DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Bigger waste of 3 hours tonight - fast lane or the oscars?

Trick question, since the oscars will be wellpast 3 hours.

The Oscars had Will Arnett dressed as Batman and playing a guitar during the live performance of Everything Is Awesome. So yeah, that right there is gonna beat anything that happens at Fast Lane.

The answer is always the Oscars unless the other option is the Grammys.

I like Harry Smith, I still wanna see tape of what he did in Billy Corgan's promotion, but I'd have to imagine his ceiling is the level Tyson is at now in WWE's opinion, or they wouldve never released him.

Yeah, you may be right, but I swear his best match ever was the 2013 match where he and Archer first won the NWA tag titles in Houston. I was there in person, but I don't think it's ever found it's way online. Ever since, I've been a big supporter of both. Such a great tag match.

I like Harry Smith, I still wanna see tape of what he did in Billy Corgan's promotion, but I'd have to imagine his ceiling is the level Tyson is at now in WWE's opinion, or they wouldve never released him.

Yeah, you may be right, but I swear his best match ever was the 2013 match where he and Archer first won the NWA tag titles in Houston. I was there in person, but I don't think it's ever found it's way online. Ever since, I've been a big supporter of both. Such a great tag match.

He had a great match with Shane Williams in the Crossfire Title Tourney Final.

Harry Smith had some really good matches at the 2013 G1, but they might have been overlooked because of how solid that tournament was as a whole.

Pretty awesome about Rollins at the Daily Show, by the way. Good for him.

Good to see him get some exposure.

• Like 7

Harry Smith had some really good matches at the 2013 G1, but they might have been overlooked because of how solid that tournament was as a whole.

I like your style.  You don't dick around.

• Like 6

I like your style. You don't dick around.

I feel like a real boner for missing that joke at first.

• Like 1

And also, the WWE's champions list since the Hogan era includes Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Eddy Guerrero, CM Punk, Mick Foley, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Daniel Bryan. None of those guys are bodybuilders at all

Can we get past the "Vince only likes muscle guys?" talking point that any shred of evidence shows is false?

Please.

Most of the guys in that list got roided up in order to qualify for a world title push.  One of them was so roided up he died.  Get out of here with this disingenuous bullshit.

by most, you mean 3/4 of 12? (Mysterio/Benoit/Guerrero for sure, i'd imagine Michaels/Jericho/Edge did some stuff on occasion pre-title but not to the point of being roided up)

It's not blind zealotry and Bryan fandom that has people annoyed with the degree to which they are pushing Reigns.  It's frustration with the fact that Vince is digging his heels in and trying to push his vision with a guy that just isn't clicking with the audience (at least not to main event caliber), while seemingly going out of their way to cool off others who like Cesaro (I'm talking pre-affiliation with Heyman), Ziggler, even Orton.  What's the rush on making Roman the guy right here and now?  If he's the future of the business, then you can afford to cultivate an organic following.

This is where your view point falls apart and gives off the impression of blind zealotry even if it isn't true. You are complaining about the degree they are pushing Reigns while saying they should have done with Bryan. It makes no sense. The issue should be that they should have been treated the same. Everyone complains about the bad booking of Cesaro. It is something that should be fixed across the board. That is how you get people over. Reigns is one of the times they are actually getting it right. Should be done more often.

It only falls apart if you are rating Reigns and Bryan on even footing for some reason.  Bryan has already main-evented Wrestlemania, won the World Title twice, and had established himself as the most over face among the majority of the crowd.  Reigns hasn't even been active as a singles wrestler on the main roster for a full year.

What I've taken from the last page is Roman Reign should use THE POUNCE....AHHHH as his finisher over the spear. A running shoulder block that could send a guy into the second row is way better than the running hug that has become the WWE's standard.

And also, the WWE's champions list since the Hogan era includes Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Eddy Guerrero, CM Punk, Mick Foley, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Daniel Bryan. None of those guys are bodybuilders at all

Can we get past the "Vince only likes muscle guys?" talking point that any shred of evidence shows is false?

Please.

Most of the guys in that list got roided up in order to qualify for a world title push.  One of them was so roided up he died.  Get out of here with this disingenuous bullshit.

by most, you mean 3/4 of 12? (Mysterio/Benoit/Guerrero for sure, i'd imagine Michaels/Jericho/Edge did some stuff on occasion pre-title but not to the point of being roided up)

8/12 have either been caught or admitted to taking steroids. Bret Hart talks about his steroid use during his run in his book, Shawn Michaels was a heavy user during his run at the top considering how average his physique usually is (muscle wise). I get that there is a difference between roided up guys and guys who dabbled or use only minor amounts, but there does appear to be a minimum level of physique required to get the belt. Considering a majority of that list has at least dabbled it's not hard to see that most WWE wrestlers consider them a necessity and it's not too unreasonable to believe that Vince very strongly favors muscle guys to the point that it takes 10X more effort to get the belt with an average physique. If it wasn't for Vince I highly doubt Rey, Shawn, Eddie, Bret, Edge, or Hardy would have ever considered using.  

What I've taken from the last page is Roman Reign should use THE POUNCE....AHHHH as his finisher over the spear. A running shoulder block that could send a guy into the second row is way better than the running hug that has become the WWE's standard.

Wouldn't the Superman Punch be just a modified, badder version of the same thing (both running, jumping strikes, with one actually being a punch so it looks better than the shoulder block sometimes looked?)

maybe a slight exaggeration to say that Bret Hart, who spent years around the Dynamite Kid pre-WWF, wasn't ever gonna consider using steroids if not for Vince.

The business asks 3 contradictory things:

1) look athletic

2) be healthy near constantly

3) travel from town to town and do 5 shows a week.

Some entities lead people to steroids to become better looking, some lead people to do drugs to heal injuries or handle pain. The WWE gives you an opening to do both simultaneously.

Anyone know if Bu Ku Doa is still signed with the WWE? He just worked a match for Reality of Wrestling, so I'm wondering if he just hasn't reported yet.

He got cut around the time Willie Mack got cut. But I heard he was told they would resign him again. Something with budget cuts.

Since coming back he has been working all over. Wildkat,some group out of Pensacola FL. And now ROW. Heard Curt Matthews and Purple Haze have worked ROW shows recently.

Watching Clash VI... I wish Great Muta and Gary Hart had been around longer, he sticks out like a sore thumb as everything is so unique. In fact, if they'd been in WWF do you think it would have been better or worse? NWA kinda dropped the ball with him

He was really good in the G1 2013 and he can clearly hang with the top guys, but he honestly has no real charisma or character to him, which will always be his downfall. I think he could have gone a little further if he had been where he is at now in NJPW in the mid-2000's or before, but the upper midcard is his best bet.