DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I do miss the Real Men who look like they could beat up your dad. 

Brock looks like he could eat my Dad.

My dad is a pretty small dude so I have no doubt that most dudes on the roster could take him.

My grandfather is much bigger and when I was a kid would tell me how he could kick everyone's ass and how everyone on the current roster would get destroyed by Bruno Sammartino. 

Does ROH sign wrestlers to exclusive contracts? Friend linked me to an indy's FB page that said Joe was "not taking bookings after 4/23".

Joe's doing 6-7 dates for ROH. He's also fielding offers from AAA/Lucha Underground, WWE, and NJPW according to Meltzer.

I'd REALLY be interested in seeing what kind of offer he has from WWE. If I were him, it'd be either that or NJPW. The advantage to WWE might be being able to stay in Florida, work for NXT and make some merchandise money. If he does well enough in NXT, he can transition into being a trainer so there's more long term potential there. 

Does ROH sign wrestlers to exclusive contracts? Friend linked me to an indy's FB page that said Joe was "not taking bookings after 4/23".

Joe's doing 6-7 dates for ROH. He's also fielding offers from AAA/Lucha Underground, WWE, and NJPW according to Meltzer.

Take this with a grain of salt for the offers being fielded as well, but from other boards cross-checking dates:

-New Japan will be right in the middle of a house show tour on April 23rd. 

-Joe is doing 6-7 dates for ROH, and it's already been announced that one of those dates will be April 25th in Minnesota.

-The final NXT episode in the can right now is set for April 22... and April 23 has been announced as the next NXT tapings. (Also remember for the 4/25 date, WWE is very big on honoring your prior committments.) 

Did the WWE ever have an interst in any bigger name Japanese guys, or was that considered the realm of WCW in the 90s?  Tenryu was in the Rumble one year and Shinzaki and Ultimo had those brief runs, plus Kaientai and a few lower card guys.  I was wondering if they'd ever considered bringing in someone like Liger, especially post-WCW?

IIRC Vince was interested in Kobashi in the late 90's.

Why are pro-wrestlers getting smaller? It seems like there's a ton of < 6'0" < 200lbs in wrestling now. Is it a case of the bigger guys are doing other things than wrestling (MMA?) or more people realizing being a pro-wrestler sucks (the constant travel, the lack of pay, the hierarchy in place)

At the risk of sounding like a cop-out, I'm sure it's a little of both.

Also, indy wrestlers started getting smaller several years ago when most of the big guys were going into MMA or being locked into developmental deals by WWE early and more indy feds started getting more into "workrate" and "movez~!", stuff usually done by smaller dudes. More guys said "hey, these indy stars are small" later and started doing it themselves. Watch for that trend to continue, as people have now seen you don't have to be bodybuilder-sized to make it in the WWE.