DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 5/19/2018 at 9:12 AM, PetrolCB said:

Certain dialects are hard to understand, @The Green Meanie to those who aren’t around them regularly. American English is a bit easy, though British English(?) may not be as easy to those not privy to it on a regular basis. I can thank a litany of my good friends that I’ve met on PS4, to condition me to all sorts of regional types.

Welsh, Scot, Irish, Scouse, elsewhere in England. I can understand a lot of it. However, I’m in constant talk with them all so it’s a bit easy to get your ears tuned up and whatnot.

I definitely get that, in my case it was more of a rhetorical question really. Thanks to being in law enforcement I can understand a pretty wide variety of dialects whether they be regional, international, or drunk.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We are getting weekly Hidden Gems. This week: a 1977 David Von Erich vs Harley match, an 83 Piper vs Valentine house show match, and the 92 Vader WCW title win over Simmons, among other stuff.

I didn't think that was in full.  I wonder how many of those Frye/Watts era House Show title changes exist in full.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I didn't think that was in full.  I wonder how many of those Frye/Watts era House Show title changes exist in full.

We've only had 90 seconds so far. I'm going to assume it's in full until we see otherwise. 

So, decided to watch WCW Spring Stampede 1999 on the Network. I'm only about 10 minutes in to the show (opening match a pretty awesome so far one between Juventud Guerrera and Blitzkreig) and already Tony Schivonne has made a crack about not even knowing Thunder aired "this past Thursday" after Mike Tenay was taking about the show, and then also mentioned about how fans are still filing in to the arena because their tickets have been comped. Way to put over your product, Tony.

Harley vs David Von Erich is a great "World Champ makes the local rookie look good" match as well. 

Rob Van Dam vs Chris Jericho never before seen from the ECW vault is fun too. Not so much for the match itself, more so that it's fun watching a bloodthirsty New York ECW crowd respond mostly with apathy and very much not being in the mood for two long haired pretty boys doing gymnastics.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2018 at 3:28 PM, MonteCarl said:

So, decided to watch WCW Spring Stampede 1999 on the Network. I'm only about 10 minutes in to the show (opening match a pretty awesome so far one between Juventud Guerrera and Blitzkreig) and already Tony Schivonne has made a crack about not even knowing Thunder aired "this past Thursday" after Mike Tenay was taking about the show, and then also mentioned about how fans are still filing in to the arena because their tickets have been comped. Way to put over your product, Tony.

Tony was well into "don't give a fuck" mode at that point.

Is there an easy way of seeing all the shows/segments under a certain category at once? The Hidden Gems section as I see it on my laptop has the most recent, but there doesn't seem a way to view all the shows/segments at once.

I am absolutely fascinated by the Legends Battle Royal upload.  And not for the match which is pretty eh.  It's the half hour of unedited interviews they had with the participants that is clearly not something the WWF did, but got the rights too anyway. 

I turned the corner on Gene Kiniski.  All I knew him for was being the guy who ruined the Starrcade 83 main event.  But he was this polite, no-nonsense guy who also looked like he was ready to beat the shit out of you if you gave him a legit reason to.

I watched a Thunder that featured Juventud Guerrera vs El Dandy, Curt Henning vs Jim Neidhart and Scott Norton vs The Renegade.

that was on one show.

im watching an episode now that featured Kendal Windham vs Jim Duggan and Scott Steiner, super early in his Big Poppa Pump phase that he’s being referred to as White Lightning vs Johnny Grunge in a match that almost went 10 minutes I shit you not.

heres the match:

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 2:24 AM, sydneybrown said:

I am absolutely fascinated by the Legends Battle Royal upload.  And not for the match which is pretty eh.  It's the half hour of unedited interviews they had with the participants that is clearly not something the WWF did, but got the rights too anyway. 

I turned the corner on Gene Kiniski.  All I knew him for was being the guy who ruined the Starrcade 83 main event.  But he was this polite, no-nonsense guy who also looked like he was ready to beat the shit out of you if you gave him a legit reason to.

Is this the match from Meadowlands that Savage was upset about Angelo not being included? 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is this the match from Meadowlands that Savage was upset about Angelo not being included? 

It is indeed. Speaking of Hidden Gems, looking forward to today's uploads. The only match confirmed so far to my knowledge is a 1984 Ric Flair-Jack Brisco match from Georgia Championship Wrestling.

That'll be well and good when we get some unearthed main event from 1984 or 1977 or what not. It'll be far less good when we get a Velocity or FCW/OVW TV match or whatever. Even then, I'm a little disappointed if only based on the expectations from last week that WWE themselves set.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:50 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Nothing tops WCW for weird ass singles matches on forgotten shows.

For the most part, I think WCW went with the Battlebowl booking of just drawing names at random and throwing them in a match.

As a lapsed subscriber, I've just got three months of the network for 99p! First port of call was the Hidden Gems section, holy shit how great is the crowd for the Harley Race v Bob Backlund match?! Backlund is a total horse too, I forgot how powerful and in great condition he was in on his first run

Decided to pop on an old episode of RAW while toiling away at work and thought going back exactly 15 years would be interesting, so I watched the June 9, 2003 episode. It was the go-home show for Bad Blood and the story of the show was the upcoming Hell in the Cell match with Kevin Nash and HHH and Steve Austin picking Mick Foley as the special ref. Other matches being set up on the RAW for Bad Blood 2003 were Goldberg v Chris Jericho, Christian v Booker T for the IC Title, Test v Scott Steiner, Ivory v Jazz for the Women's Title, La Resistance v RVD/Kane for the Tag Titles, Shawn Michaels v Ric Flair, and Rodney Mack/Chris Nowinski v The Dudleys. Not exactly a blow away episode, but it was interesting to watch from a historical perspective.