DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Finally up to '86 Starrcade and the best thing that I can say about Jimmy Garvin is that he's such a good heel that I genuinely want to fight him. I hate that fucker. I hate Precious too for that matter. 

I hated him so much as a kid that when he turned face and feuded with Kevin Sullivan, six-year-old me rooted for Sullivan. 

Then when he turned heel and joined the Freebirds, my other objects of utter fucking hatred, they could have put the big gold on him in 1990 or whatever year that was and I would have watched every week hoping to see him lose. 

On 5/16/2016 at 0:11 PM, Go2Sleep said:

I was going through the KOTRs recently, and found a real hidden gem of Owen vs. 123 Kid in 94. It's definitely on the short list for my favorite sub-5-minute match. Kid works an injury angle as a big underdog, and Owen wrestles like the favorite to win the tournament. The pace is really good and there were a lot of good move sequences that seemed really out of place (in a good way) in mid 90s WWF. Opened with back to back dives by the heel, some sharp kicks from Kid, and my favorite spot of Owen catching a heel kick attempt and turning it into a deadlift high angle German. Super fun match that I totally wasn't expecting.

This is one of my favorite sub-five-minute matches as well. I'm a sucker for two good wrestlers rocking each other with bombs for a bunch of 2.9s over three or four minutes. That'll get over with me every time. I love the back suplex reversal and the nasty powerbomb that Owen drops Kid with. And that baseball slide because Owen comes out of no-fucking-where, out of the darkness, and Kid jerks back like he actually didn't expect it when he gets hit. 

Even Art Donovan couldn't ruin it on commentary!

• Like 1

Going through old WCW stuff, and watching Regal work and stretch - and then bump all over the ring and sell like crazy for - cruiserweights in the TV title scene is its own special reward in wrestling.  Also highlights the frustrating reality that he never got much further than the snobby Brit gimmick once jumping to the WWF/E, particularly when it came to getting into an extended program with anyone worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Even Art Donovan couldn't ruin it on commentary!

Thinking back to all the times he asks "How much does this guy weigh?!" is never not funny to me.  If I was inclined I'd do a drinking game for how many times he said that.  But I'd be afraid of getting alcohol poisoning so maybe that wouldn't be the wisest idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NickMD said:

Thinking back to all the times he asks "How much does this guy weigh?!" is never not funny to me.  If I was inclined I'd do a drinking game for how many times he said that.  But I'd be afraid of getting alcohol poisoning so maybe that wouldn't be the wisest idea.

If we played a drinking game with ouzo, centered around Maria's ass and "How much does dis guy weigh?", neither of us are making it out alive. 

On 5/15/2016 at 0:18 PM, cwoy2j said:

And it's super sad to watch Macho relegated to commentary during that match. He's super psyched up for the entire thing and putting over both guys before and after the match but you can tell he's just fucking itching to get back into the mix. Still can't understand why Vince thought he was done at that point.

Savage deserved another world title reign for having to put up with Art Donovan for a night. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
Yes, I realize Art Donovan was KOTR '94, and Bret/Perfect was KOTR '93.

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Savage deserved another world title reign for having to put up with Art Donovan for a night. 

The funny thing about Donovan asking about everyone's weight is that the ring announcer says everyone's weight before the match.

I am sad that the "How Much Does Dis Guy Weigh" love always overshadows my own favorite Art Donovan KOTR moment:

Diesel is walking to the ring for his match, accompanied by Shawn Michaels.

ART: Who's that coming to the ring with Diesel?

GORILLA: that's the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels.

ART: Oh...IS he a wrestler too?"

• Like 2

I almost felt bad for Art Donovan when Gorilla and Savage just gave up and ignored him. I mean, it wasn't Art Donovan's fault he wasn't a wrestling fan. I'd love to know who thought putting a guy with no wrestling knowledge on commentary was a good idea. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I almost felt bad for Art Donovan when Gorilla and Savage just gave up and ignored him. I mean, it wasn't Art Donovan's fault he wasn't a wrestling fan. I'd love to know who thought putting a guy with no wrestling knowledge on commentary was a good idea. 

Vince was supposed to be there but had just undergone neck surgery.  Maybe he made the call in a drug-induced haze?

I sometimes watch KOTR '94 JUST for the commentary.  It's never not funny.  That being said, I always stop watching before Piper/Lawler.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the Shane O/Foley podcast. Was hoping they were going to keep it going since Foley was just about to ask Shane about the current roster before they decided to end it, thought they were going to extend it a ways like the Vince/Austin one.

It wasn't as interesting to me as the Vince one. I thought Shane was very guarded overall. Him not receiving much recognition from his father for his work over the years was about the only interesting revelation, and even then it's not exactly a surprise to hear that.

The lack of intriguing conversation may have been down to Foley though. I think Austin would've been much more forceful in his questioning and would've perhaps lead to Shane opening up a bit more.

On 13/04/2016 at 5:16 AM, Vincey Greene said:

Watching the Sting doc they recently put up. Pretty interesting; the word on Sting has always been "Great human, solid worker, cares almost zero about wrestling beyond making money". 

Meanwhile, he has an entire barn full of merch and is very clearly STILL frustrated to this day with the booking at Starrcade '97. And also seems to be a legit good guy.

On 13/04/2016 at 0:48 PM, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

If he wasn't frustrated by the disaster of Starcade '97 he wouldn't be human.  That was the very exact point where WCW started the long, slow circling of the drain, compliment of (of course) Hulk Hogan.

On 13/04/2016 at 4:22 PM, Brysynner said:

Starrcade '97 when WCW had the easiest, most profitable angle ever and the easiest payoff to book. Sting beats Hogan all across the arena, Hulk gets like one offensive move in, Hulks up at some point and gets his ass kicked some more.

The level of incompetence in the booking of Starrcade '97 was amazing because to fuck it up as bad as they did, they had to be trying to see what the worst thing they could do was. It's right up there with the finish to Booker/Hunter at Mania 19 in how not to book a world title match where the entire booking up to the match has been the heel dominating the babyface in a way that makes you excited to see the babyface beat the hell out of the heel champion

On 13/04/2016 at 4:25 PM, Technico Support said:

I was at that show (Starrcade) and I remember leaving the arena and everybody just felt deflated.  Like you said, anything outside of Sting getting absolute revenge and decisively destroying Hogan would have been an failure and, because of power plays and political bullshit, that's what we got.  WCW everybody.

THIS. Fucking sucks to this day. Fuck Hulk Hogan.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2016 at 4:31 AM, Brian Fowler said:

If ever a ppv main event could have gotten away with being a four minute squash, it was Sting/Hogan.

On 14/04/2016 at 6:07 AM, clintthecrippler said:

Sting/Hogan literally should have just been the same exact formula as Hogan/Iron Shiek. Hogan sneak attacks Sting, Sting bounces back with immediate fury, Hogan gets low blow, does a back rake, does a nervehold for a minute, then Sting powers out, punch, punch, whip into the corner, stinger splash, Hogan stumbles out of the corner, Sting hits Scorpion Death Drop, Sting locks on the Scorpion Leglock, Hogan submits...time of the fall: five minutes, and forty seconds.

On 14/04/2016 at 3:59 PM, NickMD said:

The count was the punctuation mark on the fact that Hogan dominated Sting leading up to that.  Sting looked a chump before the pinfall, and the aftermath didn't help matters.

Ditto to these.

In the "totally forgotten great shows" department: Vengeance 2002

Other than the absurdly long HHH segment where he was choosing whether to go to Raw or SD, everything on this show is worth watching. The main event is really the only match that has any drag-age, and it still has more than enough good moments to make up for it. Everything else is really tight, and all the undercard matches have a tremendous pace and fill whatever time they have very well. You also get some very early Cena and Lesnar matches, who both look great considering their experience. Lesnar/RVD is quite good, actually. If you just watch one match, I highly recommend the Benoit/Eddie vs. Bubba/Spike tables match that opens the show. Even with the stupid tag formula in use for about half of it, it still manages to probably be the second best tables match in WWE history. Benoit and Eddie are relentless, and Spike and Bubba are both fighting for their lives throughout the match. You expect Spike to be the underdog, but Bubba was really up to task here too. It was super stiff throughout, and despite being one of the longer matches on the show, there wasn't any part of it that felt like filler.

• Like 1

Thoughts on SummerSlam 96

I was there at Gund Arena in Cleveland. It was the first pay-per-view at the Cleveland Cavaliers' arena, which is now Quicken Loans Arena.

Austin 3:16 was two months earlier, but here was Stone Cold in the Free-For-All match, beating Yokozuna.

Owen Hart beat Savio Vega in a very good opener. I had forgotten all about this match. Between this bout and the Austin feud, Savio Vega was a lot better than I had remembered.

The four-way tag match was a mess. Skip showed up wearing a neck brace, which was ridiculous for someone who was supposed be competing. After the Smoking Gunns won, we were treated to Sunny unveiling a giant photo of herself. Sunny showed up later with Faarooq, making the Gunns and everyone else in this match even more irrelevant.

Clarence Mason was great at trying to steal Jim Cornette's talent while Cornette was preoccupied with preparing Vader for the main event. This foreshadowed Mason becoming a manager.

Poor Marc Mero lost yet again on pay-per-view. He even debuted his "Wild Thing" shooting star press, but it wasn't enough to beat Goldust. Sable began to really outshine Mero at this point, as Goldust was obsessed with her (Marlena even approved), and Mankind took time off from preparing for the Boiler Room Brawl to visit Sable and call her his "mommy."

Lawler finally got a "real" win on pay-per-view by beating Jake Roberts. As a huge Browns fan, Lawler must have felt weird putting on a Ravens jersey, heeling on the Browns fans and praising Art Modell. Of course, this was during the three-year period where the Browns didn't exist, as we had to wait until 1999 to get a new team.

Vader should have won the WWF title from Shawn Michaels. The WWF had built Vader perfectly as a monster, and there would have been no shame in losing to him. Vader could have been a dominant champion for the rest of the year until Shawn won the title back at Royal Rumble. Then they could have done the same thing with Sid, although Shawn would have surely lost his smile by that time.

The Boiler Room brawl was a lot better to watch at home on the network with my daughter 20 years later than it was live. It was a great match, but we were watching it on the basketball scoreboard screens, which were not very big. Two of my best friends in wrestling, "Handsome" Frank Stalletto and "Beef Stew" Lou Marconi, served as druids.

Paul Bearer gets the MVP award. My dad and brother were with me, 11 years after Dad had taken us to our first show at the Richfield Coliseum with Hogan vs. Savage on top. Dad didn't care much about wrestling, but when Paul Bearer turned on Undertaker, Dad was fit to be tied. He was absolutely outraged that Bearer would stab the Undertaker in the back. Twenty years later, my daughter's reaction: "That was quite the plot twist!"

• Like 1

The newest Collection of John Cena contains two matches from his OVW days and one match against CW Anderson in UPW California.  I figure the OVW one was from one of his DVD but that has to be the first time anything from UPW (assuming it was a WWE developmental at the time) has seen the light of day.   

I know it is extremely niche product but would love to see as much developmental stuff on there.  Especially OVW from 2000-2005