DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Re: The Last Battle of Atlanta

Are we absolutely sure it's a great match? Up to now, we just have the word of the people that watched it live, correct? Could it have been so romanticized that the actual footage will never live up to the legend?

I'm very curious/excited to finally see what all the fuss was about.

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Re: The Last Battle of Atlanta

Are we absolutely sure it's a great match? Up to now, we just have the word of the people that watched it live, correct? Could it have been so romanticized that the actual footage will never live up to the legend?

I'm very curious/excited to finally see what all the fuss was about.

I'm honestly going to liken this to the Backlund/Snuka match that PWI once called one of the greatest matches of all time.  And it ended up being really good but surprisingly short and nowhere near the hype.  The legacy really comes from the Apter photos where it looks like both guys are bleeding to death and every shot of Tommy Rich he looks completely horrified.  The B&W photos were posted elsewhere, the color ones, both guys are just a mess.  And maybe they were for a minute or two, but you imagine the worst possible scenario.

I also think it helps that after the match Ole Anderson and Paul Ellering beat each other to a bloody mess too which only added to the legacy.

I will say that while I don't think it's probably a great match, it most likely is a Starrcade 85esque bloodbath.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be a good Southern brawl, and anything more than that is a bonus.  Like Niners said, match quality isn't the story here, it's the fact that we are even going to see it at all.  This is like those stories of classic movies being lost in a fire or some shit, and it turns out that Gary Marshall or someone had it in his basement the whole time.

Ran home from work under the guise of "an emergency" just to watch it. Brutal and bloody. I'm going to rewatch it when I get home, but as a wrestling fan, I feel somewhat complete now. Only thing left on my holy grail list is the early Kevin Sullivan devil worship angles. 

Man, poor Paul Ellering.  Ole just nailing him with shots that basically was saying that Paul wasn't bleeding enough and he had to fix that.

Incredible, hate filled.  Felt like the shortish time was just perfect because two guys laying into each other like that just can't last forever.  That final smash into the cage was so nasty.

• Like 1

Initial thoughts on LBOA:

Spoiler

-That cage Ellering was suspended in looked really rickety. I would've been terrified if I was in that thing.

-One huge pet peeve of mine is when a match between guys who are in a blood feud begins with a lockup. I didn't like it in Magnum/Tully, and I didn't like it here.

-I also wasn't a huge fan of Sawyer working an armbar in the opening minutes. But Rich breaks it by going low and from that point on, it's basically all punches and ramming each other's heads into the cage, which is exactly what I want from a match like this.

-I liked how they started a ten-count whenever both guys were laid out. It got over the brutality of the match while forcing them to keep things moving. In fact, I totally would've bought passing out from blood loss as a finish because they both bled buckets.

-I was a bit worried when I saw that the video was 28:53. Matches like this shouldn't be anywhere near that long. So I was pleasantly surprised when the match ended at 13:00 (the rest of the video is Ole/Ellering which took place immediately afterward). It ended up being the perfect length.

-Really good match overall. On first blush, I'd rank it behind Duggan/DiBiase among 80s cage matches but ahead of Final Conflict, Magnum/Tully, and Lawler/Idol.

Keeping it short made sense since they mostly just punched the shit out of each other and used the cage. They bled early as a result, and I bought that it was such a violent fight that there's no way it would have gone long. It wasn't transcendent like Tully/Magnum, but it was quite good!

And yeah, Ellering caught a whooping in the match right after. 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Keeping it short made sense since they eventually just punched the shit out of each other and used the cage. It wasn't transcendent like Tully/Magnum, but it was quite good!

I think that summarizes my feelings.  I kinda felt bad for Rich and Sawyer when they're both lying there bloodied and trying to catch a breather and the PA guy won't let them by giving them a legit ten count.

Actually who I really felt bad for Paul Ellering.  It's a minor miracle that crappy little cage he was in didn't come crashing to the ground.

Now that this is out, what else could they possibly troll the hardcore fans with to entice them into signing up? Can't do it all at once... just every few months or so in dribs and drabs to keep them renewing.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now that this is out, what else could they possibly troll the hardcore fans with to entice them into signing up? Can't do it all at once... just every few months or so in dribs and drabs to keep them renewing.

Roddy Piper has told the story of when he wrestled in (i think) California, vs. Chavo Guerrero, and he came out to apologize for whatever happened last week. As an apology, he was going to play the Mexican National Anthem on his bagpipes. So he started playing "La Cucaracha".

i would personally LOVE to see that for the fan reaction alone.

in 1996, WCW participated in a World Wrestling Peace Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wrestling_Peace_Festival). the WCW matches have never been available AFAIK, i'd like to see them.

speaking of WCW, they did a "Festival de Lucha" taping in 1999ish that has never been released.

they also did some "Pay-Per-Listens" in '97/'98 that i would be interested in. The concept was not much different than the Network Specials that WWE does now. PPV quality lineup without the PPV availability.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

a "Best of crazy WCW Luchador 6/8-man tags" would get me signed up for another month.

The Collections are one of my favorite things on there, just because I'm not going to do the legwork of sifting through everything for the good stuff and that makes it so easy.  Watching the cruiser weight one just brings back memories of all those matches which got me to seek out more wrestling than just WWF/WCW.

Whatever they are those poor pants didn't stand a chance.

Maybe the footage really has been with Ole the whole time and he just didn't want the world to see him in a blown out pair of boot cuts.

• Like 1