DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

The Maple Leaf Wrestling shows that where syndicated in Canada are Superstars of Wrestling episodes only under a different name, featuring promos promoting Canadian dates and Maple Leaf Gardens matches exclusive to the show. Just put those on the Network just as a fuck you to the guy who owns the SOW name.

But the core problem of having to blur out the giant Superstars of Wrestling banner hanging from the rafters still exists in the master footage. 

If it was only about inserting a single graphic into the opening and muting "of Wrestling" on announcing it would be one thing. It's the scrubbing of the onscreen banners that's the big pain of it all.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:44 PM, olythegreat89 said:

I live in New Jersey and have been going to NJ/NYC ROH shows since 2005 so I was there for Nigel’s ROH Title win in Edison and his final match against Bryan. 

As was I. My favorite Nigel match, which I was also there for, was his Pure Title defense against Roderick Strong @ Death Before Dishonor IV. That match is kind of a forgotten gem because it was on the same card as the ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As was I. My favorite Nigel match, which I was also there for, was his Pure Title defense against Roderick Strong @ Death Before Dishonor IV. That match is kind of a forgotten gem because it was on the same card as the ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death.

I didn’t get my license until 2007, so I was very jealous of Philly getting COD although it made all the sense in the world to be there. My favorite Nigel match live was against American Dream at the 11th Anniversary show. My only show where I sat fron row.

My favorite personal Nigel moment was when I was able to be backstage at Final Battle 2011 (yes I saw Cornette flip out backstage in person and it was all it’s hyped up to be). Maria Kanellis was walking past me backstage and Nigel came right next to me and said, “Hate to see her go, but I love watching her leave.” He won me over with that one.

• Like 3

Echoing everything I've seen on the Nigel doc. Loved it but at points it was hard to watch. I'd forgotten how brutal those headbutts to the ring post were. I recently wanted to go back and watch his run in ROH but I don't know if I really want to now. I'm glad he has a job in WWE but watching him watch the matches, you can see it in his eyes that he wants to be in that ring, no matter what he is saying. The segment where he is talking about the night Dragon won the title is heartbreaking. Is that from the doc he made? I'll be watching that this week. 

Put on a random episode of WWF Superstars while getting ready for work. It was the episode right after Flair won the title back from Savage, the formation of the Mega Maniacs in the lead up to Survivor Series, and also had the debut match of The Komet Kid, who would later go on to become Max Moon. I do not remember him ever being Komet Kid, so that was an interesting find. Also loved how he used his rocket pack to "fly" up each step to the ring. :D

17 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Echoing everything I've seen on the Nigel doc. Loved it but at points it was hard to watch. I'd forgotten how brutal those headbutts to the ring post were. I recently wanted to go back and watch his run in ROH but I don't know if I really want to now. I'm glad he has a job in WWE but watching him watch the matches, you can see it in his eyes that he wants to be in that ring, no matter what he is saying. The segment where he is talking about the night Dragon won the title is heartbreaking. Is that from the doc he made? I'll be watching that this week. 

Yes it is. You really get a feel for how hard it was for him to retire in that doc. The WWE doc sheds a much brighter light on Nigel’s situation if that was even possible.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Put on a random episode of WWF Superstars while getting ready for work. It was the episode right after Flair won the title back from Savage, the formation of the Mega Maniacs in the lead up to Survivor Series, and also had the debut match of The Komet Kid, who would later go on to become Max Moon. I do not remember him ever being Komet Kid, so that was an interesting find. Also loved how he used his rocket pack to "fly" up each step to the ring. :D

I *think* the Komet Kid was actually still Konnan, at least that first taping.

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I *think* the Komet Kid was actually still Konnan, at least that first taping.

I don't remember when the name change happened, but according to Prichard the gimmick was designed for Konnan but he never actually made TV before Diamond took over. 

The most shocking thing so far watching these Superstars episodes is that the 3 most traumatic wrestling angles of my childhood - Berzerker trying to stab Undertaker, Papa Shango's curse on the Warrior and Nailz debut all happened within like a month of each other.  

• Like 5

I understand why the Superstars Of Wrestling isn't on the Network until 1992 and the switch to "Superstars". But why don't they show the full run of Wrestling Challenge? Back then Superstars and Challenge were 1a and 1b shows to me.

• Like 2

Man the new Chronicle on Paige is so damn sad.  Basically goes from her comeback to her retirement after the Royal Rumble.  The quick ending too was hard.   This was probably the best Chronicle they have done because there was no attempt at kayfabe unlike the other ones.  

• Like 1

I'm piling on to Seth Rollins tonight, but in the WrestleMania 34 doc he said something like "this is 34? I'd like to see the 33 other opening matches stack up to this" about the opener with Miz and Finn last year.

And, um, Bret Hart vs Owen Hart in what was arguably the best match in Mania history up to that point? (If also arguably surpassed about an hour later...) or Triple H vs Bryan?

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 4

So for people who was pissed about how the WWE handled the Brock Lesnar situation, this new WWE 24 really showed that.  Brock throwing the title at Vince like it is a piece of shit and Vince yelling 'HEY ASSHOLE' was something to see.  of course it would have been better if they explained why it led to this.  

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm piling on to Seth Rollins tonight, but in the WrestleMania 24 doc he said something like "this is 34? I'd like to see the 33 other opening matches stack up to this" about the opener with Miz and Finn last year.

And, um, Bret Hart vs Owen Hart in what was arguably the best match in Mania history up to that point? (If also arguably surpassed about an hour later...) or Triple H vs Bryan?

Rollins said that? Fucking hell. Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart is a classic, to me it's the second best match in WWF/E history. Always preferred that to Ramin/Michaels. 

As for opening WrestleMania matches, you're right to mention the brothers Hart and Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H. I'd also take the Ladder matches at XXV, XXXI and XXXII over Rollins vs. Miz vs. Balor.

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

So for people who was pissed about how the WWE handled the Brock Lesnar situation, this new WWE 24 really showed that.  Brock throwing the title at Vince like it is a piece of shit and Vince yelling 'HEY ASSHOLE' was something to see.  of course it would have been better if they explained why it led to this.  

It does basically prove the reporting from last year right that there was a verbal altercation between Brock and Vince with Brock being pissed at how the match was built up, how it played out, and what the crowd response was, not to mention the part of the report that Brock threw the title at either Vince or the wall. So I wonder who from there *COUGHHEYMANCOUGH* leaked the info to Dave, Keller, and others. Anyway, lots of people shit on that reporting at the time saying it was made up.