DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I feel like it was July that it started to become obvious that HHH was about to become THE guy.

WMXV was such a forgettable, forgettable show.  Literally the only things I remember were Bart's death, Bossman's death, Austin's victory, and Michael Cole fucking up a promo for either QVC or HSN telling fans they could buy shirts from the "New WWF Champion" hours before the main event.  I totally remember our watch party going dead silent thinking that was the end of Michael Cole.

• Like 1

Ride Along is the Hardyz and Bo/Axel.

- Hardyz attempt to drive via atlas forsaking the GPS, Matt crosses an exit to take a leak.

- Bo leaves the building with Enzo's keys and has to go back.  Explains his conspiracy theories.  Gets lost a lot.

Next ep:

The Fashion Police and Rusev/Lana.

I'm looking forward to the next ep, but that had to have been the most boring one yet. Literally the only thing I remember other than Matt crossing freeway traffic with his awkward "my knees are basically dust" gait was that he apparently sewed Billy Gunn's "Bad Ass" headband.

Thoughts on Backlash 99

The Hardcore title elevated Al Snow, just like it did two months earlier when Bob Holly won it. This was a worthy title until it devolved into the 24/7 silliness.

The IC title was not so prestigious, as the Godfather came out with his Ho Train. His match with Goldust really didn't need the IC title to hold the fans' interest. Props to the Blue Meanie for spoofing Sable by doing "The Grind."

The New Age Outlaws got back together to beat Owen & Jarrett, but the WWF would go right back to pushing Billy Gunn as a singles wrestler at King of the Ring and SummerSlam.

Triple H and X-Pac had a very good match, elevating HHH toward the World title level. X-Pac was already tag team champs with Kane, but he would have been a credible IC champion.

ECW's influence was strong here, with a hardcore match, a Boiler Room Brawl and an Austin-Rock main event brawl around the building.

The Undertaker is the MVP of the night, even though he predicted a "tragedy" throughout the night. Obviously, it's a bad idea to throw that word around carelessly, as a real tragedy occurred one month later. Still, Undertaker's Ministry beat The Brood in the opener. Undertaker survived Ken Shamrock and all of his submission attempts to beat him in the middle of the ring with the tombstone, building him up for his title win at Over the Edge, which I can't bring myself to watch. Finally, Undertaker kidnapped Vince's daughter with the classic line... "Where to, Stephanie?"

7 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Backlash 99

The Hardcore title elevated Al Snow, just like it did two months earlier when Bob Holly won it. This was a worthy title until it devolved into the 24/7 silliness.

Agreed. People tend to think of the Hardcore title as a joke title nowadays but it was pretty legit in the beginning. I remember actually being excited to see the Road Dogg/Holly/Snow triple threat for the title at WM15. But of course, Russo did that stupid switch and put Gunn in the match. I felt like the title got devalued earlier than the 24/7 stuff though. I think it started with the Bossman/Al Snow stuff with the Kennel from Hell crap and then Bulldog winning the title and just handing it to Snow. That's when it started feeling like a prop to fill out segments in the show rather than something people wanted to win to me.

• Like 2

Lance Storm did the famous Flair/Funk I Quit match during his Awesome and Awful segment this week (awful was Sid vs. Nightstalker aka Adam Bomb) so I went back and re-watched it. He pointed out that Flair was jumping all over Funk's back and neck which is kind of dangerous but added to the realism b/c it looked like an actual fight. He also pointed out something I didn't notice before which was Gary Hart not really selling much for Flair whenever the match spilled to the outside. Storm chalked that up to Gary's age and deteriorated physical condition (he'd been through a pretty famous and major plane crash in the 70s) moreso than any malice or anything on Gary's part.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Hart made it clear he wouldn't bump due to his injuries from the plane crash, so if anybody is to blame it's Flair. 

It wasn't so much not bumping as not really reacting to Flair. I don't think anyone expected him to bump at that point, just kinda sell what was going on around him. Storm pointed out there was one sequence where Hart put himself directly between Funk and Flair and Storm said the only time a manager should ever do that is if they're going to do some kind of spot or bump but Hart was just kinda in the way.

I was just watching NXT and they had a quick segment called "Conversations with Bruno & Bob", is this just a filler or did they do something as a stand alone up or part of a series.  I hadn't read Bob's book, he talks about going to a gym someplace in 71 and Billy Graham being there and them working out and Billy asking him if he considered going into wrestling, then 8 years later them facing each other for the title in MSG.

11 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I was just watching NXT and they had a quick segment called "Conversations with Bruno & Bob", is this just a filler or did they do something as a stand alone up or part of a series.  I hadn't read Bob's book, he talks about going to a gym someplace in 71 and Billy Graham being there and them working out and Billy asking him if he considered going into wrestling, then 8 years later them facing each other for the title in MSG.

I checked the shows and it just looks like a filler episode in between shows.  Which is a shame because I would love to see a full episode with them talking.  Not sure if they show different conversations, but the one I saw last week was them discussing Backlund's heel run in the 90s.  It was nice seeing him talk normal and you could tell they have a ton of respect for each other.

Thoughts on No Mercy (UK) 1999

Shane McMahon came out with the Corporate Ministry and dropped the "bombshell" that the main event would be a no-DQ match. It happened nearly every month.

Not sure why Shane retired the European title a few weeks earlier, just to reactivate the belt to defend against X-Pac. Didn't anyone look at the calendar and say, "Hold up -- we're going to Europe soon"?

The Brood lost to the Acolytes and Viscera when Mideon interfered. The same thing happened at Backlash, only with Viscera and Mideon switching roles.

Tiger Ali Singh finally cut a decent promo on a UK PPV. He only needed three tries.

The WWF didn't exactly load up these UK pay-per-views with marquee matchups. This show included Tiger Ali Singh vs. Gillberg; Steve Blackman vs. Droz; Kane vs. Mideon; and Nicole Bass vs. Tori. 

Bass destroyed Tori in less than 30 seconds. She replaced Sable, who came out, did "The Grind," complained of a chest cold and walked out of the company. 

The announcers and Mick Foley sent well wishes to Davey Boy Smith, who did not appear in his hometown of Manchester. JR said Davey Boy had been through an injury and family tragedy, and unfortunately, another tragedy came a week later.

The Corporate Ministry beat up Mankind to lead to his loss against Billy Gunn. Mankind was the only member of the Union that made the trip to England.

Steve Austin gets the MVP award for retaining the WWF title against Undertaker and Triple H.  Mankind and the babyfaces ran off the Corporate Ministry to allow Austin to get the win over HHH. Referee Earl Hebner intruded on the post-match celebration again, even though the director kept trying to cut him out of the shot.

23 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Also really surprised to see Adam Blampied and Adam Pachiti in this.

Yep that was a "is that who I think it is?" rewind and pause moment for sure.

Really enjoyed the show. Owens is always a good subject for these kind of things. That moment with a disappointed Vince at gorilla was so uncomfortably awkward. 

On 20/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, The Green Meanie said:

I really, really enjoyed it. But damn them for showing that Festival Of Friendship clip again.

Also really surprised to see Adam Blampied and Adam Pachiti in this.

Owens vs Jericho should've been for the Universal Title. I mean not business wise, but storyline wise after Owens lost that...

Like Jericho cost Owens the thing he cared most about. Then they feuded for a few more weeks. 

Not to mention how weird it is that Jericho would seemingly, in canon, not want to wrestle for the Universal Title at Mania. 

Just catching up on the 24 documentaries. Thanks to editing, they made it appear like the only exercises Goldberg does are shoulder and neck. And his son really likes dabbing

Really enjoyed the Kurt Angle one, he's a nutcase to have gone on the way he did after the Brock match but it made me really glad to have him back in the WWE