DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

While walking through the grocery store today, I passed the magazine section and saw that WWE put out a "Legends of Wrestlemania" issue. On the cover? Hogan, Austin, Savage, Hart, Michaels, Helmsley, Taker, Cena, Rock, and Bryan.

Maybe it's nothing but I think that's a pretty big indicator of what the company thinks of Bryan.

Hey what was your webpage again? Any new design work?

I got nothing... Haven't in years. Maybe you're thinking of El Jefe? He had that rad lucha alphabet poster. I'm mostly a long time lurker since the green board days.

Oh that's right, well thanks bud!

I'd like to believe Arn was teased once and then came back DDT'd the poor kid and then a young Tully, Ole, and Ric showed up and this was the test run for the beating they would later give to Dusty

" 'Lil Naitch and the Horsemen Gang" is a comic strip/web series that needs to be made.

"Legal guardian JJ Dillon does his best to keep his four rambunctious boys out of trouble but they always end up finding mischief and adventure wherever they go. Every episode features girl crazy Naitch, tough kid Arn, Big Barry who gets his head stuck in things all the time, and Tully who's always letting his temper get the best of him. What trouble will those boys get into this week? You can never tell with 'Lil Naitch and Horsemen Gang! Coming this fall to the CBS Saturday morning Kid's Funhouse!"

• Like 10

I do miss the Real Men who look like they could beat up your dad. 

Brock looks like he could eat my Dad.

There's a difference between a "man" who can beat up your dad and a "mountain of steel and disdain that happens to be vaguely human shaped" that can beat up your dad.

• Like 1

the Von Erich 30 for 30 short on ESPN was kinda meh

Yeah it is impossible to tell the story about any member of that family in 15 minutes much less the whole family.   The story of Kevin wanting to put himself in jail for a long time as his way of escaping the world without killing himself was something.  

also kinda hard to tell the story with so many contemporaries dead

in other words

Christmas Star Wars 1983

December 25, 1983 in Dallas, TX
Reunion Arena drawing 19,675 ($210,000)
  1. The Missing Link pinned Johnny Mantell (6:05).

2. Iceman Parsons & Brian Adias beat The Super Destroyers (Bill alive, Scott dead) (15:35) to win the World Class American Tag Title.

3. Kerry Von Erich beat Kimala (5:12) via DQ.

4. Mike Reed pinned The Mongol (13:49).

5. David Von Erich beat NWA World Champ Ric Flair (23:43) via DQ.

6. Jose Lothario pinned Black Gordman (8:13).

7. Kevin & Mike Von Erich beat Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts (12:10) in a "no DQ loser leaves town" match when Kevin pinned Gordy.

8. Jimmy Garvin pinned Chris Adams (14:58) to win the World Class American Title

so having Kevin, and Bill Apter.

Also, pretty sure Lacey Von Erich didn't get mentioned.

Did the WWE ever have an interst in any bigger name Japanese guys, or was that considered the realm of WCW in the 90s?  Tenryu was in the Rumble one year and Shinzaki and Ultimo had those brief runs, plus Kaientai and a few lower card guys.  I was wondering if they'd ever considered bringing in someone like Liger, especially post-WCW?

Did the WWE ever have an interst in any bigger name Japanese guys, or was that considered the realm of WCW in the 90s?  Tenryu was in the Rumble one year and Shinzaki and Ultimo had those brief runs, plus Kaientai and a few lower card guys.  I was wondering if they'd ever considered bringing in someone like Liger, especially post-WCW?

Tenryu was in both the 93 and 94 Rumbles. Great Kabuki was also in the 94, I believe his only appearance in the WWF.

Tenryu also had a major tag team match with Kitao vs Demolition at WrestleMania VII with him going over.

No one established or up and coming probably wanted to or would've been willing to come over since there was never any agreement in place, I don't see Vince ever doing a working agreement with another promotion like he did with Tenryu's companies and AAA again, mostly because he doesn't have to but also because why would he? He has a gargantuan roster and no competition.

That being said, I remember there were rumors about Tenryu coming back in a few years ago as "Japanese grandfather" type gimmick of his own design but that obviously went nowhere. If Vince was ever going to bring in a Japanese wrestler post-WCW I'd say Tenryu would've been the best bet but he was probably making way too much money as a superstar in Japan to do that. He probably would've never been positioned as a major player or anything but grumpy old Tenryu against or teaming with grumpy old Flair would've been awesome, maybe them against Orton/Batista or something.

I do miss the Real Men who look like they could beat up your dad. 

Brock looks like he could eat my Dad.

My dad is a pretty small dude so I have no doubt that most dudes on the roster could take him.

My grandfather is much bigger and when I was a kid would tell me how he could kick everyone's ass and how everyone on the current roster would get destroyed by Bruno Sammartino.