DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I mean if you like hearing WWE stars saying shit and fuck then it is pretty funny.   And there was some stuff that cracked me up in the "what the fuck is wrong with me" kind of way (Vince getting off on disaster audio, basically everything with kid Taker).  The Flair was funny but they are definitely going to run that into the ground.    It does have that Family guy thing where they take a joke and just beat it over the head way too much.   Hope they do more with the secondary characters.  I mean the idea of kid Russev or kid Dean Ambrose is money 

Hey it is better than Swerved  ;)

I find it funny how the last two of these  Network shows (this and Edge & Christian show) has portrayed Triple H as a complete moron who got where he is by kissing Vince's ass.  

Camp WWE was definitely as bad as it looked. The show doesn't work at all unless every wrestler does their own voice. The Cena, HHH, Truth, and Austin were dreadful.

Could tell Vince was having the time of his life, though.

I thought Camp WWE was funny at some points. Mainly Vince. A bit weird they've got a show with open profanity on it. Hopefully like the E&C show, it'll get better as it goes along. High bar though, because their show is fucking great. 

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Camp WWE was definitely as bad as it looked. The show doesn't work at all unless every wrestler does their own voice. The Cena, HHH, Truth, and Austin were dreadful.

Could tell Vince was having the time of his life, though.

It makes sense in this Camp WWE universe where they're kid versions of themselves and only the adults are voiced by the actual person (Flair/Hunter). Hunter has said he will be voicing HHH's dad, Quad H. So I guess that if we see the Superstars do voice over work they will play their parents.

Thoughts on In Your House 8 (Beware of Dog)

During the Mero-Helmsley opener, Vince McMahon correctly predicted that the power might go out. Mero's win would have been considered his career highlight aside from the IC title win, since Mero was so quickly lapped by Austin.

Main event time already? I liked the Bulldog-HBK match despite the now-hackneyed double-pin finish. I also liked how Clarence Mason again tried to help his man win a match by serving a legal document on his opponent.

Yokozuna won his literal "dark match" over Vader, but Vader won the PPV bout at Beware of Dog 2. I still don't know why they didn't do this match at WrestleMania.

Goldust and the IC title didn't get a lot of shine from beating the Undertaker in a casket match, since it had the same finish as the casket match against Yokozuna, if you subtract nine bad guys. The Undertaker-Mankind feud is still rolling along well.

Showing footage of the dark match between Austin and Savio Vega made them both seem super-tough, showing that this was their second brutal strap match in three days. Austin gets the MVP award despite his defeat for shedding DiBiase as a manager and going off toward eventual superstardom.

They added a bunch of collections today - best of all a War Games one that includes a couple short Dusty interview segments on the making of and fantasy booking WarGames matches,

New Table for 3 was alright. The thing that hurts this show, is that it's so damn short. There's no reason something like this should be thirty minutes or less, just because they have to have time available for a year old episode of The List or Swerved. 

I remember 2004 being pretty good for Raw. HHH was finally healthy and took as much of a backseat as he ever did in the 2000s. Orton took a big step forward. Evolution was actually clicking as a stable with some solid 6-mans. You had an interesting mix of solid to good vets like Benoit, Jericho, Regal, and Shawn mixed with younger guys like Edge, Christian, and Shelton. Kane was at the apex of his career and was constantly in hilarious angles that were played completely straight. Trish also started her fun heel run during this stretch.

It started to go to shit when they botched Orton's face turn, but Mania to Summer Slam was pretty good I think. Probably the only time during the hard split where Raw was fun and SD was garbage.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 0:52 AM, Go2Sleep said:

It started to go to shit when they botched Orton's face turn, but Mania to Summer Slam was pretty good I think. Probably the only time during the hard split where Raw was fun and SD was garbage.

I loved the Eddie-JBL feud, but it's astounding just how trash Smackdown was in 2004 otherwise. There was an SD-only PPV that blew off the Eddie-JBL storyline with a bullrope match -- I want to say Great American Bash -- that rivals December To Dismember for all-time garbage WWE shows. Just abominable. 

I'm OK with the botched Orton turn on one point, and one point only: it eventually led to Batista getting that face push. The reactions he was getting then were insane, and I really liked his Wrestlemania and Hell In A Cell matches with HHH. I thought moving him over to SD was bullshit. 

• Like 1

Those 04 SD-only ppvs were dire. That GAB show you mentioned and Armageddon are both among the worst shows of the decade for WWE. JBL's reign looks better in retrospect, but it took forever to click. You just had him and Taker in a stalemate at the top. The midcard had Cena, Eddie, and Angle, but they were all being kept apart until Mania season which led them feuding with guys like Show, Dupree, and Luther Reigns. Just terrible tv all around.

I didn't mind Batista going to SD because he would've been overshadowed by Cena on Raw. The split let them appear to be mostly equal for a while.

• Like 1

From PWInsider.com:

The WWE Network is developing a new series titled "Behind the Curtain" that would take a documentary-style look at different stories from pro wrestling history.  Some of the topics that have been discussed for the series are the plane crash Ric Flair was in, Bruiser Brody's murder in Puerto Rico in 1987, and Gorgeous George's career.

Oh lord I can only imagine

Watching some old JCP. I feel like whenever people talk about greatest jobbers, they should include Alan Martin and Mike Jackson in that conversation. Those guys got in enough decent looking offense to make it seem like they were some sort of a threat but ultimately weren't on the level of the guys squashing them. Put the squashers over way better than them just outright murdering guys who looked like they shouldn't even be out there.

• Like 1

I arrived home last night having consumed far too many beers and fell asleep on the couch. Before drifting off I did watch Austin v Vader from Raw on December 16,1996. To my barely functioning brain this was a lovely little brutal TV match that had me cursing that the pair never went 20 minutes on PPV. I thought about rewatching it in the morning but decided against it in case I had misjudged it in my non compos mentis state.

My advice: drink 12 beers then watch this match. 

Thoughts on King of the Ring 96

Owen Hart wasn't the best on commentary, but at least he was a consistent heel. I would have loved hear him break out a "how much does this guy weigh?" as a homage to Art Donovan two years earlier when Owen became king.

Vader was kept strong with a DQ loss and a vicious attack on Jake Roberts. They are building him perfectly towards a match with HBK at SummerSlam. What could possibly go wrong with Vader's WWF push?

Too bad this was the end of Davey Boy's run as a WWF title challenger, but he did his job (literally) building up Shawn as champion. I didn't understand Mr. Perfect's involvement as special referee at all. I'm surprised Diana Hart wasn't more involved since the feud was originally about her.

Ultimate Warrior's match with Jerry Lawler was perfect. Lawler runs his mouth, piledriver fails, Warrior gets the win, and we're done in under 4 minutes.

Kudos to Goldust for dragging the extremely limited Our Man Johnson to a 15-minute match and putting him over as Intercontinental champ. Johnson's title reign was in the Paul Heyman-The Public Enemy category as far as masking someone's shortcomings.

Steve Austin is the obvious winner of the MVP award for his great match with Mero, his brutal destruction of Roberts, and his short but iconic Austin 3:16 promo. Not only that, but he went to the hospital between his two matches and got 16 stitches in his mouth. Austin also wisely didn't put on the crown and cape and talk about being a king. Still, he didn't get to the upper echelon of the WWF until his feud with Bret Hart. Austin had to fight Mero again at IYH 9, and he was actually in the pre-show match against Yokozuna at SummerSlam.

7 hours ago, Joecc said:

I arrived home last night having consumed far too many beers and fell asleep on the couch. Before drifting off I did watch Austin v Vader from Raw on December 16,1996. To my barely functioning brain this was a lovely little brutal TV match that had me cursing that the pair never went 20 minutes on PPV. I thought about rewatching it in the morning but decided against it in case I had misjudged it in my non compos mentis state.

My advice: drink 12 beers then watch this match. 

You can watch it sober. It's a cool little match.