DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Whoever is in charge of their marketing campaigns really needs to get their shit together. I keep getting emails saying that I can get free months as a new subscriber. I've had the Network from the beginning. I work pretty closely with a marketing dept that does this stuff all the time and one of the first things you do before sending out emails like that is to make sure you're not contacting people you shouldn't (those who aren't eligible for the promo b/c they live in certain countries, are already subscribed or signed up, have told you to fuck off in the past, etc). 

I was watching a Rick Steiner squash match from the 12/18/88 WCW show and he brings a kid out of the audience to kick George South in the ribs. He tried to pull one kid out of the audience but he was kinda young so he was pretty scared. He pulled an older kid out and brought him into the ring and they both booted poor George in the ribs. I laughed way too hard at that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on In Your House 23: Breakdown

Jerry Lawler thought Owen Hart was sucking up to the fans in Hamilton, Ontario by wearing a Toronto Argonauts jersey. In fact, Owen was heeling on the fans because Hamilton has its own team, the redundantly named Tiger-Cats. 

As cool as it was to see Christian debut to distract Edge, and as much as we all loved The Brood and the Edge & Christian team, I think Edge was on track to become a singles star if he had continued to receive a solo push.

Al Snow learned that the best way to beat Too Much is to team with another wrestler (Scorpio) rather than an inanimate object (Head). Despite the win, Snow and Scorpio would later team up as part of the J.O.B. Squad.

Jackie didn't bother to bring out the Women's title belt for Marc Mero's match with Droz, but she sported it very proudly the following month at Judgment Day.

Vader got jobbed out again, this time to Bradshaw. Before the match, Bradshaw called Vader fat, showing possible signs of being a bully.

Fan sign: "D-Lo vs. Gangrel: Who Cares?"

The Rock wins the MVP award (surprisingly for the first time) for having the fans in the palm of his hand throughout the three-way cage match against babyface Ken Shamrock and budding babyface Mankind. He earned so much respect at SummerSlam in the ladder match that he really became "The People's Champ."

Dustin Runnels lost to Val Venis, then watched his wife make out with him. Now that's losing a feud. 

One of the best things about the Austin-McMahon feud was how evenly matched it was. Austin didn't always overcome the odds. Here, Vince stacked the deck against him and it worked. Even better were the perplexed faces of Undertaker and Kane after they both pinned Austin but Vince walked off with the belt.

18 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on In Your House 23: Breakdown

Jerry Lawler thought Owen Hart was sucking up to the fans in Hamilton, Ontario by wearing a Toronto Argonauts jersey. In fact, Owen was heeling on the fans because Hamilton has its own team, the redundantly named Tiger-Cats. 

As cool as it was to see Christian debut to distract Edge, and as much as we all loved The Brood and the Edge & Christian team, I think Edge was on track to become a singles star if he had continued to receive a solo push.

Al Snow learned that the best way to beat Too Much is to team with another wrestler (Scorpio) rather than an inanimate object (Head). Despite the win, Snow and Scorpio would later team up as part of the J.O.B. Squad.

Jackie didn't bother to bring out the Women's title belt for Marc Mero's match with Droz, but she sported it very proudly the following month at Judgment Day.

Vader got jobbed out again, this time to Bradshaw. Before the match, Bradshaw called Vader fat, showing possible signs of being a bully.

Fan sign: "D-Lo vs. Gangrel: Who Cares?"

The Rock wins the MVP award (surprisingly for the first time) for having the fans in the palm of his hand throughout the three-way cage match against babyface Ken Shamrock and budding babyface Mankind. He earned so much respect at SummerSlam in the ladder match that he really became "The People's Champ."

Dustin Runnels lost to Val Venis, then watched his wife make out with him. Now that's losing a feud. 

One of the best things about the Austin-McMahon feud was how evenly matched it was. Austin didn't always overcome the odds. Here, Vince stacked the deck against him and it worked. Even better were the perplexed faces of Undertaker and Kane after they both pinned Austin but Vince walked off with the belt.

I remember the pop for the double People's Elbow being ungodly. I think that's the first time I really brought The Rock as being a huge star, moreso than the Summerslam match. I don't know what it was but he just seemed to carry himself differently in this match and he just seemed so far above Mankind and Shamrock that it wasn't even funny. Which is certainly no knock on either of those guys b/c they were fairly big stars themselves but rock just seemed like he was on another level after the pre-match promo he cut and the way he handled himself during the match. Also, Mankind has to be the MVP runner-up due to referencing Spaceman Frank Hickey in his pre-match promo.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, cwoy2j said:

I remember the pop for the double People's Elbow being ungodly. I think that's the first time I really brought The Rock as being a huge star, moreso than the Summerslam match. I don't know what it was but he just seemed to carry himself differently in this match and he just seemed so far above Mankind and Shamrock that it wasn't even funny. Which is certainly no knock on either of those guys b/c they were fairly big stars themselves but rock just seemed like he was on another level after the pre-match promo he cut and the way he handled himself during the match. Also, Mankind has to be the MVP runner-up due to referencing Spaceman Frank Hickey in his pre-match promo.

I'm one of those WO listeners who are watching the RAW 1998 shows and the live RAW post-US Open was the show where Rock became IT.  Taker and Kane were the guys killing everyone and Rock was the one guy to stand up to them and when Rock faced Kane and he went for the People's Elbow, THAT was the moment.  That crowd lost their fucking minds over a dumb move.

• 2 weeks later...

Randomly watching No Mercy 1999. Jeff Jarrett hits Chyna with the belt to win the Good Housekeeping IC title match but the decision doesn't stand b/c he didn't use a household item. Chyna then wins the match by hitting him with that very common household appliance, a balsa wood guitar.

• Haha 1

Thoughts on In Your House 24: Judgment Day

Paul Ellering worked out like a maniac so he could wrestle in the LOD-DOA six-man for five seconds. He didn't even take the pinfall. Fortunately, the Road Warriors got the win in Chicago, but Hawk was perturbed with Droz for collecting the pin after the Doomsday Device.

We had a show for Steel City Wrestling right up against this pay-per-view. After the show, Reckless Youth asked if Christian won the WWF light heavyweight title. And he did! This was a great high-flying match.

They ping-ponged the European title from D-Lo Brown back to X-Pac in another good match. Goldust and Venis was also solid. So say what you will about the Attitude Era and Crash TV, but sometimes the wrestling was high quality.

D-Lo returned to help Mark Henry upset the Rock, but everyone knew the Great One was headed to the top sooner or later.

Howard Finkel specifically announced that Shamrock beat Mankind as a result of Mankind knocking himself out with the mandible claw rather than succumbing to the ankle lock. This resulted in a classic Shamrock freak-out.

Austin and McMahon called each other's bluff in the main event. Austin didn't declare Undertaker or Kane the winner. Vince fired his top star, winning the MVP award with the immortal words: "Screw you, Austin! You're fired!" 

(edited to add that the In Your House series did not end here, because Rock Bottom was billed as an In Your House pay-per-view)

*cues up episode of Prime Time and it starts with a warning about language and views not shared by the WWE*

Hmmm...I wonder what this is about?

*cut to Bad News Brown with a live mic, calling Craig DeGeorge a pansy and Bret Hart a pantywaist*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

7 hours ago, elizium said:

*cues up episode of Prime Time and it starts with a warning about language and views not shared by the WWE*

Hmmm...I wonder what this is about?

*cut to Bad News Brown with a live mic, calling Craig DeGeorge a pansy and Bret Hart a pantywaist*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Eh, that's nowhere near as bad as the episode of TNT I just watched where Roddy Piper talked about how it was just MLK Day but isn't it weird that "Mr. T and Junkyard Dog woke up the day after MLK Day and decided to walk around with chains around their necks".

He then said he would fight Mr. T "anytime,anywhere...and I PLAY SUN CITY, MAAAAAAN!"