DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

so Fantasy booking the idea of Cena not getting the rematch till Mania which of these is the better way?

1) Cena stays around but builds himself back up by starting of in a tag team theb U.S. title then IC?

2) Cena off tv maybe the occasional taped package of him working out or watching tape then at the rumble at the 20th spot Cena's music hits?

Cena loses to Rusev at the next PPV in the same way as Fastlane.

Then teams up with Ziggler to take down The Authority. Ziggler gets the pins in all the big matches though so questions are asked if the beatings have dulled Cena's edge.

Authority makes Cena v Ziggler on RAW for a spot in the Rumble.

Cena wins, enters the Rumble #3 and throws out Reigns and Rusev last to win it all.

Lesnar defends the title against Ambrose and Rollins in a triple threat at the Rumble.

Cena and Ziggler go one on one at Fastlane with Cena's #1 spot on the line. Cena feels bad his friend got screwed out of a Rumble shot or something...

Mania is then -

Cena v Lesnar

Reigns v Rusev

IC title 4 way

Wyatt v Taker

Sting v HHH

Team Brass Ring v Usos with Rikishi run in.

Womens match.

Orton v Rollins

Bryan v Sheamus

HoF stuff with Emma and the Bushwackers dancing

Cena should've definitely been kept off tv for a month or so after Summer Slam. Vince passed up a golden opportunity to get Cena real sympathy, and build to an amazing rematch with Cena slowly regaining his confidence until he called out Brock. I guess he thought why bother to try to make Cena interesting at this point lol.

If Roman Reigns was in Cena's position chasing Rusev he would be getting great reactions from everyone.

That's the level he is at right now - Upper midcarder being prepped for "The Push"

It's not a 'We want Bryan' thing. It's a 'Roman isn't ready' thing.

I almost wonder if this would have been smart to do when they did the "Shield has all the belts" thing - rather than making Ambrose the US Champ, maybe they should have made Reigns the US Champ and gave Ambrose and Rollins the tag belts. That would have forced Reigns to get that singles experience and made him more prepared in-ring for the push he's getting right now.

I've honestly never gotten this - what's so empowering about "Brie Mode"? Doesn't that come from Total Divas, where she just gets black out drunk and screams it in various nightclubs? Brie should be with the Rosebuds, if anything. :P

If Brie Mode is getting black out drunk, I've been in Brie Mode many, many, many times.

RefMattyD570, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:RefMattyD570, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

L_W_P, on 25 Feb 2015 - 6:06 PM, said:L_W_P, on 25 Feb 2015 - 6:06 PM, said:

If Roman Reigns was in Cena's position chasing Rusev he would be getting great reactions from everyone.

That's the level he is at right now - Upper midcarder being prepped for "The Push"

It's not a 'We want Bryan' thing. It's a 'Roman isn't ready' thing.

I almost wonder if this would have been smart to do when they did the "Shield has all the belts" thing - rather than making Ambrose the US Champ, maybe they should have made Reigns the US Champ and gave Ambrose and Rollins the tag belts. That would have forced Reigns to get that singles experience and made him more prepared in-ring for the push he's getting right now.

He would've been badly exposed in singles on tv at that time. He should've been working more singles matches on house shows before the break up. They knew what the end game was for the Shield, and that Reigns was going to get a big push. There's no excuse for not getting him more singles time at house shows before the break up.

I think the biggest thing people don't seem to get in the whole Bryan vs. Reigns thing is this:

WWE isn't looking for a guy who can main event WrestleMania in 2015.

They're looking for a guy who will be there to main event WrestleMania in 2025.

Tht ain't Bryan. And they'll sacrifice Bryan now to get that train started for Reigns.

• Like 2

I think the biggest thing people don't seem to get in the whole Bryan vs. Reigns thing is this:

Tht ain't Bryan. And they'll sacrifice Bryan now to get that train started for Reigns.

Again, this makes no sense. Reigns is 4 years older than Daniel Bryan, not to mention that this is a company that planned on having a 40+ year old Batista headline WM last year. There's also nothing showing that Reigns' longevity will be any longer than Bryan's.

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

• Like 1

Yep.  It's no accident that the four guys Vince named as future superstars during his Stone Cold podcast (The Shield and Bray Wyatt) are all under the age of 30.  Barring something unforseen, they'll be around for 10-12 years. With his neck surgery, things look cloudier with Bryan.

But who the hell wants a guy who's gonna main event for 10 years? It's been dull enough with Cena and Orton, but Reigns is a lot worse. Main eventers don't need to last anywhere near that long. Austin and Rock were just a few years each. There's no reason Bryan couldn't have had that role while they let someone naturally grow into the next guy. 

• Like 2

As a promoter or owner, why wouldn't you want a guy who could main event and be placed at the top of the card for a decade? Forget how you personally feel about Roman, why wouldn't you want that? Austin, Shawn, and Rock seem like exceptions to the rule as far as tenure as main eventers and those were extenuating circumstances; crippling injuries and becoming a Hollywood megastar.

Ideally, you want a few guys at the top at any given time.  If Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, and Wyatt all hit--the table is set and they can have other guys float in and out at the top as needed on short runs for variety. Not to mention that Orton will still be around. 

There's a place for Bryan in that.  Whether his hardcore fans will be satisfied with that is another story.

mco543, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

Actually there are several reasons to think he can't have a John Cena like run. Let's start with the fact that no one besides maybe a few hundred women at each show even care about him. Then there's the fact he's no where near Cena's level of charisma, and is no where near Cena on the mic. Maybe one day he'll be a great big match worker, but as of now he's no where near Cena in that regard either.

This is the most forced and unnatural push to being "the guy" that I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I'm talking strictly about longevity on top and I don't think Roman is that far off, if he even is, from where Cena was when he got the nod. I'm seeing the exact same criticisms of each; can't work, needs to be overly protected in the ring, pushed down our throats, smarks revolting, etc. Can Roman be the next Cena? I have no idea but as he continues to progress and get comfortable with and grow into his role I don't see any reason why he can't if he stays as healthy as the average top tier guy. Of course there's a million variables and things could change in a second and who knows Finn Balor or someone may come onto the main roster and catch fire with everyone but if WWE is planning the next decade with Roman as a face of the company they backed a good horse.