DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

My inner Alicia Florick tells me Punk needs to prove that Dr. Amann has been referenced or appeared during injury angles on the show and is therefore a public figure making defamation a much higher standard.

I"M NOT A TV LAWYER BUT I WATHC THEM ON T V!!!!

He was, in fact, on NXT this week.

Yeah - acting like a shitty doctor - I mean - who would let Sami Zayn fly to Abu Dhabi after that beating he took last week?

Cause the CAT Scan was clear.

• Like 2

The thing about this suit is that unless Punk can prove these allegations this will fall under slander or even libel. The doctor isn't a public figure. There's no way unless they get former employees to testify about that Doctor that Punk wins. Even fair comment and criticism wouldn't hold up.

Never mind I miss read

Jesse Ventura is suing the publisher of Chris Kyle's book for not checking on the factual accuracy of the story about him even though his identity was never alluded to in the actual book.

You can pretty much sue anybody for anything.

The good news for Cabana is that 'Boom Boom' is a decent hobo name.

• Like 1

Jesse Ventura is suing the publisher of Chris Kyle's book for not checking on the factual accuracy of the story about him even though his identity was never alluded to in the actual book.

You can pretty much sue anybody for anything.

Well he's suing the publisher because he sued and won a slander suit against Kyle (later, his estate), after Kyle went on Opie & Anthony and later Fox News and said the story in the book was explicitly about Ventura. (The story never happened.)

Libel isn't that hard to prove when you already have proof that the story is about you and patently false.

• Like 2

Which is why I don't think that Amann has nearly so easy a road, here. Someone said Punk will "have to prove his allegations". Dude. Backwards. Amann is the one making allegations. Punk said some shit on a podcast. Amann's lawyers are going to have to prove that what he said was false.

Absent WWE medical records basically diagnosing Punk with what Punk's post-WWE doctor said he had, or a pretty extensive look into WWE medical records to prove that treatment records are complete and accurate, (I have strong doubts here,) it's going to be difficult for Amann to prove falsehood.

• Like 2

The Rollins/Stewart thing is great. I love when they make JBL, a former FOX News contributor, say, "I LOVE JON STEWART!" whenever he's in the audience with his kids.

A lot of Fox News people actually do love Jon Stewart. A lot of people don't take that shit personally. Besides, you gotta have incredibly thick skin to work at Fox.

Re: Punk lawsuit, did anyone post this link from the WWE's own website? 

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-addresses-cm-punk-allegations-27130843

I don't see how not having a record proves anything; nor do I see how the video is necessarily proof that Punk was lying (if the growth is lower on his back and under the trunks, it would be hidden from view).

Weird question.

I am doing a lot more writing lately, freelance and stuff for myself.

One of the things I would like to do to keep me sane is to do a bit more writing about the things that I love; pro wrestling, music and movies.

I know what I like about movie writing. I know what I like about writing about music. Outside of recaps or news, I am not sure what sort of good writing is out there on pro wrestling.

So who is doing semi-regular writing about pro wrestling that isn't just news or recaps?

Re: Punk lawsuit, did anyone post this link from the WWE's own website? 

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-addresses-cm-punk-allegations-27130843

I don't see how not having a record proves anything; nor do I see how the video is necessarily proof that Punk was lying (if the growth is lower on his back and under the trunks, it would be hidden from view).

Interesting that this is on their website of all places, as you say, it could easily be laying under the waist band of his trunks and thus being compressed and hidden from plain view, I actually went back and watched that Rumble match to find out myself if I could see anything (yeah, I'm a loser) and saw nothing. But, I remember Kane also having a huge growth http://www.pwmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/kane-bump.jpg on his back in late November last year which was before Punk's podcast and conveniently sometime shortly after the podcast aired the lump had been removed. It's all pretty sketchy, I think Punk shitting himself in the ring is testament to the fact he was being fed all sorts from the doc to make him cope with it.