DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Not just in that BEN! post, but in a number of places, I see people saying that a large part of support for the in-ring work of the women is that we have lower standards for them then the men. I hate that idea because I actually genuinely enjoy the women. I'm not doing some "grading on a curve" thing. If I enjoy, say, Sasha Banks or Bayley or Nikki Bella's roaring forearms, it's just because I enjoy them. I'm not being disingenuous in any way. 

• Like 1

Not just in that BEN! post, but in a number of places, I see people saying that a large part of support for the in-ring work of the women is that we have lower standards for them then the men. I hate that idea because I actually genuinely enjoy the women. I'm not doing some "grading on a curve" thing. If I enjoy, say, Sasha Banks or Bayley or Nikki Bella's roaring forearms, it's just because I enjoy them. I'm not being disingenuous in any way.

This is what drives me nuts as well. There was a time back in 06 when I'd rather watch Rebecca Knox and Daizee Haze chain wrestle then anything the E was doing. Right now I'd say Sasha is my favorite pro wrestler in the WWE.

You know who else can't do the finer technical aspects of professional wrestling and never gets anytime on Raw? Bears. #GiveBearsAChance.

Back to the also-"funny" Bunkhouse Buck fantasy booking with you.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get the appeal of that particular routine.

• Like 4

One contradiction in regards to the WWE booking strategy in regards to Bryan and Reigns that irks myself is that when Bryan got injured, it was declared proof that he wasn't the guy and couldn't be trusted as the ace, and they had to move on.  Yet when Reigns got injured shortly thereafter, they basically put everything in traction with total filler angles (i.e. Bella vs. Bella that was retconned within a month or so, Cena vs. Authority rehash) until he was healthy enough to make a return so that they could push him to the moon again. 

With Reigns, we had regular updates on RAW how his injury was healing, and continued reminders of how popular and great he was.  Meanwhile, Bryan was in the mainstream media for celebrating at the World Series with the champions and made news headlines for foiling a burglary, the WWE was silent.  This is a company so starved for positive media exposure that they were hyping Eva Marie and Cameron for being on the E! pre-Oscar Red Carpet coverage that was being broadcast at the same time as one of their PPV events, yet they did all they could to ignore Bryan receiving attention outside of the WWE.  There isn't even a point in discussing the Superstar of the Year voting.

It's not blind zealotry and Bryan fandom that has people annoyed with the degree to which they are pushing Reigns.  It's frustration with the fact that Vince is digging his heels in and trying to push his vision with a guy that just isn't clicking with the audience (at least not to main event caliber), while seemingly going out of their way to cool off others who like Cesaro (I'm talking pre-affiliation with Heyman), Ziggler, even Orton.  What's the rush on making Roman the guy right here and now?  If he's the future of the business, then you can afford to cultivate an organic following.

• Like 7

I just went back realized that Ben post had 4 fucking likes. For a post that compared women's abilities to be a professional wrestler to a wild animal.

I'm judging some of you guys really hard right now.

I liked his post for the part about if divas were treated the same way as the men, half of them would be gone, not for the comparison of their wrestling skills to a bear.  

There's women still employed by WWE for no reason beyond "they are part of Total Divas". Rosa Mendes, Cameron and Eva Marie have shown zero ability to do their jobs in a wrestling ring.

• Like 1

One contradiction in regards to the WWE booking strategy in regards to Bryan and Reigns that irks myself is that when Bryan got injured, it was declared proof that he wasn't the guy and couldn't be trusted as the ace, and they had to move on.  Yet when Reigns got injured shortly thereafter, they basically put everything in traction with total filler angles (i.e. Bella vs. Bella that was retconned within a month or so, Cena vs. Authority rehash) until he was healthy enough to make a return so that they could push him to the moon again. 

With Reigns, we had regular updates on RAW how his injury was healing, and continued reminders of how popular and great he was.  Meanwhile, Bryan was in the mainstream media for celebrating at the World Series with the champions and made news headlines for foiling a burglary, the WWE was silent.  This is a company so starved for positive media exposure that they were hyping Eva Marie and Cameron for being on the E! pre-Oscar Red Carpet coverage that was being broadcast at the same time as one of their PPV events, yet they did all they could to ignore Bryan receiving attention outside of the WWE.  There isn't even a point in discussing the Superstar of the Year voting.

It's not blind zealotry and Bryan fandom that has people annoyed with the degree to which they are pushing Reigns.  It's frustration with the fact that Vince is digging his heels in and trying to push his vision with a guy that just isn't clicking with the audience (at least not to main event caliber), while seemingly going out of their way to cool off others who like Cesaro (I'm talking pre-affiliation with Heyman), Ziggler, even Orton.  What's the rush on making Roman the guy right here and now?  If he's the future of the business, then you can afford to cultivate an organic following.

I don't want to choose sides, but I think a sports hernia is an injury that is regarded as routine, treatable, has a consistent timeline for recovery and no potential lingering effects. Bryan's neck injury had none of those things. I think you are comparing apples and oranges a little bit. When you compare Bryan's injury to other major neck injuries, like Edge, and Kurt Angle, the treatment was pretty similar, with a note regarding the surgery, but no real mentions on air after that. 

• Like 1

One contradiction in regards to the WWE booking strategy in regards to Bryan and Reigns that irks myself is that when Bryan got injured, it was declared proof that he wasn't the guy and couldn't be trusted as the ace, and they had to move on. 

This is a line that I've never understood and I've even seen people on here say this.

Did he choose to be injured? Injuries can happen to everyone. Pretty much everyone, who ever wrestled was injured at some point of their career. Triple H himself missed a year.

I just don't get how him getting injured is proof that he shouldn't be the top guy.

• Like 1

Taking a step back here, I just wish I could watch as I did when I was younger. I didnt care who was getting pushed, I was just happy to see my favorites show up. I was thrilled if Bam Bam Bigelow crushed a jobber on Superstars or Crush was fighting Repo Man at Summerslam. I want to not care about who is "the chosen one" or who is gonna be the next Cena. I guess what I'm saying is I hate my mother.

• Like 1

I don't want to choose sides, but I think a sports hernia is an injury that is regarded as routine, treatable, has a consistent timeline for recovery and no potential lingering effects. Bryan's neck injury had none of those things. I think you are comparing apples and oranges a little bit. When you compare Bryan's injury to other major neck injuries, like Edge, and Kurt Angle, the treatment was pretty similar, with a note regarding the surgery, but no real mentions on air after that. 

Austin?

Taking a step back here, I just wish I could watch as I did when I was younger. I didnt care who was getting pushed, I was just happy to see my favorites show up. I was thrilled if Bam Bam Bigelow crushed a jobber on Superstars or Crush was fighting Repo Man at Summerslam. I want to not care about who is "the chosen one" or who is gonna be the next Cena.

You were a kid when you were younger. You probably don't appreciate movies, tv, books, food, etc the same way. I'd generally argue that being an adult broadens your perspective on matters. You don't just appreciate sweet or salty, you like sour and bitter as well.

• Like 2