DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I live in New Jersey and have been going to NJ/NYC ROH shows since 2005 so I was there for Nigel’s ROH Title win in Edison and his final match against Bryan. Really glad WWE touched on his ROH days and even more specifically on the Pure Title which I think is a perfect concept for title that needs to be revived. Sad he never got to showcase his greatness in the ring in WWE abut glad they’re giving him this opportunity as an announcer. Who knows, maybe he’s secretly getting the surgery and planning a Shawn Michaels-like return that’ll be even better then his original run on the indies. 

• Like 3

C+P my review of Nigel McGuinness: Chasing the Dream from the January 2019 Wrestling Discussion thread...

One of the best wrestling documentaries I've seen along with Wrestling With Shadows, The Rise and Fall of ECW, Bret Hart's first ever WWE DVD, Chris Jericho's first WWE DVD and Daniel Bryan: Road to WrestleMania 30.

I was a tad surprised the headbutts from Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness at ROH Unified 2006 made it. It was something when Daniel Bryan on camera said he was dishonest in his 2009 WWE medicals. McGuinness was unfortunate with things: telling the truth in his medical tests for WWE, the Hepatitis B and getting cut by TNA.  More ROH and TNA footage than usual, they get a plug at the end. Shame it didn't workout for Nigel as a wrestler for WWE but glad he's now a part of the company as a commentator. That's a positive.

• Like 3

Watched the Nigel doc, really good. What a crazy journey and after all those roadblocks he finally made it to the WWE. Albeit not as a competitor he never got to compete and reach the heights he was destined to reach  but shit he's there as a commentator and a pretty good one at that. He made it to the big time, he did what he always wanted to do, he may not being doing it as a wrestler as he envisioned but he made it to the WWE. Tons of great footage from ROH, TNA and shit that news piece on his debut match and Nigel has all that footage from his documentary. We are starting the year off right with the Wrestling Documentaries. We have a Mean Gene Doc tonight too.  

• Like 3

Nigel's story shows how weird life sometimes can be. If you hear of a wrestler who has to retire young you think about concussions (which was everybody's assumption back then), neck injuries, back problems or destroyed knees. Nigel not getting signed due to an (apparently not even serious) shoulder injury and getting fired due to Hep B seems to be out-of-the norm. He is by far not the first wrestler catching Hep B (Jumbo, Abby and Bob Orton Jr. come to mind, Waltman has Hep C, I think), but still.

It's really interesting that they did a documentary for Nigel, who is not a (pushed) performer, not even a former WWE wrestler. There could be multiple reasons for this (e.g. Nigel is REALLY well liked, there are plans for an in-ring comeback or simply someone in charge thought that this was just a great story to tell).

Also as an aspiring indy wrestler you could draw the wrong conclusions from this documentary (always lie in your physical).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Nigel vs Pete Dunne on the UK show leading to Trent Seven who is in some respects a spiritual successor to Nigel avenges his loss at the next UK  Takeover show up seating Dunne to become UK Champion

well if you watch the documentary, Nigel believes that Zack Gibson is the next Nigel.  He is using Nigel's old finisher.  When they showing the Pete Dunne vs Gibson title match on this year's special, you can see lose his mind when he couldn't win.

The 1992 Superstars dump is interesting because it seems like it is the only period of Superstars they are allowed to show because of legal reasons.   Maybe they can show it in a Hidden Gems or a special show but with the usual massive blurs that they did on WWE 24/7 when showed Primetime

I nearly gave up trying to find the Nigel doc on the Network. The Roku app is beyond garbage unless something is on my watchlist. Otherwise you have to go through a really terrible menu system to get to where you want to go.

I really hope that part of this move to a new streaming platform or whatever the hell they're doing means getting a better Roku app or at least one that doesn't look like it was just thrown together in about 30 minutes.

Had the same experience trying to find the Nigel doc.  A simple "recently uploaded" tab or something like that would go miles.  My biggest pet peeve with the Roku app is when trying to watch events that are still live from the beginning, half the time it will work and half the time it will just pick up live.  Had the Asuka title win spoiled like that and was pretty annoyed. 

Although I will say, at least the Roku app syncs with watching on my PC for the continue watching feature, which is completely boned on the smart TV WWE app. 

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I nearly gave up trying to find the Nigel doc on the Network. The Roku app is beyond garbage unless something is on my watchlist. Otherwise you have to go through a really terrible menu system to get to where you want to go.

I really hope that part of this move to a new streaming platform or whatever the hell they're doing means getting a better Roku app or at least one that doesn't look like it was just thrown together in about 30 minutes.

For whatever reason, the Network has a much more user-friendly interface on the PS4 (and PS3), but it is absolute garbage everywhere else.  Not sure why theirs couldn't be used on other platforms.

They absolutely need a separate "New to the Network" feature for Hidden Gems.  Unless someone posts it ahead of time, I have no idea what new stuff has been uploaded or where it is.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:41 AM, hammerva said:

The 1992 Superstars dump is interesting because it seems like it is the only period of Superstars they are allowed to show because of legal reasons.   

What legal reasons?

On 1/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, hammerva said:

Also funny to see the Pure Title put over which was such a nothing title when you look at it.  

Gotta disagree there. It was a bit of a daft title when it was introduced and never really clicked, then Nigel won it and through his hard work and using the rules got it to a level where it really was up there with the ROH world title as the most important in the company. Hence the unification match

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

What legal reasons?

Someone registered the trademark for "Superstars of Wrestling" from under Vince, so they changed it to just "Superstars." Footage is still usable for the Network, they just have to blur any SoW logos - similar to how they used to have to treat the old WWF logos.

26 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Someone registered the trademark for "Superstars of Wrestling" from under Vince, so they changed it to just "Superstars." Footage is still usable for the Network, they just have to blur any SoW logos - similar to how they used to have to treat the old WWF logos.

This is why no one can have a first name AND a last name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I still don't understand why the WWE doesn't just buy the trademark instead of having to sit on or blur the footage.

It would appear that the owner, Wisconsin Indy promoter Albert Patterson, is sitting on it. Wiki says there has been "litigation" but nothing was agreed upon, making it seem like he's just hoping for a big payday. 

The Maple Leaf Wrestling shows that where syndicated in Canada are Superstars of Wrestling episodes only under a different name, featuring promos promoting Canadian dates and Maple Leaf Gardens matches exclusive to the show. Just put those on the Network just as a fuck you to the guy who owns the SOW name.

• Like 3