DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I agree with most guys you said were missed opportunities, especially Shelton Benjamin who I feel was almost hurt by his ability to do ridiculous spots with ladders so they only remembered he existed when they needed one of those. But I've never seen the appeal Carlito. He really stunk.

Also on the subject of small guys all roided up, didn't Adrian Nevelle (PAC) used to be a scrawny guy back in his European wrestling days. I see him now and all that muscle mass he has just looks so disproportionate to his body.

He generated that mass during his stint in Dragon Gate.

I remember him showing up to wrestle Steen in PWG and fans were chanting "you got huge" and "PAC Lesnar."

It's also a match I specifically recall for "THIS IS WRESTLING, YOU FUCKFACE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWEpbBjJ4g

• Like 1

Watching Clash VI... I wish Great Muta and Gary Hart had been around longer, he sticks out like a sore thumb as everything is so unique. In fact, if they'd been in WWF do you think it would have been better or worse? NWA kinda dropped the ball with him

He probably would have been about as successful as Hakushi was during his run. Maybe less, since Hakushi at least had Bret on his side, but Bret wasn't high enough on the card to help anyone out during Muta's stateside run.

Watching Clash VI... I wish Great Muta and Gary Hart had been around longer, he sticks out like a sore thumb as everything is so unique. In fact, if they'd been in WWF do you think it would have been better or worse? NWA kinda dropped the ball with him

I could see Muta with Hart having a great house show run with Savage or Warrior when they were champs, Muta v. Savage could have been a classic feud, he would have been the perfect guy to bring in for the Warrior after he won the belt and after either of those feuds he could have moved down the card and feuded with Jake Roberts before heading back to Japan.

When I was a kid Muta stuck out like a sore thumb. He was clearly something special. The guy was doing sick moonsaults at a time when wrestlers had kick/punch offense. If given the chance, he would've been huge.

As far as missed opportunities go, all you have to do is look at the current roster. The roster is so talented that just about anyone who isn't over should be and would be if they were given some tlc. Outside of d young, axel and the ascension I can make an argument for every single performer. 

Muta was huge though. Or do you mean in the States? He was still pretty hot here for a time though. 

Elsewhere, I've just read the full Daniel Bryan piece Dave wrote. Fucking hell, that was a depressing read and it's all pretty spot on. WWE have successfully depressed it's own audience.  

• Like 2

Also on the subject of small guys all roided up, didn't Adrian Nevelle (PAC) used to be a scrawny guy back in his European wrestling days. I see him now and all that muscle mass he has just looks so disproportionate to his body.

He generated that mass during his stint in Dragon Gate.

I remember him showing up to wrestle Steen in PWG and fans were chanting "you got huge" and "PAC Lesnar."

It's also a match I specifically recall for "THIS IS WRESTLING, YOU FUCKFACE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWEpbBjJ4g

:lol: that's hiarious

I hate that stupid chant too.  Yes thank you all for pointing out that this IS indeed wrestling i'm watching.  The sign on the door said it as well, but I had no idea until now.

Seth Rollins just showed up on the Daily Show to challenge Jon Stewart to appear on Raw on Monday.

avec video...

Hahaha.  Imagine if the WWE had someone that could save a segment like that when someone shows up to blank, "who the fuck is that?" reaction.

Why are pro-wrestlers getting smaller? It seems like there's a ton of < 6'0" < 200lbs in wrestling now. Is it a case of the bigger guys are doing other things than wrestling (MMA?) or more people realizing being a pro-wrestler sucks (the constant travel, the lack of pay, the hierarchy in place)

Why are pro-wrestlers getting smaller? It seems like there's a ton of < 6'0" < 200lbs in wrestling now. Is it a case of the bigger guys are doing other things than wrestling (MMA?) or more people realizing being a pro-wrestler sucks (the constant travel, the lack of pay, the hierarchy in place)

At the risk of sounding like a cop-out, I'm sure it's a little of both.

Brysynner, on 27 Feb 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:Brysynner, on 27 Feb 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Why don't you ask the guy who dropped the ball with Ryback, and treats Rowan and Harper like jobbers every week.

It's something I've thought about for a while.  It's mostly what Mike said.  Back in the day, most of the major stars weren't really fans when they were younger.  They got into the business when their first choice(football usually) fell through.  The current crop are all, for lack of a better word, geeks who grew up loving wrestling.  Most of them were never into other sports, either.  There are exceptions, but these guys' goal from day one was pro wrestling.  The crazy thing is, none of the "love the business above all else" guys draw any money, but the guys who looked at it as work, did.  Much of that can be placed on where the business is now, and how it's run, but I always found that interesting.  I think a big reason things are the way they are, is because the only big game in town knows that many of these guys are just happy to be there.

• Like 2

It's something I've thought about for a while.  It's mostly what Mike said.  Back in the day, most of the major stars weren't really fans when they were younger.  They got into the business when their first choice(football usually) fell through.  The current crop are all, for lack of a better word, geeks who grew up loving wrestling.  Most of them were never into other sports, either.  There are exceptions, but these guys' goal from day one was pro wrestling.  The crazy thing is, none of the "love the business above all else" guys draw any money, but the guys who looked at it as work, did.  Much of that can be placed on where the business is now, and how it's run, but I always found that interesting.  I think a big reason things are the way they are, is because the only big game in town knows that many of these guys are just happy to be there.

At the risk of being pedantic, I'm not sure it's all that surprising that the people who treated it like a profession made/generated more money who treated it as a labor of love.

Was it CM Punk who had the line about "the biggest marks are the ones in the ring"?

It's one of the things that's kind of killing my love for wrestling, I don't like seeing guys who are my size in the ring, I enjoy the spectacle of guys bigger than me doing things they shouldn't do. WWF conditioned me to enjoy a Hulk Hogan, an Ultimate Warrior. Think how big Savage would look next to Daniel Bryan. I feel like when I go to shows I'm either looking at a guy in the eyes or looking down at them. I miss the days when I spent my time looking up at the roster. Oh well that's what the Network is for

It's also pretty amazing how our concept of what a "big guy" and a "small guy" is has changed.  Growing up in the 80s, guys like Hennig, Hart & Michaels were considered "small" wrestlers.  But I watch them now and those dudes were pretty fucking big.  Hennig was a beast.

I remember him cutting more than one promo about his 21 inch neck.

It's a relative thing, I suppose.  Like football and basketball, they're all giants compared to the general population.

Like, I actually had Billy Gunn come into a coffee shop I was working at the time, and Billy Gunn was never really thought of or marketed as a particular big guy among wrestlers but the dude was fucking huge.

• Like 1