have to lose one or both of those Swedes. And I get that Ryan Miller can't score (Van's main issue) but fuck that guy and by extension fuck Benning for offering him that stupid deal.

Also, Zack Kassian has been scratched more times than I can remember this season and he's now got a 3 game scoring streak after coming back into the lineup. Message received or is it time to scratch him again? I'm not sure any more! He played well before getting scratched (again).

Also, Eddie Lack >>>>> Ryan Miller. Jacob Markstrom also appears to be greater than Miller. Good thing he's signed for another two seasons at $6 million and we'll have to lose one or both of those Swedes. And I get that Ryan Miller can't score (Van's main issue) but fuck that guy and by extension fuck Benning for offering him that stupid deal.

I'm shocked that signing went badly. Seriously. Completely shocked. Flabbergasted even.

I'm not sure what it says when my main takeaway from that trade is "at least Ott is better then Stewart"

I was dreading it the second Benning was named GM. We Are All Canucks Ryan Millers.

hkn_sabres_maple_leafs_20130922_28520339

Edit: How badly I've been out of the loop with hockey this season - I just found out last week that Capgeek closed due to the owner's health. Shitty news all around.

Sedin with a slow motion snipe!

Double edit and double dutch. :( Lack is still better tho.