DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Burke got a raw deal in WWE too. He's on my shortlist of guys who Shoulda been a much bigger deal than they ended up being.

Agreed on this. Who else makes the list? I got him, Marcus Cor Von and Brian Kendrick for starters.

Wasn't Cor Von's deal was that he was making great money being a physical trainer or something? Which is why he left the business?

Burke got a raw deal in WWE too. He's on my shortlist of guys who Shoulda been a much bigger deal than they ended up being.

Agreed on this. Who else makes the list? I got him, Marcus Cor Von and Brian Kendrick for starters.

A motivated Kennedy/Anderson, if he hadn't burned his bridges, would have had a title run by now.

R-Truth.

Wasn't Cor Von's deal was that he was making great money being a physical trainer or something? Which is why he left the business?

I think Monty had some major family issues happen that required him leaving WWE.

Probably Carlito.

I think Monty had some major family issues happen that required him leaving WWE.

IIRC his sister died and he's raising her kids.

Superst*r Billy Graham called to say "Hello."

mco543, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

Actually there are several reasons to think he can't have a John Cena like run. Let's start with the fact that no one besides maybe a few hundred women at each show even care about him. Then there's the fact he's no where near Cena's level of charisma, and is no where near Cena on the mic. Maybe one day he'll be a great big match worker, but as of now he's no where near Cena in that regard either.

This is the most forced and unnatural push to being "the guy" that I've ever seen.

OSJ, I do not get your allusion. McMahon hot-shotted SBG to the title, to be sure, but Graham was certainly over from his previous WWWF run and perceived as a viable threat. He fulfilled his duties as a transitional champ (while being arguably the first major cool heel antihero to be cheered against the faces), was awesome on the mic and had charisma out the yinyang. He was no great shakes as a ring technician and wasn't going to get better by that point, but got the psycholgy and could tell a story and sell a match (and tickets). He still is the longest reigning heel champ in the W/WWF/E and I have heard telling debates about whether Senior should have let him run with the belt. It took longer to get Backlund over with the East Coast fans. So, nu?

thanks for letting the old folks talk, kiddies - now go back to your playing,

RAF

Im sorry but Monty Brown was fucking awesome. He was like every kid from my hood that I went to middle school with who just woke up certain mornings, and was like, fuck it, I'm The Rock. And sorry to bring it full circle to our boy Roman, but THE POUNCE!!!!~~!!!!!!!111!!! > the spear in every way

• Like 2

Taking a step back here, I just wish I could watch as I did when I was younger. I didnt care who was getting pushed, I was just happy to see my favorites show up. I was thrilled if Bam Bam Bigelow crushed a jobber on Superstars or Crush was fighting Repo Man at Summerslam. I want to not care about who is "the chosen one" or who is gonna be the next Cena.

You were a kid when you were younger. You probably don't appreciate movies, tv, books, food, etc the same way. I'd generally argue that being an adult broadens your perspective on matters. You don't just appreciate sweet or salty, you like sour and bitter as well.

I dont disagree with what you are saying, but what I meant was wishing I could watch and not try to pick apart everything and just enjoy the ride. Not shout at the driver about every bump in the road.

Obviously growing up gives you perspective and maturity and aquired tastes. Wrestling has been a staple of my life for going on 27 years, and I was just reflecting on a time when my childlike wonderment was fullfilled every time WWF, NWA, WCCW etc. came on, and wondering if wrestling itself was really that different or if jaded cynicism has taken away more than I thought.

It was never about age or injury history. It's about what one man feels a star should look like. That man is in his 70s and has been out of touch for years. Roman Reigns has a look. Daniel Bryan doesn't. McMahon always says that the fans choose but it's bullshit. He can't outright say that their opinion doesn't matter. He truly believes that if they tell us Reigns is a star enough times that eventually we will start to believe it. It's up to how they script his promos and how he progresses in the ring and with physical charisma. If he can connect.

If they continue to give him Cena Lite promos and he continues to stumble through them, he's in trouble. They are in trouble. It's also a huge "if" as far as in-ring work goes. Can he be carried to a good match? Yes.  Will he ever become a great big match worker? That remains to be seen. 

If Bryan was given a real shot to see if he could carry the company I would be far more interested... but they didn't. Anyone who says they gave him a fair shot is fooling themselves.

• Like 1

Taking a step back here, I just wish I could watch as I did when I was younger. I didnt care who was getting pushed, I was just happy to see my favorites show up. I was thrilled if Bam Bam Bigelow crushed a jobber on Superstars or Crush was fighting Repo Man at Summerslam. I want to not care about who is "the chosen one" or who is gonna be the next Cena.

You were a kid when you were younger. You probably don't appreciate movies, tv, books, food, etc the same way. I'd generally argue that being an adult broadens your perspective on matters. You don't just appreciate sweet or salty, you like sour and bitter as well.

I dont disagree with what you are saying, but what I meant was wishing I could watch and not try to pick apart everything and just enjoy the ride. Not shout at the driver about every bump in the road.

Obviously growing up gives you perspective and maturity and aquired tastes. Wrestling has been a staple of my life for going on 27 years, and I was just reflecting on a time when my childlike wonderment was fullfilled every time WWF, NWA, WCCW etc. came on, and wondering if wrestling itself was really that different or if jaded cynicism has taken away more than I thought.

Of course, I was left waiting in vain for Marty Jannetty to even the score with Shawn Michaels from the beginning and I never totally forgave/accepted HBK in all his later iterations for it out of some sense that the original wage of blood was never paid.

Also when I started watching the broadcasters were Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan so of course things could not help but always go downhill from there and that's not even anyone's fault :)

Maybe I was destined to be jaded and have a hipster's contrarian streak (Savage not Hogan, Rock not Austin) all the way.

So like The Bernie Mac show, but funny.

• Like 1

So like The Bernie Mac show, but funny.

Dude that was fucking savage.

On a side note, could you imagine Monty Brown in WWECW yelling at Kelly Kelly (in the role of 'nessa) to get in the van and do baby girl's hair? Better than Extreme Expose by a mile.

On another note, I thought this was sort of cool:

https://twitter.com/johncena/status/571043610579177472

Paul London. Chris Masters. Maybe Harry Smith? And I wonder what would have happened if the WWE had backed Matt Hardy instead of Jeff Hardy. Matt was a better wrestler, and his period of self-sabotage seemed a bit more brief...

Paul London. Chris Masters. Maybe Harry Smith? And I wonder what would have happened if the WWE had backed Matt Hardy instead of Jeff Hardy. Matt was a better wrestler, and his period of self-sabotage seemed a bit more brief...

SHELTON BENJAMIN. Between the MITB spots and the fantastic HHH match on Raw, I really feel like they missed the boat on that guy. I might be crazy, but I remember a lot of Sting comparisons around 2005ish (positive, obviously). Some people even like this match better than the Taka match HHH had

John Morrison to a degree. Dude has really been impressing me in LU. He and Miz should be with Dolph in a heel stable right now, with Big E as the muscle

I like Harry Smith, I still wanna see tape of what he did in Billy Corgan's promotion, but I'd have to imagine his ceiling is the level Tyson is at now in WWE's opinion, or they wouldve never released him.

Whatever happened to Trevor Murdoch? I will be honest here: I hated that guy until I started visiting this board, because I was 17 and had bad taste.

When Matt Hardy worked the V1 gimmick,  I thought for sure he was a future champion, especially since it was early in the era of two world titles

I wanted Luther Reigns to be great just because I thought he was rad on WCWSN

Speaking of London, as much as I love he and Kendrick as a team, I thought he and Kidman should have gotten a better push (though I think they had heat, and I was biased as a Kidman fan by default because he was a WCW guy)

Here's an unrelated question this question sparked, since I'm sort of keeping it to that 2004-2009 era of guys who can still go (and keep in mind, I have seen minimal TNA in the last few years): could Lashley come back and be a star in WWE tomorrow? I'm not talking about whether he'd get the push, I mean strictly in the sense of, how would the crowd react if he got a big time push tomorrow out of left field (maybe somewhere between, say, Rusev and Roman.. he might have even been there before he left)?

also Scott Fucking Steiner and Goldberg and I shouldnt have to explain those ones