DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

BTW - apparently a place holder has popped up on the Network for Sunday Night Heat so folks are speculating that old episodes will be going up soon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

This right here. I can't wait for the day they put in the roundtable version of Prime Time Wrestling.

I actually want them to bring back the earliest Prime Time Wrestling shows with Jack Reynolds/Jesse Ventura hosting. I adored that arena-show format with the long matches from MSG, Boston, Philly etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Vince probably wipes his ass with much less than what that guy wants. I dunno what the hold up is. 

Considering the state of entrance themes on the Network, including ones made in-house, they will clearly go to any length to avoid paying royalties.  I'm surprised they aren't still editing out Jesse.

I'll keep mentioning it, but 1992 WCW Saturday Night is so good.  They did a masterful job building up kicking Zbyszko out of the Dangerous Alliance.  The 2/3 falls match with Anderson/Zbyszko/Eaton v. Steamboat/Rhodes/Koloff gets a lot of time and is great, with a great miscommunication at the end setting up the finish.  Paul E gets pissed off and wants to fight Zbyszko, Larry gets back in his face and Anderson IMMEDIATELY steps in to back him off of the boss.

And we haven't even gotten to A&E breaking his fucking arm yet.

• Like 3

There's a Raven vs Marty Jannetty match from the 5th episode of Thunder that is a ton of fun actually they brawl around the entrance,  Jannetty fends off inference from The Flock. And it was pretty good in ring to boot. Jannetty in WCW was random but also really cool, he wrestled Dean Malenko on the 3rd episode of Thunder.

Also on the 5th episode of Thunder there is a Lucha Trios featuring Silver King, Vilano IV & Vilano V vs Super Chalo, Lizmark Jr & Chavo Guerrero Jr that is tight as fuck. If your a fan of random WCW Lucha you will like it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Web Conn said:

There's a Raven vs Marty Jannetty match from the 5th episode of Thunder that is a ton of fun actually they brawl around the entrance,  Jannetty fends off inference from The Flock. And it was pretty good in ring to boot. Jannetty in WCW was random but also really cool, he wrestled Dean Malenko on the 3rd episode of Thunder.

Also on the 5th episode of Thunder there is a Lucha Trios featuring Silver King, Vilano IV & Vilano V vs Super Chalo, Lizmark Jr & Chavo Guerrero Jr that is tight as fuck. If your a fan of random WCW Lucha you will like it. 

Speaking of random matches, there's a random Dean Malenko vs. Jimmy Del Ray (who was wrestling as Jimmy Graffiti) from a late 96 Nitro. Can't recall the exact episode but I remember it being a decent match.  I didn't know it was Jimmy Del Ray at the time so I was like, "why are they letting this guy hang with Malenko?" then I looked up Jimmy Graffiti and found out it was Jimmy Del Ray.

• Like 2

Thunder is such a weird show.

Watching the 2/19/98 Thunder. On the Nitro prior Brain "Crush" Adams debuts in WCW wearing a trench coat. He tells Bret Hart he has his back. The nWo come out Adams takes off the coat revealing an nWO shirt they all beat up Bret.

So on Thunder Adams Rick Rude and Curt Hennig are all cutting a promo on Bret. But Bret doesn't come out. Neidhart and Bulldog come out. A slugfest happens the nWold (get it?) beat down Brets Brother-in-Law's and Bret never comes out.

Welcome to WCW where old WWF guys beat each other up in street clothes.

38 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Anyone watch the Bruno special? The vintage footage was amazing, as was the away from the ring footage, not a bad doc.

Was planning on it but fell asleep.  But definitely want to catch that tonight as it looked pretty good.

It was good for a 45 minute introspective on a life story that could easily take up more than 2 hours. The early stuff was very interesting to see, and I don't think I've ever seen footage of Vince Sr speaking before, so that was pretty cool. The handheld footage from in the crowd the night Bruno lost to Koloff was cool, too. I'm sure the footage has been around for a long time, but I had never seen it.

Overall, yeah, not a bad way to spend 45 minutes.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, Web Conn said:

Thunder is such a weird show.

Watching the 2/19/98 Thunder. On the Nitro prior Brain "Crush" Adams debuts in WCW wearing a trench coat. He tells Bret Hart he has his back. The nWo come out Adams takes off the coat revealing an nWO shirt they all beat up Bret.

So on Thunder Adams Rick Rude and Curt Hennig are all cutting a promo on Bret. But Bret doesn't come out. Neidhart and Bulldog come out. A slugfest happens the nWold (get it?) beat down Brets Brother-in-Law's and Bret never comes out.

Welcome to WCW where old WWF guys beat each other up in street clothes.

What's even dumber is that they booked that to happen knowing full well that, IIRC, for legal reasons, they could never hint at Neidhart and Bulldog being aligned with Bret. I don't know if it was part of the legal battles or if it was just Bischoff being overly cautious but I've heard that they never had Bret interact with Jim or Davy due to potential legal ramifications. Why even bother having Bulldog and Jim get beat down in that situation when you know you can't have Bret come out to help? Just makes him look like a doofus.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, cwoy2j said:

What's even dumber is that they booked that to happen knowing full well that, IIRC, for legal reasons, they could never hint at Neidhart and Bulldog being aligned with Bret. I don't know if it was part of the legal battles or if it was just Bischoff being overly cautious but I've heard that they never had Bret interact with Jim or Davy due to potential legal ramifications. Why even bother having Bulldog and Jim get beat down in that situation when you know you can't have Bret come out to help? Just makes him look like a doofus.

whoa, i never heard that but it explains quite a bit in hindsight. 

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

whoa, i never heard that but it explains quite a bit in hindsight. 

Yeah I can't remember if it was part of an actual lawsuit but I do remember hearing Bischoff and Bret saying that the reason that Bret, Neidhart and Bulldog were hardly ever on screen together is that they were afraid of the legal ramifications. 

Watching Ride Along and I'm 100% certain that on Earth 10 Braun and Alexa not only are a couple but have a reality show that America falls in love with.  They are just wonderful together even if they are just goofy friends.

And you also get Titus calling Batista and they talk about movie possibilities.  The Titus Worldwide portion was incredibly fun.

I just watched the 4/2/83 Mid-Atlantic episode that had Piper handing out Easter Seals charity t-shirts to kids and he cut this amazing, coked up rambling promo about helping out kids "who are for no reason are all messed up and they're all crippled up because they ain't got no bucks and we gotta help 'em out because they're all crippled up and these kids are the real super heroes and they need a real hero because they're all crippled up and I'm gonna show em a hero right now and get in the ring." Then he got in the ring and beat up some jobber in 30 seconds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Same episode had Great Kabuki vs. Bill White in a Dragon Shai match. Interesting concept. Gary Hart had laid out a challenge that anyone who could hit Kabuki anywhere on his body (except for his hands) with a kendo stick would win $100. Kabuki had wrist/hand guards on and could block. Kabuki did a cool thing where he'd blow green mist on his wrist/hand guards before the match. Of course, Kabuki wins it and as Hart was cutting a promo, Jimmy Valiant came out to accept the challenge. I'm assuming that led to them taking that match around the house show loop.

Oh and Boogie Woogie Man kept calling the money "One hundred canaries." "You mean to tell me, brotha, that if I hit Kabuki with that stick, you gonna give me one hundred canaries daddy?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1