DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm glad you linked that, I forgot that was a show.  Really fun 20 minutes.  Crazy to think Cornette's biggest moment ever probably was fighting in the WMX7 Battle Royale.  

I loved how they asked for his thoughts on Vince Russo and the response was "Yeah....no..."

• Like 2

Other All Star thoughts:

* Young Boy Larry Zbyszko is real bad on the mic. He would obviously turn into a pretty decent promo guy, but at this point he talks like Robert De Niro trying to pick up Cybill Shepherd in Taxi Driver.

* Even with just sporadic episodes over 4 years, it's easy to see just how strongly they stuck to a pattern with the tag team titles for several years.

Randomly paired babyfaces hold the belts > Albano introduces monsters (Executioners/Yukon Lumberjacks/Whomever) > Monsters hold belts for a couple months > Lose to different randomly paired babyface team > Monsters disappear > Repeat

Blassie sneaks a win in there with Fuji/Tanaka, but otherwise that's the pattern until the 80s when the Samoans and Fuji/Saito get a few reigns each.

* Do I have to turn in my wrestling fandom card if I admit that I find Blassie and Albano to be kind of terrible? Maybe I'm spoiled comparing them to Heenan/Cornette/Dangerously, but all their promos are just random asides about nothing. Anyone who insults the Grand Wizard gets a punch in the face though. Such a great character.

* Though there is one funny Blassie promo that has him and Fuji admitting that they've been giving Tanaka ginseng with "something extra" to make him strong, but that Tanaka thinks its just regular ginseng. The implication being that Tanaka doesn't understand English and has no idea what they're talking about. That would be great if Tanaka didn't start speaking perfect English later in the same damn promo.

* Stan Stasiak is the coolest, most intimidating wrestler whose body looks like a melting candle. Watching the progression of his handlebar moustache has been an absolute joy.

* The crowd is pretty great. Any wrestler who wears jumpsuits to the ring (Ken Patera, Larry Sharpe) get catcalled when they try to peel them off.

* Butcher Vachon is too nice looking to be nicknamed Butcher. He looks like a jovial uncle.

* SD Jones and Jose Estrada are the JTGs of their day. I'm also watching 89 WWF and those fuckers are still around.

* And just to finish with The Golden Tara, the dude's finisher is a stomach claw....from the second rope. You're digging into some tummies, let's not make it convoluted.

• Haha 5

On 3/13/2018 at 2:35 AM, elizium said:

Other All Star thoughts:

* Do I have to turn in my wrestling fandom card if I admit that I find Blassie and Albano to be kind of terrible? Maybe I'm spoiled comparing them to Heenan/Cornette/Dangerously, but all their promos are just random asides about nothing. Anyone who insults the Grand Wizard gets a punch in the face though. Such a great character.

I've been pretty unimpressed with Blassie too.  There's an episode where Bruno is interviewing him and Blassie is just rambling on and on, and then he starts calling Bruno "McMahon."  And Bruno just stops the interview dead and ridicules him for making such a dumb mistake and Blassie can't think of anything on his feet at all.  Then to make matters worse, he calls Bruno "McMahon" AGAIN in the same interview.

23 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

A lot of the old stuff is boring as fuck.

There, I said it. Shoot me. 

I wouldn't shoot you. I actually agree, but this is too good not to use.

*Yes, I'm fully aware that's not Jerry.

• Thanks 2

Sweet. I know there’s a lot of shit on them, but also some good stuff I’ve completely forgotten about. Anyone have any suggestions? 

I also looked up the results to the only WCW show I ever went to, the June 18th, 1998 Thunder. I’ve never actually watched it back. I had forgotten that Benoit/Eddie happened, as well as that IWGP tag title match, with Davey/Anvil beating Chono/Tenzan by DQ. Which, correctly if I’m wrong, wasn’t New Japan pissed because the titles can change hands via DQ and WCW didn’t know?

40 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

All those episodes aired, not sure why they haven't been uploaded.

Someone responded to Lance Storm that for whatever reason - every time the WWE releases a big block of footage like this, there are always episodes missing.

Most likely they found something that they want to go back and edit (or just not air)

All Star Wrestling's front row fan versions of Green Shirt Guy and Long Hair Guy are an old farmer in suspenders and what looks like a MAGA hat and a really large dude who looks like Haystacks Calhoun going through a greaser phase.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Watching the first Thunder and WCW's Roster was so absurd in 98 they had Louie Spicolli vs Rick Martel. And Jericho vs Flair randomly in the middle of the show.

And yet - of course being 1998 WCW they spend the first 10 minutes of their brand new show on limo shots, NWO infighting and Nitro recaps.  

1 hour ago, CSC said:

And yet - of course being 1998 WCW they spend the first 10 minutes of their brand new show on limo shots, NWO infighting and Nitro recaps.  

And they went to their first commercial on a JJ Dillon cliffhanger after the Savage-Chris Adams finish with the Luger to come back from commercial and have Hogan and Bischoff cut a "the nWo is fine" promo before cutting to another commercial then coming back to JJ finally reversing the decision of Savage-Adams in Savages favor cuz of Lugers involvement and a Luger promo.

so April they are adding "WCW Saturday Night"   The wcw saturday show was not called "WCW Saturday Night" until April of 92. I am wondering if 90 and 91 are skipped and we head right to 92 or what.    Crazy note:  First WCW saturday night match was Pillman vs Armstrong for the light heavyweight belt.  The match had a good amount of time for 1992 tv.  The main was Austin vs Zenk 2 out of 3 falls for the tv belt.  One year later Pillman and Austin would form one of the best tag teams ever.