DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Samoa Joe Chronicle was mostly a work but it was pretty good given Joe great personality.   Loved the story that Triple H told Joe that he didn't see a massive future with him overall and Joe just looked at Joey Mercury and winked at him like he knew.  Also makes it cooler that he has the nasty blood shot eye from I guess a ladder show at Money in the Bank

On 8/12/2018 at 7:52 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Would have been a little more interesting then Piper/Snuka with Lou Thesz as the referee. Speaking of which, having Lou Thesz ref a match in Minneapolis, that had to be a little dig from Vince to Verne...right? 

That match was in St. Louis, so no.

Reby Hardy, Kim Orton, and Giovanna Angle filmed an episode of the WWE Network’s Table for Three series this weekend, with the theme being that the episode features the wives of WWE wrestlers.

The Ric/Charlotte Photo Shoot is in part promotion for the collectors' edition of WWE2K19, but there's enough unique material and interesting stories to make it work. Highlights include unreleased behind-the-scenes footage from that old NXT bikini shoot with Charlotte/Sasha/Bayley, some audio and footage from last year's Starcade, and Ric telling a story about messing up the corner flip at Wrestlemania X8.

41 minutes ago, RIShane said:

The Ric/Charlotte Photo Shoot is in part promotion for the collectors' edition of WWE2K19, but there's enough unique material and interesting stories to make it work. Highlights include unreleased behind-the-scenes footage from that old NXT bikini shoot with Charlotte/Sasha/Bayley, some audio and footage from last year's Starcade, and Ric telling a story about messing up the corner flip at Wrestlemania X8.

Seeing Ric cry in that episode was pretty difficult.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 11:34 AM, hammerva said:

Watching the Hulkamania 1985 (probably 1986) Coliseum Video and man I would love to see what Muraco did to get so much heat on Hogan for that cage match.  I swear it looks like someone threw a whole pineapple or massive sized fruit into the ring.  Even Hogan was getting pelted at times.  

Also loved how the belt was just used as a weapon early with no regard what so ever.  Like they were going to replace it anyway.  

That Muraco series was the best thing about Hogan's early years with the title. Way more violent and bloody than most of his feuds at the time. Muraco was motivated and made a fantastic opponent for Hogan to the point where you could totally see why they considered him for a title run.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reby Hardy, Kim Orton, and Giovanna Angle filmed an episode of the WWE Network’s Table for Three series this weekend, with the theme being that the episode features the wives of WWE wrestlers.

Somewhere Karen Jarrett is on her 10th Jack and Coke really pissed off at this news

Hopefully someone tells Kim to tell her husband to stop playing with his dick before shaking hands.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

That Muraco series was the best thing about Hogan's early years with the title. Way more violent and bloody than most of his feuds at the time. Muraco was motivated and made a fantastic opponent for Hogan to the point where you could totally see why they considered him for a title run.

Any noteworthy matches worth seeking?

Watching the Piper Greatest Hits show and was curious about the timeline in Piper WWF career at the time of the Andre the Giant Pipers Pit and then the Piper & Schultz vs Andre & Snuka match.  I know the Snuka thing was months later but was Piper already a huge heat magnet in MSG before this?   I mean nothing would put you over more than knocking Andre out with brass knucks, busting him open huge, and leaving him laying to the point you had to leave the ring and get medical assistance.    He wasn't even doing that with Studd until Bundy started teaming with him

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

Watching the Piper Greatest Hits show and was curious about the timeline in Piper WWF career at the time of the Andre the Giant Pipers Pit and then the Piper & Schultz vs Andre & Snuka match.  I know the Snuka thing was months later but was Piper already a huge heat magnet in MSG before this?

Piper was an instant heat magnet at MSG on his debut as Orndorff’s manager on the 1/23/84 show.

Speaking of heat magnets, I watched some of the Nikolai Volkoff collection this morning. He may not have been a great or even particularly good wrestler, but he was REALLY fucking great at pro wrestling if that makes any sense. The dude clearly loved his job, and it showed.

• Like 1

WWEN just dropped World Class's 1981 Star Wars, which is worth the watch for no other reason than to see that Harley Race was doing the missed diving head butt table spot (re: vs. Hogan in 88) as early as 1981. Insane. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

WWEN just dropped World Class's 1981 Star Wars, which is worth the watch for no other reason than to see that Harley Race was doing the missed diving head butt table spot (re: vs. Hogan in 88) as early as 1981. Insane. 

The Harley match we had before, but the rest of the card seems new to us. 

34 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

That and Bruno doing a table bump in frigging 1970 in the match that got posted in the Volkoff collection. 

Thoughts on SummerSlam 99

The show started with a double title match and a double Vince Russo swerve! Not only did Mark Henry clobber his buddy D-Lo Brown with a guitar to give the IC and European titles to Jeff Jarrett, but the tension between Jarrett and Debra was fake! Russo loved to make heel groups argue throughout the show, only to reunite at the end.

Edge & Christian were the stars of the Tag Team Turmoil match, even though The Acolytes won. E&C earned the crowd’s respect and the MVP award by defeating The “New Brood” Hardy Boyz, Mideon & Viscera, and Prince Albert & Droz.

Chris Jericho and Road Dogg should have had a match instead of a verbal sparring session. Road Dogg tried to do live commentary while following Al Snow and Big Bossman around during their hardcore title match, and that didn’t work, either.

Something strange was going on in that match with Snow’s dog, Pepper. Snow talked to the dog in his carrier right before going to the ring for the match. Later, Bossman used the dog carrier as a weapon and said “How do you like that, boy?” to Pepper, who we didn’t see on camera. After the match, the announcers said Pepper was fine and wasn’t even in the carrier during the match. Sounds like a lot of angry dog lovers blew up the phone lines after Bossman’s attack.

Ivory beat Tori to retain the women’s title after a horribly botched sunset flip. Before you could say, “Well, at least they were trying to wrestle instead of just offering T&A, “ Ivory tried to rip off Tori’s top.

Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman had another cool gimmick match with their Lion’s Den Weapons match, a rare combination of specialty matches. Blackman really came off as a master of weapons, but Shamrock ironically knocked him out with a kendo stick.

Undertaker and Big Show won the tag team titles with another Russo trope: partners who don’t get along. Big Show didn’t pin X-Pac because he made an arrogant cover. Undertaker angrily tagged in and put X-Pac away with the tombstone piledriver. The new champs weren’t even the only feuding partners on this show, as Crash and Hardcore Holly beat each other up during the tag team turmoil match.

Everyone bags on Billy Gunn for his failed singles push, but he had a very good match against The Rock. The problem was, he was portrayed so much as a tag team wrestler throughout his career – even while winning the King of the Ring tournament – that nobody gave him a chance of beating The Rock.

Mankind won the WWF title in the main event, but he was overshadowed by the feud between Steve Austin and Triple H. Jim Ross said we would get an interview with the new champ, but the show went off the air while Stone Cold was brawling with HHH.

Still watching Thunder cuz I like the show. The July 16th 98 show was a special 3 hour show. I won't get into the whole show but Marty Jannetty shows up after months of inactivity, Arn Anderson cuts an insane promo on what being a Horsemen really means and in the most surprising turn of events the main event between Curt Hennig and Scott Hall vs DDP and Konnan of all people had a really fun main event that got a really good amount of time going about 15 minutes which was almost unheard of in 98 especially in 98 WCW. Two things that strike me about this match is 1 is Hall (who I don't know if he was shoot drunk or Dean Martin  drunk) and Konnan both of whom have the reputation of phoney it in really busted their asses in this one. It goes without saying that Curt and Dallas wen full bore as they tend to do and 2 although their was some outside interference from Virgil and Rick Rude the finish for all intents and purposes was as clean as you are gonna get on a Thunder in 98. I've watch 7 months of Thunder at this point and There's only like I don't know 5 main events that end in clean finishes and that's being generous it's maybe closer to 3. 2 Goldberg squashes and this one. The crowd was super hot and all four men busted their asses to put on a really good match.