DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

One contradiction in regards to the WWE booking strategy in regards to Bryan and Reigns that irks myself is that when Bryan got injured, it was declared proof that he wasn't the guy and couldn't be trusted as the ace, and they had to move on.  Yet when Reigns got injured shortly thereafter, they basically put everything in traction with total filler angles (i.e. Bella vs. Bella that was retconned within a month or so, Cena vs. Authority rehash) until he was healthy enough to make a return so that they could push him to the moon again.

Yeah they should have done those things they did with Reigns with Bryan.

With Reigns, we had regular updates on RAW how his injury was healing, and continued reminders of how popular and great he was.  Meanwhile, Bryan was in the mainstream media for celebrating at the World Series with the champions and made news headlines for foiling a burglary, the WWE was silent.  This is a company so starved for positive media exposure that they were hyping Eva Marie and Cameron for being on the E! pre-Oscar Red Carpet coverage that was being broadcast at the same time as one of their PPV events, yet they did all they could to ignore Bryan receiving attention outside of the WWE.  There isn't even a point in discussing the Superstar of the Year voting.

Yep they were being hypocrites. I don't think the World Series thing would have much impact. Means as much as John Cena as the starter at the Daytona 500. Shouldn't have been ignored by them though. Make people look like stars.

It's not blind zealotry and Bryan fandom that has people annoyed with the degree to which they are pushing Reigns.  It's frustration with the fact that Vince is digging his heels in and trying to push his vision with a guy that just isn't clicking with the audience (at least not to main event caliber), while seemingly going out of their way to cool off others who like Cesaro (I'm talking pre-affiliation with Heyman), Ziggler, even Orton.  What's the rush on making Roman the guy right here and now?  If he's the future of the business, then you can afford to cultivate an organic following.

This is where your view point falls apart and gives off the impression of blind zealotry even if it isn't true. You are complaining about the degree they are pushing Reigns while saying they should have done with Bryan. It makes no sense. The issue should be that they should have been treated the same. Everyone complains about the bad booking of Cesaro. It is something that should be fixed across the board. That is how you get people over. Reigns is one of the times they are actually getting it right. Should be done more often.

The plight of the Divas is hilarious.  There's like 15 of them on the main roster.  If people tagging hash really wanted them to get equal treatment to the men then over half of them would've been fired a long time ago.

You know who else can't do the finer technical aspects of professional wrestling and never gets anytime on Raw?  Bears.  #GiveBearsAChance.

I'm on the Roman Reigns bandwagon but a better WrestleMania main event would be Brock Lesnar defending the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against A BEAR!

Your reach at sarcasm is only outmatched by your attempt to pass off a condescending attitude toward female wrestlers as gender equality.

The complaining and negativity here isn't close to what it was during the HHH years.  And that was when half the message boards out there still required that you type in HTML, and there was no reddit or Facebook.  You kids are a bunch of amateurs. 

I can't wait until the other ROH guys get called up from NXT and there's, like, five Daniel Bryans running around getting everyone pissed about booking and pushes.

I started watching again after "the pipe bomb" and really enjoyed myself up to last year's Mania.  Since then, it's just been pretty bad, sort of like what I remember when I quit watching in 2007 or so.  Every now and then I run into people who watch wrestling, and they all agree that things have been kind of shitty for the past several months.  Every pop culture outlet that dips into wrestling, from Grantland to the AVClub, all agrees that it's kind of shitty right now.  It seems, in fact, like it's common knowledge that the WWE main shows are pretty shitty right now, and that's sort of a silly thing to be contrary over.  At least when I was watching TNA for the train wreck factor several years ago, I admitted that the show was complete garbage and it entertained me largely because sometimes I enjoy watching garbage.

I probably won't be watching much longer, especially with there being more wrestling out there to watch on TV right now than at any point since at least the 90s.  Adding in online content, including the WWE Network, and there's just so many alternatives.  It's a great time to be a wrestling fan.

• Like 2

One contradiction in regards to the WWE booking strategy in regards to Bryan and Reigns that irks myself is that when Bryan got injured, it was declared proof that he wasn't the guy and couldn't be trusted as the ace, and they had to move on.  Yet when Reigns got injured shortly thereafter, they basically put everything in traction with total filler angles (i.e. Bella vs. Bella that was retconned within a month or so, Cena vs. Authority rehash) until he was healthy enough to make a return so that they could push him to the moon again. 

With Reigns, we had regular updates on RAW how his injury was healing, and continued reminders of how popular and great he was.  Meanwhile, Bryan was in the mainstream media for celebrating at the World Series with the champions and made news headlines for foiling a burglary, the WWE was silent.  This is a company so starved for positive media exposure that they were hyping Eva Marie and Cameron for being on the E! pre-Oscar Red Carpet coverage that was being broadcast at the same time as one of their PPV events, yet they did all they could to ignore Bryan receiving attention outside of the WWE.  There isn't even a point in discussing the Superstar of the Year voting.

It's not blind zealotry and Bryan fandom that has people annoyed with the degree to which they are pushing Reigns.  It's frustration with the fact that Vince is digging his heels in and trying to push his vision with a guy that just isn't clicking with the audience (at least not to main event caliber), while seemingly going out of their way to cool off others who like Cesaro (I'm talking pre-affiliation with Heyman), Ziggler, even Orton.  What's the rush on making Roman the guy right here and now?  If he's the future of the business, then you can afford to cultivate an organic following.

I don't want to choose sides, but I think a sports hernia is an injury that is regarded as routine, treatable, has a consistent timeline for recovery and no potential lingering effects. Bryan's neck injury had none of those things. I think you are comparing apples and oranges a little bit. When you compare Bryan's injury to other major neck injuries, like Edge, and Kurt Angle, the treatment was pretty similar, with a note regarding the surgery, but no real mentions on air after that. 

Bryan's injury wasn't like Edge's or Angle's. He didn't need spinal fusion. 

• Like 1

While I agree Eva, Cameron, and Rosa are only on the roster for the Total Diva's show, Rosa isn't completely useless. Her and Zack Ryder were an amazing duo in ECW and in typical WWE fashion they went and screwed that up by seperating them and I've never forgiven the WWE for doing that.

Also on the subject of small guys all roided up, didn't Adrian Nevelle (PAC) used to be a scrawny guy back in his European wrestling days. I see him now and all that muscle mass he has just looks so disproportionate to his body.

• Like 1

I don't want to choose sides, but I think a sports hernia is an injury that is regarded as routine, treatable, has a consistent timeline for recovery and no potential lingering effects. Bryan's neck injury had none of those things. I think you are comparing apples and oranges a little bit. When you compare Bryan's injury to other major neck injuries, like Edge, and Kurt Angle, the treatment was pretty similar, with a note regarding the surgery, but no real mentions on air after that. 

Bryan's injury wasn't like Edge's or Angle's. He didn't need spinal fusion. 

That's fair, but I think my point still stands that there was no clear time table for his return. I could be wrong, but I feel as though even the initial reports about Bryan's injury were murky and negative, and didn't say there was a clear path to recovery. 

Has anyone mentioned that Rey Rey finally got his release?

Did he? Good for him! Too bad he can't wear his mask in Mexico though. Wait, can he even still wrestle?

They changed the rules slightly when Silver King decided to mask himself again. A luchador can re-mask after 5 years.

Has anyone mentioned that Rey Rey finally got his release?

Did he? Good for him! Too bad he can't wear his mask in Mexico though. Wait, can he even still wrestle?

They changed the rules slightly when Silver King decided to mask himself again. A luchador can re-mask after 5 years.

Ah, good. His aging boy face always weirded me out. Like those kids in Akira.

• Like 5

Also on the subject of small guys all roided up, didn't Adrian Nevelle (PAC) used to be a scrawny guy back in his European wrestling days. I see him now and all that muscle mass he has just looks so disproportionate to his body.

He generated that mass during his stint in Dragon Gate.