DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I remember on some podcast, Vader told the same exact story about Warrior.

Gary Hart talked about it in his book too. He said that Warrior was all set to go to Japan but Pat Patterson got wind of it and got him to come into the WWF early. I'd guess they didn't want him to go over there and either A. catch fire and make loads of money and want to stay or B. be exposed as a horrible worker or get hurt.

The quality from the latest Center Stage WCW is perhaps the best out of all the episodes uploaded. Also plants the seeds for Luger's amazing heel run of 1989.

Just awesome shit in general you have Muta spraying mist in Missy Hyatt's eyes and then having a fun match with Glacier.

This is perhaps one of my favorite eras in wrestling.

• Like 1

Been watching the NoC shows, and discovered Melina vs. Michelle McCool in 2009.

This match was so far ahead of its time. If this happened in 2014 NXT, people would've gone nuts for it. It's a 5-minute sprint that's just a constant stream of neat surprises, starting with Melina's entrance. It's two athletic women saying "fuck it, let's do something cool." You could make some technical complaints about the selling, but overall, the cool factor earns it a pass from me. You just didn't see women having matches like this at the time, and supports my criticism of the WWE narrative that women's wrestling was dead between Trish/Lita and the 4HW. Between Melina, Michelle, Beth, and Mickie, the talent was there, it was the institutional support that wasn't.

• Like 1

I don't remember that story, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. It was pretty easily the best match on the show, with only Punk/Hardy giving it a challenge, plus it just had that "wow" factor you don't get too often.

It's easier to say there wasn't much talent here than "We didn't care about women's wrestling too much." To be fair, the audiences didn't pop for anything related to the divas either except maybe Mickie.  So yeah Beth and Mickie and Melina have been erased from history but that's the way it goes.

It's easier to say that, but it's also shitty and conveniently allows WWE to gloss over the fact that it took them over a decade to even begin trying to fix the perception of women's wrestling brought about by years of sexist booking stemming from the attitude era. If you dropped the 4HW off back in 2007, they wouldn't be popping any crowds either only being allowed 5-minute matches and no one in creative giving a damn about their characters.

On 8/25/2016 at 3:46 PM, Go2Sleep said:

If this happened in 2014 NXT, people would've gone nuts for it.

I wouldn't go that far, but it is a fun sprint that reminds me a bit of the 1-2-3 Kid/Owen Hart match from KotR '94, maybe because Melina takes an even more violent version of the bump Kid takes at the start of the match. I thought that most of the credit should go to Melina for being a bump machine with no regard for her own body in this one. She had the bump off the apron, the Hamrick bump, and the barricade bump off the top of my head. On top of that, her flexibility made that half-crab look disgusting. It's often said around here that one benefit that the women have is their flexibility making routine holds look killer. 

Good sprint, but if it was the best match on the card by a long shot, this must have been a subpar card. I don't remember anything about it, and I've seen it before, so I'm guessing it's not too great. 

Owen/123 is a pretty good comparison for that match. It's in a spot where you're expecting a nothing match, then both wrestlers go way above and beyond with their 5-minute allotment. The show was pretty forgettable overall, as many shows in that 2009-11 range were, which is why I found that match to be an even more pleasant surprise.

On another NoC note, Taker/Kane from 2010 was a really good brawl. I was leery of the match length looking at the video timeline, but they kept it moving throughout. I'm not sure Kane was ever put over stronger in his WWE run than he was here.

• Like 3

I totally forgot about this: On 1/12/98's RAW, Jim Cornette comes out and proudly introduces a heel Rock 'n Roll Express...who then come out to the Rockers theme music. 

This was just wrong, all wrong. WRONG. 

15 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I totally forgot about this: On 1/12/98's RAW, Jim Cornette comes out and proudly introduces a heel Rock 'n Roll Express...who then come out to the Rockers theme music. 

This was just wrong, all wrong. WRONG. 

The R&R actually had a brief stint as heels during the USWA/Smoky Mountain feud. They basically wrestled like they were cosplaying Tully and Arn and it was glorious. Mark Curtis managed them for a match or two and they had a really good match with PG13 that culminated Curtis beating the shit out of everyone with his cowboy boot. They could've extended their careers a little bit if they'd have wrestled like that later in their careers. Grumpy old men R&R would've been awesome. I'd have love to have seen them show up in 1995 or 96 ECW interrupting a Sandman or Gangsta's entrance and yelling turn off that headbanging rap shit and put on Boogie Woogie Dancehall.

Here's the R&R and Mark Curtis destroying Randy Hales and PG13

• Like 1

Even if R+R are heels, they shouldn't be palling around with Jim Cornette of all people. That's a feud that should transcend heel-face dynamics. 

• Like 2