DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

WWE Network's Facebook page shared an image of the Steph/AJ back and forth. Looks like an angle or something that they're happy to just run with

They have to publically. It would look terrible if they tried to shut AJ up. Doesn't mean they like it.

Punk tweeted in support of AJ about this yesterday. If it was intended to be an angle from the start, no chance he'd do that.

And while Cristobal and quite a few have reached apathetic points of fandom in regards to WWE, how many would come back should Vince come to the conclusion that Roman isn't nearly ready for the top spot?

Anyone who was a big fan of Benoit and Guerrero and still watches a lot of wrestling obviously has more hope than brains. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if I signed back up onto the Network just to get the next NXT Takeover. Because the hope isn't that the whims of either the fanbase or the tiny gay elf that lives in Vince's head and makes decisions on who to push will shift when the wind blows. The hope is that his doofus son-in-law's tastes more closely match my own, and that even if Bryan doesn't get the shot at the top that I (and apparently Meltzer) think he should have, that maybe the next guy will.

I decided after Summerslam that I would give the WWE until WM, then decide. Right now it sounds like I'll be done.  NXT is great, but it will get gutted/ruined at some point soon.

I just think pro wrestling in the US is going to slowly die now.

I think Roman is ruined now- if he's main eventing in ten years- the Raw Zone will return, at Universal Studios.

I gotta admit I didn't have my editing filter on, but I edit for a living and Meltzer's piece wasn't so bad. Seemed a step up from some of his usual stuff.

I've argued this before - you can't hold Meltzer to the same standard as a "journalist," because if any of you read small-town newspapers, you'd realize Meltzer's a step above the "journalists" writing for a living. He's not a journalist, he's a wrestling journalist. He gets a semi-pass from me over grammar and structure because he has his own unique niche.

He always makes good points, and I like reading his writing. He pegs the whole Reigns-Bryan debate. I say Bryan makes the better matchup for Lesnar in a strict "can he outsmart the beast?" manner, not "can he outbeast the beast" like with Reigns.

Besides, if Reigns winning is circling the bowl, they just have Rollins cash in, no sweat. Rollins is over enough as a heel to carry the title for a while.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Fastlane or RAW yet, so maybe the dynamics have changed, but surely it must be obvious to everyone that, to the fans, this isn't a a Reigns vs Bryan thing but a flat no to Reigns thing and people just happen to like Bryan at the same time.  After Bryan's elimination at the Rumble, there were a number of ways they could have still sent the fans home happy.  The crowd popped for Ambrose, Ziggler, Barrett, Sandow, Cesaro a little bit, and JACK SWAGGER.

I haven't seen Fastlane or RAW yet, so maybe the dynamics have changed, but surely it must be obvious to everyone that, to the fans, this isn't a a Reigns vs Bryan thing but a flat no to Reigns thing and people just happen to like Bryan at the same time.  After Bryan's elimination at the Rumble, there were a number of ways they could have still sent the fans home happy.  The crowd popped for Ambrose, Ziggler, Barrett, Sandow, Cesaro a little bit, and JACK SWAGGER.

Reigns has been mostly over post Rumble.

I rarely if ever paid attention to WWE save for a few big events between 04 and 10 or so.  Most of the reason was people like Cena, Orton and Edge, who completely weren't appealing to me as key players being the main faces of the company.  Are things that significantly worse now than they were then?  Granted they had guys like Eddy, Benoit, and Rey working full time and more leeway in how un-PG things could be, but based on what stuff I've seen from that era on the network it doesn't seem to be that much worse.  This could be personal preference, but I thought Cena was terrible up until just a few years ago when he seemed to come into his own without having to be carried by someone significantly better.  Reigns isn't that much older now than Cena was in his formative years, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility he couldn't get to that level.

Just reposting this to make sure I didn't imagine it.

*sigh*

Actually gave me goosebumps re-watching that. That is some attitude era level pops. Pretty sure if he wasn't getting reactions like that they would have kept him in the Wyatt family as a heel as well, so it's not like they haven't tried that route already.

• Like 1

Again, all this Reigns criticism doesn't need to be complicated busllshit analysis. It just boils down to 'he isn't Bryan Danielson.' I don't care what asshole you pushed instead, it would still be that criticism of the guy. Yes, there are still losers who call him that because they are too cool for school.

And last rant on the divas until Monday:

I started watching Raw 'seriously' again around 2000. Anyone who think women have no place on the show wasn't watching before 2006. I will grant you that there are too many women or that some of them stink in a wrestling capacity. But AJ and Brie proved in the last few years that when you make a 'diva' an important part of the show, the crowd will fucking care.

People talk about popular women of the past. But does anyone think people would've gave a shit if Wendi didn't Have that run with Lauper? Like if she was just having 30 seconds to 3 minute matches that you could plug and play into any show and you wouldn't know the difference? And I would like to think most of us know the importance of Cyndi Lauper and Wendi to the WWF in the 80's.

Which is why I hate that I have to go looking for Main Event. It's an 45 minute show, but most weeks has a divas match that goes about five minutes hell to bell. And some weeks have been the 15 min featured match. I don't think any time they gotten that 15 minute match was wasted because all I them have been good.

Botchedspot.com providing you with the most simple, obvious joke possible since 1989.  

When you want to see a comic without any wit or intelligence, think Botchedspot.com!  

Have a meme you've seen at least 27 places this week?  Send it to Botchedspot.com, the cutting edge in making the same joke in the same boring way!

Botchedspot.com!

• Like 3

My take on "Romangate" (please everyone start calling it that) is pretty simple. I really like Roman. I think he has the look and pretty serious potential. Do I think Bryan is a better wrestler? Yes, because I have a full functional brain. The problems Roman has right now are problems that Sugar Daddy VKM is creating for him. Reigns can totally be "the guy"...in about two years. He's just not ready and the fans know it. Would I rather see Bryan vs. Brock. Sure, but I also know it's not going to happen. I don't like it but it has less to do with "the wrong guy" than it does with "pretty boy isn't ready yet."

Now, to the bigger point. I find it ridiculous that people are saying fans are bad when they boo at a product they want to see improve. Look, for the most part, Vinny Mac has the only show in town and if we want big time rasslin', we have very few options. With that said, lack of competition has resulted in a lazy, self-indulgent, and frankly tone deaf product. The company hears two things and two things only, the cash register and the main stream media. When tickets don't sell, ratings go down, the network loses subscriptions, that gets their attention. However, because we have the one place to get our sweet sweet big time rasslin', for the most part, we're not going anywhere. So, the other recourse is to boo shitty, lazy writing that takes blind faith for granted. When that happens, the rest of the sports and entertainment media take notice and point the spotlight on the creative direction of the company. Folks love to bag on Punk around these parts but "a millionaire who should be a billionaire" and "better off when Vince is dead" don't feel like platitudes so much as they feel like cold hard truth.

I reserve the right to call bullshit on an awful product and shame on anyone suggesting other wise. The "shut up and cheer what we tell you to cheer" mentality is terrible for stuffing instead of potatoes that brings us all here in the first place.

• Like 3

The Reigns criticism and muted reactions started well before Bryans return at the Royal Rumble. Was that criticism also because he wasn't Bryan Danielson?

All the audience is looking for is a good story. 

Bryan fandom aside. The Bryan story makes all of the sense in the world. Bryan is stripped out his title due to injury. It is unknown if he will wrestle again. He comes back at the rumble and somehow wins. Now he has to face off against an unstoppable monster to get back his title and no one thinks he has a chance. That's a compelling narrative.

The Reigns narrative is much less compelling. From day one, Reigns has been pushed as unstoppable. A true alpha male, with the look and the size and no flaws. Despite the audience cooling on him, he has continued to be an unstoppable force. It is his destiny to main event Mania and defeat Lesnar. There is no hook.

The problem you have with the divas is there is certainly an audience but due to a variety of factors they just don't have wide audience appeal. That's not to say there isn't an audience tna would kill for that would watch a weekly divas wrestling show.  Including, nxt they have a big divas roster. Why not give them their own show at full sail and see if it takes?

The problem with all of this is it made sense in theory. Have the monster destroy the Streak, destroy the two most popular wrestlers on the roster, new young star wins Rumble, dethrones the Beast. But when things went off the rails, Bryan got hurt, Reigns got hurt, Vince was scripting Reigns promos and they tried to turn him into "smiling Diesel". Now they're scrambling to fix what they destroyed in Reigns mystique because they only have a short time till Mania and there's only one outcome that can occur, the next young thing destroys the Beast. WWE couldn't audible to Bryan or anyone else. Once Vince made the decision for Brock to beat Taker, the end of Mania 31 was set and if the crowd shits on it...well they can redub the crowd noise for the DVD

On the one hand I find it pretty funny that everyone who yells about them not pushing new guys suddenly hate the idea of them pushing a new guy, especially when the veteran choice is coming off being out for nearly a year after nearly Orndorffing himself.  For all the mocking we do about Barrett being injury prone, I can definitely see WWE's point about not wanting to put their main title on Bryan in a match that might end up seeing him injured again (through no fault of Brock's, but Bryan going all out because it's Mania and Lesnar)

On the other hand, I selfishly want to see it happen.  That it's not going to happen really *is* the best for business long term, and likely for Bryan too.  The man loves grappling, I'm sure he could get over an almost totally mat-based style that would lengthen what's left of his career.

The problem you have with the divas is there is certainly an audience but due to a variety of factors they just don't have wide audience appeal. That's not to say there isn't an audience tna would kill for that would watch a weekly divas wrestling show.  Including, nxt they have a big divas roster. Why not give them their own show at full sail and see if it takes?

What factors, and according to whom? If the audience doesn't care about the divas, it's because they've been conditioned not to. They're no different than any of the male midcard acts.

• Like 1

Meltzer was right - the main difference here is that Bryan has more charisma than Reigns. He's got more of that "it" factor, yet they seem to be constantly keeping him down for some unknown reason. It's truly "best for business" to run with your hottest guy right now, and Bryan is it. Then if Lesnar is leaving, you segue Bryan into a feud with Rollins, easy peasy.

Plus, wrestling fans hate the inevitable. It seems inevitable that Lesnar go back to the UFC. It has seemed inevitable for months that Reigns is gonna be the guy who beats him. What's the fun of watching the movie if you know how it's gonna end? That said, I still think everyone gets SWERVED~! somehow at Wrestlemania.

• Like 2

Again, all this Reigns criticism doesn't need to be complicated busllshit analysis. It just boils down to 'he isn't Bryan Danielson.' I don't care what asshole you pushed instead, it would still be that criticism of the guy. Yes, there are still losers who call him that because they are too cool for school.

That's really what it boils down to.  There's nothing wrong with Roman.  You may not like how he's been booked and think he isn't ready, but the guy himself is fine.  But he's not Bryan, and for many (I'm not saying everyone feels that way, so don't get it twisted), that makes Roman worthless.

Thing is--even if Roman were to pushed down to NXT and ultimately fired, that wouldn't make Vince choose Bryan as his guy.  Vince would probably choose someone else--again.

All these people saying to cheer for Bryan when Roman comes out are wasting their time IMO.  They think if they boo Roman enough, his career will be destroyed and Bryan will get booked into the main event.  That's not how it works.

I'm not saying anyone has to like Roman. Just know that even if Vince cools off with him, Vince can still go in any non-Bryan direction.

Took forever, but I'll finally be attending a World League Wrestling show tomorrow night in Troy, Missouri.  They had a show scheduled there last Saturday but had to postpone due to ice on their parking lot(the Troy events are held at their training facility).  Should be a good time.  Nothing in the immediate area on Saturday, oddly enough.

March looks like this at the moment:

-Saturday 3/7:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO; Pro Wrestling Epic in Pontoon Beach, IL
-Saturday 3/14:  Pro Wrestling Championship Series in Granite City, IL; MMWA in St. Louis, MO
-Saturday 3/21:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Nikolai Volkoff appearing); World League Wrestling in Troy, MO

ROH will be back in Collinsville in June...hoping for Styles or Joe to be on the card.