DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Midwest indy stuff for February:

-Friday 2/6:  3XW in Des Moines, IA (Jeremy Wyatt vs. Rory Fox for the title)
-Saturday 2/7:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO (Mike Outlaw vs. Brandon Espinosa for the title, Jake Dirden & Jackal vs. Guns
                           & Beer for the tag titles)
                         Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance at the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis, MO (Da'Marius Jones vs. Brian
                           James for the title, plus Bobby Eaton appearing)
-Sunday 2/8:  Wrestling Invades America in Edwardsville, IL in the Meridian Ballroom at SIUE (Jonathan Napier vs. Christian Rose vs.
                           Paco Gonzalez vs. Mallaki Matthews for the title, Brandon Espinosa vs. Matt Cage, Hooligans vs. Viking War Party)
-Sunday 2/15:  High Risk Wrestling in Belleville, IL (Tommaso Ciampa vs. Moose, Cedric Alexander vs. Jonathan Gresham, Bolt Brady
                          vs. Mike Sydal, Trevor Murdoch vs. Caleb Konley vs. Blake Belakis, Bravado Brothers vs. New Midnight Express w/
                          Bobby Eaton, Tony Kozina vs. Silas Young)
-Saturday 2/21:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Flash Flanagan vs. Gary Jackson for the title, Red
                             River Jack vs. Attila Khan, plus appearance by J.J. Dillon)
                          World League Wrestling in Troy, MO
                          World Powerhouse Wrestling in Collinsville, IL (Xavier Frost vs. Scar for the title)
-Saturday 2/28:  World League Wrestling in Excelsior Springs, MO

Saw some local indy wrestling last night called Superkick'd. Main event was Paul London vs Chris Sabin and I don't mind telling you I had a great time. Nothing like seeing some crowd clearing suicide dives to liven your night.

• Like 1

i loved that Halftime Heat match. well, until we got that closeup of the Rock ("forklift cam" is a perfect name for it) and it looked fake as hell. everyone i was watching with was into the match until that moment and it ruined the finish.

• Like 1

Saw some local indy wrestling last night called Superkick'd. Main event was Paul London vs Chris Sabin and I don't mind telling you I had a great time. Nothing like seeing some crowd clearing suicide dives to liven your night.

Was anyone ACTUALLY Superkick'd?

I'd bet EVERYONE was actually Superkick'd.

• Like 5

I'd bet EVERYONE was actually Superkick'd.Pretty much. Not Young Bucks level, but there were a fair share.

I'd bet EVERYONE was actually Superkick'd.

...and everyone kicked out at 2.

what if the announcement on RAW tomorrow involves setting a Fast Lane match for Fast Lane where the winner faces Brock later that night ("a fast lane to a title shot!")

Since the Rumble ended "controversially", the final 6 Rumble contestants will face each other in an elimination match for a title shot. The final six being Ziggler, Wyatt, Ambrose, Kane, Big Show and Rusev.

So have a big match to take Kane's spot in the match that Bryan wins. Have Cena/Rusev be for a spot in the Fast Lane match.

In theory, that kinda match could set up a few WM matches.

I don't see what the "controversy" could have been.  Reigns won fair and square.  Rock only got involved to clear out Show and Kane after those two had already been eliminated.

It'll probably involve Curtis Axel never officially entering the match and then Reigns beats him in thirty seconds with the spear.  "Controversy" over.

On the Cena/Rusev thing:  If that's for Fast Lane, then what will either of them do at Mania?  I could see Rock/Rusev, but what would Cena do?

I don't see what the "controversy" could have been.  Reigns won fair and square.  Rock only got involved to clear out Show and Kane after those two had already been eliminated.

It'll probably involve Curtis Axel never officially entering the match and then Reigns beats him in thirty seconds with the spear.  "Controversy" over.

On the Cena/Rusev thing:  If that's for Fast Lane, then what will either of them do at Mania?  I could see Rock/Rusev, but what would Cena do?

Rusev wins due to Lana interference. Cena wins at Mania in a Flag match or something.

I saw this on Reddit and thought you all might want to share in my "WTF?" reaction:

Everyone is talking about the Rumble, Reigns, Wrestlemania 31, and their disappointment that the streak being broken and Lesnar's title run was just a way to make Reigns "Look Strong". We must take a moment, as wrestling fans, to remember the ongoing storyline that is much larger than Wrestlemania, and much much larger than Lesnar, Rollins, Bryan, or Reigns. I'm talking about the big one, the 30 year storyline. At the end of the day it all points to the same ending. But before I get there it is important that I re-establish the story leading up to where we are now.

At Wrestlemania III Hulk Hogan lifted up Andre the giant and showed the world that through steroids and backstage politics anything is possible. At that moment he was a god among men. His muscles were huge, he was young (33 years old), and he was unstoppable. February 5, 1988, The Main Event occurs and Hogan's 1474 day title reign comes to a close. Many think that his could be the end for Hogan, but in actuality it was just the sowing of the seeds for the greatest story ever told.

In October 1988 WCW is founded. This was thought to be a great thing for wrestling fans and for the wrestlers. There was competition, and that would benefit everyone.

Hogan regained the title numerous times over the years, but he was never the unstoppable man he once was. The moment that title left his waist we knew the truth: Hulkamania could never last forever. New babyfaces took over the main event scene: Warrior and Savage.

The steroid trial happened and we thought we were watching was a new generation of wrestlers rising to the top: Hart, Undertaker, and Michaels. These were men that did not rely on oversized steroid induced muscles. No, they relied on promos, acrobatic skill, and a mastery of in-ring psychology to get over. The wrestling landscape had changed. Matches were becoming more complex. Gimmick matches arose (Iron Man, Ladder, & Hell in a Cell). Now Hogan was still wrestling during this period, but he started to be seen as a has-been. He was a man who was past his prime and needed to accept that Hulkamania was over.

The Attitude era came, and the crowd was enamored with the complex and long storylines. However, if they only knew the storyline that hid in the shadows, they would've marked out in awe at the genius of it. The Rock and Austin moved wrestling to a landscape where story was king. The Rock was and still is one of the most over wrestlers of all time, and a connection to him is a connection to stardom.

The Finger Poke of Doom occurs and wrestling fans take this as the prime example of how WCW fell apart and how Hogan's need to place himself at the top was a major piece of that. WCW is bought out by WWE and the Invasion angle occurs, which is seen by many to be only a shadow of what it could've been. WWE establishes dominance in the English speaking world as the premier wrestling company.

During this period The Undertaker's streak quietly grew. Each win made the streak larger and more arcane. It was something that could only occur once, it was an enigma that survived massive shifts in the industry. Through shoot interviews and tell-all books we learn about the man behind the undertaker. He's seen as a locker room leader. He's the judge in wrestler's court. We knew this man to be a senior of WWE, and while not everyone liked him he was nearly unanimously respected. We saw the streak as something that he would retire with, when in actuality it was a lump sum that grew with interest after each win, and it was waiting to be cashed in.

In 2002 a man named Brock Lesnar debuts. He did not have the lean build seen in the post-steroid wrestling world, instead he was massive. His physique made him a colossus in a world of giants. His physique combined with his natural abilities and skills to allow him perform powerhouse moves while moving with the agility of a cruiserweight. Brock, at 25, became the youngest WWE champion of all time. He was the next big thing. He had no love for the industry, it was only a job for him. This led to him leaving in 2004 so that he could pursue a career in the NFL. Brock later returned to combat sports in the form of UFC. He become UFC Heavyweight champion and later retired from MMA with a 5-3 record.

At Wrestlemania 21 John Cena won the WWE championship, and begun his tenure as the new face of the company. He held the belt numerous times over the following decade, and established himself as a force to be reckoned with, as he would never give up and never give in.

At Summerslam 2005 the pieces begin to fall into place. After nearly 17 years the storyline is still in its infancy. Vince Mcmahon has the major players playing their roles, but it is time for the final seed of the storyline to be sown, for after this the storyline would enter into a necessary long hibernation state. Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan have a feud planned which would last many matches. However, Hogan decided to have that match be the one and only. During this match Shawn Michaels played an integral role by overselling all of Hogan's moves. Hogan was victorious but the audience knew something was amiss. Rumours begun to spread about Hogan's continual refusal to put over new talent and his refusal to take a bump. The wrestling world began to see that Hogan is a shell of the man he once was. His muscles are gone and his body is broken. Hulkamania was dead.

Brock Lesnar would return to the WWE as a part time worker. He re-established the dominance that he held during his initial run. He was the Beast. The final player in the storyline is a man named Roman Reigns. He comes from a wrestling family; his cousin is The Rock. His job is to be the greatest heel ever seen.

At Wrestlemania XXX, the hibernation period ended, and the storyline entered into its closing chapters. Hulk Hogan came out to the ring and he was confused. He knew not where he was and any fan could tell that Wrestlemania IIIhung over him as both a crescendo of achievement and a curse of never being able to reach that point again. The lump sum that was the Undertaker's streak was finally cashed in. Brock Lesnar was the one to end the streak. Many were upset with this, but it was necessary to make a future wrestler look strong. The final act was about to begin on Vince McMahon's masterpiece.

At Summerslam 2014 Brock Lesnar would defeat John Cena in the way that a gorilla would defeat a cardboard cutout of a cartoon character. The man who broke the streak was now the man who conquered the face of the company in a way that no one had ever done before. At the 2015 Royal Rumble Roman Reigns won, which resulted in a outpour of negative feedback from the crowd. Vince McMahon was called out of touch and there were demands made that he step down. He knew the truth, and it was eating away at him. His greatest moment was before him, the crowd was ready.

Now that we are caught up, here's the truth: KEVIN NASH WAS RIGHT - IT'S ALL A WORK

All of it. Everything. Kayfabe was and still is in effect. Vince McMahon operates on such a deep level of kayfabe so that he may hide the true storyline from us. It's all fake, all of it.

Michaels's injury - work. They needed people to believe that wrestling could ruin a man's body.

Montreal Screwjob - work. They needed people to believe that backstage politics were a real thing.

WCW - WORK. The whole company was set up by Vince McMahon as part of the storyline. Hogan needed to look out of touch.

UFC - Work. Brock Lesnar needed to look strong.

NJPW, ROH, Lucha Underground, TNA, CHIKARA, etc. - All a part of WWE. They needed people to believe that there was real competition in the industry, and not just one massive corporation under Vince McMahon.

Guerrero - Still Alive. They needed people to believe that steroids were killing wrestlers, and that there would no longer be drug use in wrestling. He's currently a trainer at NXT. Upon meeting new arrivals he's known to say "I lied, esse."

Benoit and Family - Still Alive. This was to further the belief that wrestling was more than a show, and that they were real people who took real damage. He now works with Lesnar on perfecting Lesnar's German suplexes. When asked about it he said "I thought it was a bit over the top, but the crowd really bought it."

Warrior and Savage - Totally Alive. Their deaths were faked so that it seemed like a large amount of time had passed since the era of Hogan.

Vince is not trying to make Reigns look strong. He is trying to make Hogan look strong. At Wrestlemania 31 Reigns will win the belt from Lesnar. Later, Hogan will win the rumble. People will complain that he's old and decrepit. He's not. At Wrestlemania 32 Hogan will come out more ripped and full of steroids than a Greek god. He will put on a five star match which will end with him unveiling his double backflip moonsault.

We're still building here. This story started at Wrestlemania III, and it's a 30 year story, one more to go. At Royal Rumble 2016 Vince will play his final card. It'll be a 50-man rumble. Number one will make his entrance: From Grenoble in the French Alps. Standing 7 foot 4 and weighing over 500 pounds: ANDRE, THE GIANT. He will dominate the rumble. His inability to move in his later years was a work. He's agility far surpasses Lesnar's. He will eliminate all fourty-nine men.

Wrestlemania 33 - Silverdome - 200 000 in attendance - http://youtu.be/guG9cVs3ms4

Hogan defends the title in what will be known as the greatest spectacle of all time. Vince, now slightly older will come out to the ring.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you. I told my story, I now bid you all goodnight."

Hogan, Andre, and McMahon walk to the back as Hogan's theme plays. Watching Vince's final speech, Kevin Nash looks up at the falling confetti, he smiles and says to himself "I tried to tell 'em, but they never believed me." The next day WWE and all other wrestling promotions will close their doors, as the story of pro wrestling will be at its close.

TL:DR Vince McMahon is very determined to show "those damned millennials" how deep kayfabe goes.

DA FUCK?

• Like 5