DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

My inner Alicia Florick tells me Punk needs to prove that Dr. Amann has been referenced or appeared during injury angles on the show and is therefore a public figure making defamation a much higher standard.

I"M NOT A TV LAWYER BUT I WATHC THEM ON T V!!!!

• Like 1

Matt asked a good question: did the Dr do this with company approval?

There's no way WWE didn't know. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they encouraged it.

I think suing Colt too is the giveaway. What are you going to sue him for? What he does he have? It just reeks of a petty McMahon move done solely to piss off Punk. Hey, you may not care if you have to hand over a lot of cash since you're rich anyway, but what about your non-rich best friend?

Theoretically, you'd sue Colt because it was on his podcast.

Same way if a wrestler struck a fan and said fan decided to sue, they would name the wrestler and the WWE itself in the suit.

And they showed the Doc on NXT yesterday talking about Sami's injury, so I dunno how that would affect the public figure angle.

I can't imagine Vince is too thrilled about the prospect of their medical practices being put under a microscope in court. Punk probably agreed not to sue based on the original settlement so this could open a big can of worms. There's a reason WWE(the side with way more money) settled in the first place.

• Like 1

Punk obliterated the docs reputation in the podcast. For the rest of the docs life, whenever someone googles his name, Punks allegations will pop up first. My guess is this isn't about money. The doc wants to show that Punk wasn't being truthful about the treatment he received.

It would be hard to believe the doc isn't in the right here. Who would draw even more attention to themselves if they were ultimately wrong.

I like Punk a lot. However it's hard to deny that In the aftermath of Punks podcast there is a picture forming of a guy who plays with the facts. This is the third person(Ryback, hhh before) to not only dispute events but to essentially say they have no idea what he's talking about.

I don't really give a shit about Punk getting sued, and like everyone else here, I have no real idea what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to this, but I really hope this doesn't hit Colt too hard financially.

The Rollins/Stewart thing is great.  I love when they make JBL, a former FOX News contributor, say, "I LOVE JON STEWART!" whenever he's in the audience with his kids.

• Like 2

Johnny, you have this entirely backwards. Since the doctor is bringing the case, he's got to prove that what Punk was saying was false. Unless Punk was completely fabricating the whole story, it's a pretty easy case from Punk's side. Was his MRSA infection real? If so, the doctor in Florida Punk went to who removed it will testify to such. As for the rest, it's going to be on Amann to prove that any particular thing Punk said was false, and to do that, he's going to need some pretty clear documentation, (which I doubt WWE has or wants.)

From a PR standpoint, (for the doctor, not so much for WWE,) it totally makes sense. The doctor is on record asserting that Punk's statements are false, and if the lawsuit fails because of WWE's poor documentation standards, it reflects on them and not so much on him.

Punk obliterated the docs reputation in the podcast. For the rest of the docs life, whenever someone googles his name, Punks allegations will pop up first. My guess is this isn't about money. The doc wants to show that Punk wasn't being truthful about the treatment he received.

It would be hard to believe the doc isn't in the right here. Who would draw even more attention to themselves if they were ultimately wrong.

I like Punk a lot. However it's hard to deny that In the aftermath of Punks podcast there is a picture forming of a guy who plays with the facts. This is the third person(Ryback, hhh before) to not only dispute events but to essentially say they have no idea what he's talking about.

Two things that make me think the doctor might have a valid issue here:

-By his own admission, Punk has had several concussions. His memory may not be what it once was. He actually did make a few other factual errors in the interview, but it didn't get much attention.

-the stuff Amann is claiming, like not ever prescribing him anything, can be easily proven or disproven, so he must have faith in it.

Theoretically, you'd sue Colt because it was on his podcast.

Same way if a wrestler struck a fan and said fan decided to sue, they would name the wrestler and the WWE itself in the suit.

Eh, I can think of a lot of times when someone sued someone else over an interview but left the interviewer out of it. If you say to someone "tell me about this person..." it's not really on you what they say.

WWE has a shitload of money...that's usually why they end up getting named.

Dragging Colt into it seems like a dick move just to mess with CM Punk even further, IMO. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel genuinely bad for Colt. AJ too. Punk, not so much.

Yeah, constantly mouthing off and saying whatever you feel, no matter how hurtful and damaging to others, actually does have consequences, Phil.

Him admitting he regularly told innocent backstage staffers to "fuck off" for no other reason than that he was frustrated with creative will come back to haunt him too, I bet. How many people in the company are going to be willing to back up Amann's claim that he was unreasonable and impossible to deal with?

The thing about this suit is that unless Punk can prove these allegations this will fall under slander or even libel. The doctor isn't a public figure. There's no way unless they get former employees to testify about that Doctor that Punk wins. Even fair comment and criticism wouldn't hold up.

My inner Alicia Florick tells me Punk needs to prove that Dr. Amann has been referenced or appeared during injury angles on the show and is therefore a public figure making defamation a much higher standard.

He was, in fact, on NXT this week.

He was, in fact, on NXT this week.

Yeah - acting like a shitty doctor - I mean - who would let Sami Zayn fly to Abu Dhabi after that beating he took last week?

• Like 1