DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watched the Scott Hall photographs episode last night, and I quite enjoyed it. He seems more together than I have seen him in years. He also seems quite grateful for the career he had. I appreciated his story about Larry Z helping him in the early days and how he tried to pay it back years later when he was on top at WCW. 

Just reiterating that WWE's Xmas present to us is an almost entirely new AWA/JCP supershow from 85 with only the second Tully vs Magnum match we've EVER had in full plus a bunch of other fun looking matches like Colon vs Barbarian, Jake vs Ellering, JJ vs Bass, RnR vs Irwins, and Dusty vs Flair.

Crazy stuff. 

• Like 2

Some fun history with the AWA Christmas Night 1983 upload. Mean Gene announces to the crowd that Hulk Hogan is not there because he is "still in Japan". Crowd responds very negatively, and chants "We Want Hulk" during the 8-man tag that he was scheduled to be a part of. 

Two days later, both Gene and Hulk would be at WWF's first St. Louis TV taping. 

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Just reiterating that WWE's Xmas present to us is an almost entirely new AWA/JCP supershow from 85 with only the second Tully vs Magnum match we've EVER had in full plus a bunch of other fun looking matches like Colon vs Barbarian, Jake vs Ellering, JJ vs Bass, RnR vs Irwins, and Dusty vs Flair.

Crazy stuff. 

It's also the show where Hansen beat Martel for the AWA title. It was the first world title change I ever saw in person.

If you've never seen the Rockers/Rose/Somers steel cage rematch on the 12/86 hidden gems, I think it is better than their infamous initial bloodbath that both teams are famous for.  The Rockers beat the everloving shit out of Rose and Somers that manger Sherri earns her HOF on this alone.  And then Shawn bleeds so much and for so long that Buddy's cut heals.

PW USA show was a fun way to wind down Christmas Day. Sherri Martel vs Debbie Combs was loaded with crazy bumps, The Barbarian gets over big - and deservedly so - in Jersey, Buddy Roberts takes a great beating from the Road Warriors, Magnum and Tully have a fun double juice battle, Flair vs Dusty is the usual great chemistry marred by a Dusty finish and Rock n Roll Express vs Long Riders made me bummed they didn't have more matches against each other as that is damn fun too.

But holy shit, Martel vs Hansen is fucking dull outside of a few minutes prior to the fairly abrupt ending and it's a shame THAT was a title change match. Much like the Rollins/Ambrose match from TLC, the crowd that hadnt already left was groaning at kickouts wanting the match to end. At least they were rewarded with a title change I guess.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Captain Kronos said:

Watched the Scott Hall photographs episode last night, and I quite enjoyed it. He seems more together than I have seen him in years. He also seems quite grateful for the career he had. I appreciated his story about Larry Z helping him in the early days and how he tried to pay it back years later when he was on top at WCW. 

Scott is always one of the biggest "What could have been" stories I think I have ever seen in wrestling. When this guy is clear headed and can suppress his asshole tendencies, he comes off so smart and so knowledgeable about the way things should be and the best ways for dudes to get over. As much as he has talked about wanting to do it, I would love to see him working alongside Shawn in NXT. Maybe he could be the guy to fill the Dusty void and help people channel their characters and make better promos

• Like 3

I have always preferred Nash to Hall. But I saw there’s a big Razor collection that contains lots of matches I’ve never seen. So I’m giving the Bad Guy a chance. 

The opening vignettes are ridiculous - and awesome AF. Same for the decision to have current Scott Hall kayfabe the segments between clips. It’s so silly that he’s doing this stuff in character, and I can’t help but love it. 

Now comes his first proper match in the collection, vs Bret at Rumble ‘93.

Anybody catch the non-wrestling shows they recently put on the network?  They had a cooking competition between Curtis, Dana and Alicia.  It's a lot like Chopped minus the cooking talent.  Botch Club was humorous as it was basically Gallows and Anderson being themselves shitting on botches.  But I am curious about what @Michael Sweetser thinks about this.  Then there's Fashion Files which had them try and uncover who hit Kevin Owens with a pie.  But I would say my favorite is Xavier's Arcade showdown which had him at Barcade in Philly (still need to go there one day)  It's pretty cool seeing him talk about the games and competing in some of them.  If you love UUDD then you'll like this.

Was watching an early MidAtlantic show the other night. Abby runs in and starts forking TF on Wahoo’s head. Every time the camera angle would have shown blood, the footage changed to some kind of scribbled animation. It was seriously annoying. 

Is that what WWE is doing now? We have to trade between barely watchable ancient and tape rips from a 30 yr old trading community or else this propagandized Disney version? 

Ugh. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Was watching an early MidAtlantic show the other night. Abby runs in and starts forking TF on Wahoo’s head. Every time the camera angle would have shown blood, the footage changed to some kind of scribbled animation. It was seriously annoying.  

Is that what WWE is doing now? We have to trade between barely watchable ancient and tape rips from a 30 yr old trading community or else this propagandized Disney version? 

Ugh. 

Nope, that's what they'd do. They'd use the same animation on some commercial breaks as well. I don't know when they started, but it doesn't last long in the run of Mid-Atlantic they have on the network. It's very Hilarious House of Frightenstein, so I kind of dig it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's a genuine argument for Hogan vs Akeem on SNME being Hogan's best ever match.

The crowd are really into it, the heat segment on Hogan generates genuine sympathy and concern, Hogan mixes up his formula a bit to accommodate mocking Akeem some, the crowd really enjoys the comeback, and loses their shit for the Bossman cut-off. Everyone comes off great here and play their role really well.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

There's a Blue Blazer interview on an episode of SNME where he talks about jumping onto Ted Dibiase from the rafters if he has to. Probably better off removing that one...

Jesus fuck, does no one watch this stuff before they air it?

Watching the Nigel McGuiness documentary.  Wow surprised they actually showed the match against Daniel Bryan in Ring of Honor Liverpool where he shoot headbutted the ring post.  I mean it was a great match and very important to Nigel's career but that style of match and the blood is not something they particularly care for

Also funny to see the Pure Title put over which was such a nothing title when you look at it.  

Wow Bryan admitted that he lied about his physical when he got  into the WWE.  Probably not the first guy and won't be the last. 

• Like 3