DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 8/10/2019 at 8:21 PM, hammerva said:

The Untold story about the formation of Team Hell No was really great.   Those Dr Shelby segments were a lot funnier that I remembered in the beginning.  

I also loved that both Kane and Bryan hated the "I'm the tag team champion" because of how bad the grammar is 

I loved Kane and Bryan both saying they wanted to be "Team Friendship", and not "Team Hell No."  At the time, I was saying the same thing. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

the problem with this new system is that when WWE Network Updates tweets something new I can't tell if it is an old thing that was put back on or an actual new thing.   Like they are putting back up the Coliseum Videos from the looks of it and seems like a few of them are new but can't remember.

So it looks like the next Classic dump on the Network is more 1993 WCW Saturday Night

Edited by hammerva

I loved WCW in the early 90's  because of Clash Of The Champions. I wasn't watching wrestling regularly then. But weren't those shows were on Wednesday nights?  I'd watch those with my old man as he glanced over his paper and have a blast. His favorite was Norman The Lunatic.

• Like 1

So, the important thing is what possible hidden gems we might get based off of this since a lot of this stuff is easy to find anyway. 

I was hoping for the first KOTR (based on some footage we saw in the Harley tribute video), but if they're sitting on unreleased WCW 93 footage, I'd take that. 

I mean, they MIGHT have the Omni shows, right?

WCW @ Atlanta, GA - Omni - February 7, 1993 (matinee) (4,600)
Steve Regal pinned Tex Slazenger at the 8-minute mark with an armdrag slam
The Wrecking Crew defeated Joey Maggs & Marcus Alexander Bagwell at the 11-minute mark when Rage pinned Maggs
2 Cold Scorpio pinned Scotty Flamingo with a leap off the top
Chris Benoit pinned Tom Zenk with the dragon suplex at the 14-minute mark
Vinnie Vegas pinned Johnny Gunn at the 8-minute mark; prior to the bout, Van Hammer came out with Gunn and cut a promo on Vegas; Hammer was booed during his promo, to the point he ended it in mid sentence
Paul Orndorff pinned Cactus Jack at the 14-minute mark with a knee drop off the top to Jack's back
WCW World Champion Big Van Vader defeated Sting via disqualification at the 13-minute mark when Sting hit the champion with the timekeeper's bell after Harley Race rang the bell to distract Sting as Vader was caught in the Scorpion Deathlock
WCW US Champion Dustin Rhodes, WCW/NWA Tag Team Champions Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas defeated Barry Windham, Steve Austin & Brian Pillman in an elimination match at the 25-minute mark; Douglas was pinned; Pillman was pinned 4 seconds later; Windham and Rhodes were both counted out; Steamboat pinned Austin when the momentum of a crossbody by Austin put Steamboat on top; after the match, Austin & Pillman attacked Steamboat before others made the save

WCW @ Atlanta, GA – Omni – March 28, 1993 (5,200)
All kids got in for $1.01
2 Cold Scorpio defeated Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker
Erik Watts defeated Tex Slazenger
Maxx Payne defeated Johnny Gunn
Ron Simmons defeated Shanghai Pierce
NWA World Champion Barry Windham & WCW TV Champion Paul Orndorff defeated Cactus Jack & the Barbarian
WCW World Champion Big Van Vader defeated Sting via disqualification at around the 8-minute mark when Sting began assaulting the champion with a leather strap, thrown in the ring by Harley Race who was suspended above the ring in a cage
WCW/NWA Tag Team Champions Steve Austin & Brian Pillman fought Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas to a 45-minute time-limit draw

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

For me, the year of the Dangerous Alliance, from Paul E introducing Rick Rude at HH91 to Madusa knocking out Paul E at HH92 is one of my favourite years, ever. 

One of the guys from the ThRoH the Years podcast put out a survey on if he should do more podcasts and suggested doing all the TV and big shows from the Dangerous Alliance era WCW was on the list, and my main note was if he does do that one I want on it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I loved WCW in the early 90's  because of Clash Of The Champions. I wasn't watching wrestling regularly then. But weren't those shows were on Wednesday nights?  I'd watch those with my old man as he glanced over his paper and have a blast. His favorite was Norman The Lunatic.

There's a tremendous Barry Windham vs. 2 Cold Scorpio match that I watched over and over again as a kid.  But there's a lot of cool stuff,   Sting getting kicked out of the Horsemen by Ole and Flair,   Vader putting Flair out on a stretcher job, Luger sneak attacking Sting and then Sting having to return from the hospital to defend against Rick Rude the same night,   The Hollywood Blondes vs.  the Horsemen,   Steamboat returning and teaming with Dustin,  etc.  

As tempted as I am to see the WCW Saturday Night shows that they recently put on there I instead am starting from the beginning.  it's pretty wild seeing that while still filmed at Center Stage it was essentially a talk show that had matches from other arenas.  And they had rotating co-hosts to boot which can be either fine or darn near cringe-worth (Jason Hervey is an example)  I'll be curious to see when the format changes but I'm loving it so far.  it also helps that I really started to get into WCW in '93 so it's going to be nice to see those episodes again when I get to that point.

20 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As tempted as I am to see the WCW Saturday Night shows that they recently put on there I instead am starting from the beginning.  it's pretty wild seeing that while still filmed at Center Stage it was essentially a talk show that had matches from other arenas.  And they had rotating co-hosts to boot which can be either fine or darn near cringe-worth (Jason Hervey is an example)  I'll be curious to see when the format changes but I'm loving it so far.  it also helps that I really started to get into WCW in '93 so it's going to be nice to see those episodes again when I get to that point.

what's your starting point?

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

what's your starting point?

The premiere episode on 4/4/92.  So I'm pretty much set on going through all the episodes.  Now I will admit that I'm kind of cheating as I'm only cherry-picking the stuff I most want to see.  So while I don't need to see a boring squash match I may be more likely to check out Austin-Windham 2/3 falls match (that's assuming it's amazing as I haven't gotten to that part yet)  Now if we're talking when I started as a kid I just know it was sometime in early/mid '93.

I will say that I'm really loving the Steamboat vs. Rude feud and how much focus they're putting on it.  They're insinuating he's stalking Medusa and is having an affair.  Which leads to them interviewing Rude at Center Stage.  So as he's answering fan questions a woman says that she too is with Steamboat which turns into a couple of them arguing who really is having with him.  That's all well and good but what caught me off-guard was there was liberal use of the word "slut" being thrown around.  I'm assuming the show aired at 6:05 so it's interesting that that was okay with WCW/TBS given the timeslot.  It's wacky as hell but I love it.  And while there's certainly some over-the-top elements to the shows there's also a sense of realism that makes it very easy to get into.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

If done right this could be really fun to watch but I am little worried how they are going to portray him.  Also is the first the first guy that has been featured on a WWE show that never worked in the WWF/WWE.   I mean even people like Sting and Goldberg didn't get any treatment until they start showing up on WWE shows

Quick notes about tonight's Ride Along:

Two of Ray Rowe's pets are named Juvi and Indy (third is Boo) and I'm incredibly amused by that. 

I would absolutely love to hang out with Hansen, Rowe and Sarah as they seem like awesome people. 

And Becky and Seth seemed like much more of a couple despite the scripted format of the show. So that's nice and everything. 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic