DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

That's definitely what did him in. I think the backlash had started just a little, as it had become known that Reigns was "the chosen one". Then Bryan was announced as coming back and got everybody's hopes up that they'd dump the Reigns push and put Bryan back on top where he was when he left months earlier. When that didn't happen......well......here we are now. It also didn't help that Bryan was an early entry in to the Rumble and then dumped like he was Zach Ryder with little to no fanfare or struggle half way through the thing. 

I got past the first round of Russo Nitros and survived.  I'm up to maybe 3 shows after Souled Out and the shows seem significantly better.  That's not to say that they are good or anything but they are less chaotic and less overbooked, and you actually get some matches and clean finishes sometimes.  I guess I'd probably dislike them more if I wasn't just watching months of Russo crap.  It's pallet cleansing, to be honest.

One thing I am amazed at is Russo seemingly didn't start the Booker T/Stevie Ray/Ahmed program fighting over the letter T.  Ahmed sticks out like the sore thumb but so far, I'm entertained by the program, I have to admit.  You got Stevie Ray calling people cracker jack fruit booties, Ahmed doing a wind-up/jack-in-the-box middle finger to the crowd, and Clarence Mason, what's not to enjoy a little bit.

Jarrett's schtick got old back in November, btw.  He's like a polished Paul Roma.

I liked the original Russo Nitros, if for no other reason than the right guys are all over the show. Undercard is heavily Revolution vs Filthy Animals, Rednecks and Harlem Heat involved too, Benoit/Jarrett is a good upper card feud, Bret at the top, Goldberg/Sid was excellent, probably the most underrated use of Luger too (from the start of the Sting heel turn to Team Total Package, the guy stooges for everyone).

After Souled Out, well, hope you like Hogan and the Harris Boys...

Boy howdy did a bunch of World Class just drop! There's some great material up right now. Harley Race coming through during his last NWA reign in the summer of 83 and working a one armed Kevin Von Erich to set up an angle with David is a particular favorite.

On 8/5/2017 at 1:20 PM, Infinit said:

I don't remember The Shadows ever being on one of the syndicated shows. I literally heard of them and saw them for the first time when these eps of Primetime were on Classics On Demand.

The Shadows definitely made TV because I remember Heenan riffing on the old Shadow catchphrase ("who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men") when they showed up one time. 

19 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Didn't realize either most or all of the Z Channel LA house shows got uploaded this week.  Which means you get to see Owen Hart in his prototype "Blue Angel" gimmick.  It literally looks like he was given an hour to come up with something.

Those were very well lit. They looked like proper tv tapings. Weird for a house show (I know it was on tv, but still). 

Watching the '88 LA show. Tito/Valentine is a goddamn great match. No surprise. Worth a watch if you've never seen it. Sherri/Robin too. Sherri was awesome. She hit the ropes better than anyone on the women's roster now. Minor detail, but noticeable. 

While I'm on it, and will probably get flak; I'd gladly take any of the late 80s women's matches over the current ones now. Yeah, there's some good ones now, but the weekly stuff is killing me. It seemed proper pro wrestling back then. Bomb Angels, Velvet, Sherri, Glamour Girls etc. They looked good move-wise and general ring action-wise.

There's a nice handful of quality now in general terms (indie and whatever else I'm sure has some standouts), some I've seen, but WWE-wise, it's hard to get invested in most matches. I'm in the minority, definitely. I'm looking forward to the MYC for a change of action. Because it's not eye candy, I honestly want to see some awesome female matches on a regular basis. 

Watch this match I'm mentioning, and then compare it to the last dozen (or two) ladies matches recently. It's nowhere close in terms of reaction or whatever. They don't even do anything crazy. It's just a random house show and it's more entertaining than a worldwide television match. 

People forget how great the Jumping Bomb Angels vs. Glamour Girls series was or how Rockin Robin vs. Sherri at a taped French house show absolutely STOLE the show.  Hell, not too long ago I remember there being a big deal about a Judy Martin/Desiree Peterson PTW match where Judy just beat the shit out of Desiree (and left bruises) to get her sympathy.  And it worked.  The problem in the 80s was what few women's matches there were featured Moolah and any that didn't were either treated as eye candy (Missy Hyatt mud matches)  or rarely made air.  

Glad you brought up the Tito/Valentine match.  I always loved that Tito would hold a grudge and make his own angles.  He was still pissed that Valentine "broke" his leg and it happened four years prior.  Even at Rumbles, he'd go after Rick Martel years after their feud was over.  

• Like 1

I also remember The Shadows on TV because of their intro: "from Parts Unknown, weight unknown."  I thought it was great that they were so secretive about their identities, they refused to be weighed lest someone do the math and possibly figure out who they were.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:47 PM, sydneybrown said:

People forget how great the Jumping Bomb Angels vs. Glamour Girls series was or how Rockin Robin vs. Sherri at a taped French house show absolutely STOLE the show.  Hell, not too long ago I remember there being a big deal about a Judy Martin/Desiree Peterson PTW match where Judy just beat the shit out of Desiree (and left bruises) to get her sympathy.  And it worked.  The problem in the 80s was what few women's matches there were featured Moolah and any that didn't were either treated as eye candy (Missy Hyatt mud matches)  or rarely made air.  

Oh cripes, the JBAs/GGs absolutely tore down the house at MSG. Mind-blowing stuff for those fans there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh cripes, the JBAs/GGs absolutely tore down the house at MSG. Mind-blowing stuff for those fans there. 

You mean the one right before Survivor Series '87? Or another? I posted that '87 one in the matches thread, pretty much saying what innoted earlier, about how different things were. 

13 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You mean the one right before Survivor Series '87? Or another? I posted that '87 one in the matches thread, pretty much saying what innoted earlier, about how different things were. 

11/24/87, so right before.

The Jumping Bomb Angels were such a completely different thing than anything WWF had to offer in the 80's. It almost feels like they aren't even participating in the same pseudo sport.

The fact that The Glamor Girls were even able to keep up, and make it work is a real credit to them. They were dealing with a style I don't think either of them had any previous experience with whatsoever. But they gelled beautifully.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Jumping Bomb Angels were such a completely different thing than anything WWF had to offer in the 80's. It almost feels like they aren't even participating in the same pseudo sport.

The fact that The Glamor Girls were even able to keep up, and make it work is a real credit to them. They were dealing with a style I don't think either of them had any previous experience with whatsoever. But they gelled beautifully.

I think Kai and Martin had worked in AJW for a bit before this. 

They also worked a ton together on those grueling house show tours. Plus going to Japan. One of the biggest "what if" crimes in wrestling, and surprise surprise, it involves that "saint" Moolah. JBA were supposed to have a big match at WMV and Moolah fucked them and the Glamours over. 

But hey, what a pioneer, right? Let's celebrate her. 

Whoever is in charge of their marketing campaigns really needs to get their shit together. I keep getting emails saying that I can get free months as a new subscriber. I've had the Network from the beginning. I work pretty closely with a marketing dept that does this stuff all the time and one of the first things you do before sending out emails like that is to make sure you're not contacting people you shouldn't (those who aren't eligible for the promo b/c they live in certain countries, are already subscribed or signed up, have told you to fuck off in the past, etc). 

I was watching a Rick Steiner squash match from the 12/18/88 WCW show and he brings a kid out of the audience to kick George South in the ribs. He tried to pull one kid out of the audience but he was kinda young so he was pretty scared. He pulled an older kid out and brought him into the ring and they both booted poor George in the ribs. I laughed way too hard at that.

• Like 1