DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Fifteen years later, and knowing the WCW song was a knockoff, I still can't hear the opening guitar riff from "Peace of Mind" without expecting Jerry Flynn to come out and get the shit beat out of him. This doesn't happen with any other song WCW ripped off, and it's not like I had never heard of Boston when I started watching wrestling in 97. Not sure why it happens, but it does.

Superst*r Billy Graham called to say "Hello."

mco543, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

Actually there are several reasons to think he can't have a John Cena like run. Let's start with the fact that no one besides maybe a few hundred women at each show even care about him. Then there's the fact he's no where near Cena's level of charisma, and is no where near Cena on the mic. Maybe one day he'll be a great big match worker, but as of now he's no where near Cena in that regard either.

This is the most forced and unnatural push to being "the guy" that I've ever seen.

OSJ, I do not get your allusion. McMahon hot-shotted SBG to the title, to be sure, but Graham was certainly over from his previous WWWF run and perceived as a viable threat. He fulfilled his duties as a transitional champ (while being arguably the first major cool heel antihero to be cheered against the faces), was awesome on the mic and had charisma out the yinyang. He was no great shakes as a ring technician and wasn't going to get better by that point, but got the psycholgy and could tell a story and sell a match (and tickets). He still is the longest reigning heel champ in the W/WWF/E and I have heard telling debates about whether Senior should have let him run with the belt. It took longer to get Backlund over with the East Coast fans. So, nu?

thanks for letting the old folks talk, kiddies - now go back to your playing,

RAF

Probably not the greatest comparison as fans took to Graham pretty quickly. The main point of comparison is that here we had a guy that obviously couldn't go Broadway with anyone, a complete departure from what the fans had been educated to look for in a World champ. No question but that he was hot-shotted to the title whether ready or not. Just as Graham turned out to be fine in the role; I expect the same scenario plays out for Reigns if booked properly. I'm rolling my eyes at the thought of his first feud being with the Big Slow, as that one's already played out. Far more interesting to have him beat Lesnar, have Rollins cash in and essentially steal the belt from an exhausted Reigns and let Roman spend the summer chasing Rollins to finally get the belt at one of the big fall/winter shows. The key phrase here of course is "if booked properly". Chasing Rollins for a time would be great and allow for any number of Authority-backed roadblocks to get in the way and then once he has the strap you just go to "booking Hogan 101", double-teams, triple-teams, monster of the month. Could be pulled off very easily.

I really can't think of anything that's been booked properly by WWE in the past few months. I thought the Sting stuff was going well, until Hunter muddied the waters on Sting's reasoning for coming into WWE in the first place. At first, it was "Sting's here to right the wrongs of the Authority!", now it's "WCW vs WWE!" it seems.

There's been pages and pages of discussions on the fuck-ups of the Reigns/Lesnar stuff.

You got the Bryan stuff. Fine, okay, he's not going to be in the main event. But hotshot him into a ladder match for the IC belt? Um, okay.

Undertaker/Wyatt is interesting at least, and Bray's promos and his Fast Lane segment were good - so I'll reserve judgement on that one. You got me there, but it's hard to fuck up one guy giving vague promos for a few weeks.

Cena/Rusev is determined entirely on if you're a naive fan and you think Rusev is the big bad guy, or if you can actually see the scenario for what it is - a guy that doesn't back down from anyone and genuinely loves his country and will do anything for it. I'm supposed to cheer for Cena because... Rusev is "Russian"? Shouldn't have anything to do with nationality in this case, but again, WWE loves to have their finger on the pulse of the mainstream (even though no one cares about Russia anymore and all the focus is on the ISIS stuff right now).

Rollins/Orton might be the feud that's been booked as it should be, but the weird interaction they had on RAW didn't help it's case any. This PPV is 28 days away, they need to kick it into high gear and build this fucker a little more.

Paige/Bellas.... seemed like it was building towards Paige having a partner at 'Mania to face off against them both, but AJ kinda set fire to that plan. The Divas division as a whole hasn't been booked properly in years, so I guess why start now is the question?

tl;dr - why expect something of the Reigns push when their own history these past few years have proven that even if they have a hot act, they'll always book themselves into a corner they can't get out of, and will quickly dump a vat of water on the star that's burning bright at that time (unless it's Cena).

On that first point, Triple H is a dick and probably wouldn't think that Sting were there to right any wrong because he is incapable of actually thinking that he has done wrong. However, Sting's character development seems stuck at Starrcade 1997 so it's not Sting will ever tell us why he's there.

I feel like there's three people that talk during the matches that should probably work to further that angle more, instead of relying on Triple H interviews with Michael Cole and Sting's silent interactions with Triple H to tell the story. It becomes incredibly one sided, story wise, and the announcers aren't doing shit about it. Which is, y'know, the entire purpose of announcers really. The more I think about this stuff, the more frustrated I get. The reason is sitting right there infront of them, and all they want to do is talk about mundane shit that has no relevance to what's going on inside the ring.

It's maddening.

• Like 1

I feel like there's three people that talk during the matches that should probably work to further that angle more, instead of relying on Triple H interviews with Michael Cole and Sting's silent interactions with Triple H to tell the story. It becomes incredibly one sided, story wise, and the announcers aren't doing shit about it. Which is, y'know, the entire purpose of announcers really. The more I think about this stuff, the more frustrated I get. The reason is sitting right there infront of them, and all they want to do is talk about mundane shit that has no relevance to what's going on inside the ring.

It's maddening.

This sort of ties into a thought I had the other night: It's really weird to hear about Sting without WCW guys doing the announcing. Tenay called 99.9% of his TNA run with Taz or Don West, but I'll lump him in with that WCW crew. I know it's a dead issue at this point, but if ever any angle needed JR calling it, it's this Sting/HHH deal. Schiavone had been around forever, but his best work, IMO, was during Sting vs NWO from 96-early 98.

Undertaker/Wyatt is interesting at least, and Bray's promos and his Fast Lane segment were good - so I'll reserve judgement on that one. You got me there, but it's hard to fuck up one guy giving vague promos for a few weeks.

Dude, Bray's been giving vague promos since 2013.

Taker/Wyatt feels like a complete lose/lose to me, and I'm probably not the only one to say it but: either Taker wins and yeah, he's made a comeback but seriously who cares because the streak is already over and this megaBray push has now been a waste or Bray wins and it means nothing because Taker has already lost and if anything losing again would make Taker look worse.

Fifteen years later, and knowing the WCW song was a knockoff, I still can't hear the opening guitar riff from "Peace of Mind" without expecting Jerry Flynn to come out and get the shit beat out of him. This doesn't happen with any other song WCW ripped off, and it's not like I had never heard of Boston when I started watching wrestling in 97. Not sure why it happens, but it does.

I have a similar problem.

Whenever 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' begins to play, I hear 'Self High Five' in my head.

• Like 7

Probably not the greatest comparison as fans took to Graham pretty quickly. The main point of comparison is that here we had a guy that obviously couldn't go Broadway with anyone, a complete departure from what the fans had been educated to look for in a World champ. No question but that he was hot-shotted to the title whether ready or not. Just as Graham turned out to be fine in the role; I expect the same scenario plays out for Reigns if booked properly. I'm rolling my eyes at the thought of his first feud being with the Big Slow, as that one's already played out. Far more interesting to have him beat Lesnar, have Rollins cash in and essentially steal the belt from an exhausted Reigns and let Roman spend the summer chasing Rollins to finally get the belt at one of the big fall/winter shows. The key phrase here of course is "if booked properly". Chasing Rollins for a time would be great and allow for any number of Authority-backed roadblocks to get in the way and then once he has the strap you just go to "booking Hogan 101", double-teams, triple-teams, monster of the month. Could be pulled off very easily.

Gotcha, thanks. Not the best choice for the champ but it could all work out. I agree with your proposed scenario. Far better to give him a Title Chase, something to overcome (a quest, perhaps?). Just don't make him get out-witted or -maneuvered at every turn, OK? And keep Cena busy, too. Bryan can take care of himself, if he must.

- RAF