DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I don't feel too bad for Colt. The way he talks about his fans is ridiculous. He's not exactly the sharpest knife himself so maybe layoff going after the only people that ever cared about you.

As someone who hasn't paid any attention at all to Colt in the last 10 years (not that I am anti-Colt.....I just don't care one way or the other), can someone elaborate on how he talks about his fans?  I hadn't heard anything about it.

It's not one particular thing or incident. It's his entire attitude towards anyone who gives a crap about him and Punk. You'd have to listen to him talk about their followers on social media and people who send in e-mails for his show to understand. One example is the follow up podcast with Punk.  He tells listeners to send in e-mails and there were a lot of great questions sent in but Colt deemed them to be "stupid" and "unworthy" and the podcast went absolutely nowhere.

Because as this board has proven countless times, there's no such thing as a stupid question or pointless discussion regarding pro-wrestling on the Internet.

I don't know about that but I remember one part of the podcast specifically where Punk is going to get into the whole Kevin Nash debacle and everyone listening is like "oh, okay this might be interesting.." and Colt cuts him off completely. We could have easily gotten ten pages out of that story.

What the fuck is happening here? Jesus Christ. Unless Niners knows exactly what was asked in those emails, then I don't get the grousing over not addressing them. Maybe, oh, I don't know, give the guy the benefit of the doubt? The other point about him treating his fans like shit is just as absurd. Colt's pretty fucking appreciative of his fans. I feel like I've stepped into bizzaro land.

• Like 1

Yeah, Colt is definitely not a millionaire.

Judge: Mr Cabana, I order you to give over half of everything you have to Dr Chris Amann.

*Colt drives in a pick up truck full of wrestling DVDs, action figures, signed photos and his audio equipment.*

• Like 2

One example is the follow up podcast with Punk. He tells listeners to send in e-mails and there were a lot of great questions sent in but Colt deemed them to be "stupid" and "unworthy" and the podcast went absolutely nowhere.

I might be getting my podcasts confused, but didn't Colt say he got a bunch of questions asking why wrestlers (Reigns, Bo Dallas) show up to the ring all wet? That's a dumb question.

Yes, he did, along with questions that were already addressed.

I read what types of questions were asked by people who asked them and Colt alluded to some of them (as did Punk) such as the whole Kevin Nash situation but again Colt for whatever reason decided that he would just disregard all of them and the podcast went nowhere.  The other thing about the way he treats his fans is absolutely true. Listen to his podcasts. He has utter disdain for them and portrays himself as being above them. I already talked about this earlier with the whole "Phil" thing as one example. It was absurd and Colt was being very disrespectful. If you feel differently, great. I'm not going to continue a back and forth where people don't address specific examples and instead act like what I said came out of nowhere. If Punk can use his birth name in a promo on live television it absolutely makes sense that fans would call him by it and Punk knew that he was going to UFC and that people were going to start calling him "Phil Brooks" anyway.

Matt D, on 21 Feb 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:Matt D, on 21 Feb 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:Matt D, on 21 Feb 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

Colt did get something like a bazillion views/hits/DLs too so it's not like he didn't somehow benefit from it. 

He didn't do anything any other wrestler with a podcast wouldn't have done. It would be interesting if Punk had given Jericho the interview to see if he would've got sued as well. I'm guessing no, and the whole suing Colt is just to get at Punk. 

Not saying Colt was wrong to have Punk on, just that he gained something from it.

Anyway, Colt comes off as smarmy and insincere to me. Carny, but pretending not to be, so it's not entirely endearing. I'm not saying he is because I don't know the guy but I can certainly get how someone would have that impression. I think he's fairly easy for some people to associate with, in that he's supposed to be one of us or something, so he gets a free pass for that, but I'm not a big fan of the guy and it takes him having a guest I really want to hear for me to listen (I will listen to Landell when I get around to it). I kind of feel bad for him that he was a trailblazer when it came to the podcasts and all the big names stormed down from the mountain and did it on a bigger stage. 

• Like 1

The "Phil" talking point is absurd. That sort if mentality isn't exclusive to Punk or Colt, it's how a majority of wrestlers react when someone outside the business uses their real names. It doesn't mean he's a jerk. (And for the record, I think it's a silly thing for wrestlers to get hung up on, but I'm not a wrestler so it's not really my business.)

• Like 3

The "Phil" talking point is absurd. That sort if mentality isn't exclusive to Punk or Colt, it's how a majority of wrestlers react when someone outside the business uses their real names. It doesn't mean he's a jerk. (And for the record, I think it's a silly thing for wrestlers to get hung up on, but I'm not a wrestler so it's not really my business.)

Honestly the whole "real name" thing is more about people inviting themselves into a degree of the wrestler's personal life. If I am a wrestler and someone who doesn't know me personally calls me my "real name" it comes across as either someone trying to be smarter than the room which is annoying or trying to jump the line into my personal life. Neither is ok. Not saying this applies necessarily in the Punk situation but I see where they are coming from.

• Like 1

Honestly the whole "real name" thing is more about people inviting themselves into a degree of the wrestler's personal life. If I am a wrestler and someone who doesn't know me personally calls me my "real name" it comes across as either someone trying to be smarter than the room which is annoying or trying to jump the line into my personal life. Neither is ok. Not saying this applies necessarily in the Punk situation but I see where they are coming from.

I don't disagree with any of that but it is definitely different with Punk because he crossed that line on a fictional program.

I've met Colt, years ago, he was a cool guy, he's definitely not in the Mick Foley/Punk bracket of treating his fans like shit. The only thing that annoys me about him is how he comes across as this sympathetic figure because he didn't get a fair crack of the whip when he was Scotty Goldman, you can't listen to one podcast of his without it being brought up, the dudes a millionaire, he's probably done more for himself being out of that company than he ever could have in it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

This is surprising. I don't think I've ever head a negative Mick Foley story.

Also...

I can see Punk's side. "CM Punk" is a stage name in the same way that "Charlie Sheen" is a stage name for Carlos Estevez. Would you walk up to Charlie Sheen and call him Carlos? Stage names aren't exactly unique to pro wrestling.

• Like 1

I've met Colt, years ago, he was a cool guy, he's definitely not in the Mick Foley/Punk bracket of treating his fans like shit. The only thing that annoys me about him is how he comes across as this sympathetic figure because he didn't get a fair crack of the whip when he was Scotty Goldman, you can't listen to one podcast of his without it being brought up, the dudes a millionaire, he's probably done more for himself being out of that company than he ever could have in it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

This is surprising. I don't think I've ever head a negative Mick Foley story.

Also...

I can see Punk's side. "CM Punk" is a stage name in the same way that "Charlie Sheen" is a stage name for Carlos Estevez. Would you walk up to Charlie Sheen and call him Carlos? Stage names aren't exactly unique to pro wrestling.

I wouldn't even call him Charlie. He's Mr. Sheen until you know him well enough to call him by his first name.

Same goes for anyone I don't know. It's called being polite.

• Like 2

It's a little different though, since Punk is clearly "leaving behind" the realm of entertainment in which he used that name, it's almost just as likely that he would want people to stop using it.  Like the first time you meet the guy there is a slightly more complicated math going through your mind in the split second you have to decide how to address him.  I would guess you almost have to ask pre-interview.  And then of course by asking you seem like you're obsessed with it or want to make a point about it. 

I mean, I know in his case he gives less than half a loaf of fuck, but in theory it's not quite the same as Charlie Sheen.

Well fuck. At least I tried...

Ha. Okay so I have two predictions.  I think Rusev will defeat John Cena via countout to setup a rematch at WrestleMania and I think Roman Reigns will actually defeat Daniel Bryan. He should probably beat Bryan clean if that is the route they go so he can be somewhat strong heading into his match with Lesnar but my prediction is that Sheamus gets involved and they build a story around the whole .18 seconds debacle from a couple years back.