DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

We need a clip of Sid from Oct 5, 1999 Nitro freaking out because Goldberg has put his car in a crusher machine and then returned it to Sid's parking space. 

Sid was maybe the worst actor to ever get multiple chances at top of the card. 

I actually don't remember that.  I must've fast-forwarded too much.  During that period, they really had a ton of small segments that when you fast-forward, you might end up missing stuff.

9 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I actually don't remember that.  I must've fast-forwarded too much.  During that period, they really had a ton of small segments that when you fast-forward, you might end up missing stuff.

Found it!

ETA: Apparently, they did the crushed car thing twice during this feud. The other time was the night Goldberg slashed his forearm while breaking limo windows. Sid's response to that one was almost identical. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, notoriusvig said:

I just want to get through most of 2000 as fast as possible, and see if Post-Russo gets all that much better.

take it from someone who is currently watching WCW from that era in real time.

i would put Bash at the Beach 2000 as a turning point. Russo is still involved (not sure to what extent) but is not really on camera much. The matches on Nitro actually get a bit more time, most of them end at least semi-cleanly, and it is a much more enjoyable show.

now, fair warning, i'm only 3-4 weeks past BATB, and i'm watching in real time, so it may go downhill again fast, but as of now (just watched the 7/31/00 Nitro this week) the shows are of a much higher quality.

• Like 1

Holy bats, they came through in a big way with all this early 1982 World Class. Gene Goodson is the announcer here... he's one of my all time favorite announcers, super-folksy like an even more Southern Lance Russell. Marc Lowrance makes the intros in a disco leisure suit with a mic right out of the Wolfman Jack collection. You want all of this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Holy bats, they came through in a big way with all this early 1982 World Class. Gene Goodson is the announcer here... he's one of my all time favorite announcers, super-folksy like an even more Southern Lance Russell. Marc Lowrance makes the intros in a disco leisure suit with a mic right out of the Wolfman Jack collection. You want all of this. 

Bundy with hair!  :blink:

Yeah, wasn't that some random money-mark show? 

**edit** 

Okay, so it wasn't Kemper. Here's that full card, for whoever cares... 

International Bash
February 2, 1989 in Kansas City, KS
Memorial Hall drawing 300

Rick McCord beat Bobby Jaggers.

Tiger Mask (Misawa) pinned Tommy Sharpe (8:47).

Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. beat Doug Somers & Gary Young (10:28) when Terry forced Young to submit.

Genichiro Tenryu pinned Bill Irwin (9:24).

Akio Sato pinned Curtis Hughes (8:20).

The British Bulldogs drew The Rock-n-Roll Express (30:00). Pat O'Conner was the special referee.

Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu beat Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy (16:36) to win the International Tag Title when Tsuruta pinned Gordy.

WWA Champ Mike George beat Stevie Ray (10:47) via countout. 

---- 

This sounds pretty kickass. 

Four. Four Young Stallions/Shadows matches. That's how many Prime Time has made me sit through in the last 6 or 7 episodes. I get that a lot of these are just taped house show matches, so there is going to be some repetition over a short period of time but jesus.... If any of you decide to jump into mid 87 Prime Time, I hope you're really into the idea of Jose Estrada/Outback Jack too, cuz there's been a few of those as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I wonder how they got the rights to the RNR/Bulldogs match. Wasn't that just some random indy show?

I thought the AWA had a hand in this show maybe thats where they got it.  Quick research tells me that this was an AJPW-Whatever Bob Geigel was calling Central States at the time joint show using an AWA ring for whatever reason

11 hours ago, elizium said:

Four. Four Young Stallions/Shadows matches. That's how many Prime Time has made me sit through in the last 6 or 7 episodes. I get that a lot of these are just taped house show matches, so there is going to be some repetition over a short period of time but jesus.... If any of you decide to jump into mid 87 Prime Time, I hope you're really into the idea of Jose Estrada/Outback Jack too, cuz there's been a few of those as well.

Those Shadows matches would've been against the Rockers too, had they not been canned. 

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

That's stupid. 

I kinda thought the consensus at the time was that it wasn't a very good match from those that saw it.  I remember PWI did a story about the match talking about how little high-flying there was and while they didn't flat-out say it, the implication seemed to be that the match was mostly restholds.

29 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I don't remember The Shadows ever being on one of the syndicated shows. I literally heard of them and saw them for the first time when these eps of Primetime were on Classics On Demand.

I'd never either, but from what I can glean, once Randy Colley left (who I believe is Shadow 1), he's replaced by Jose Estrada and they become the Conquistadores. I don't remember the Conquistadores ever getting as much offense as the Shadows did, their matches with the Stallions and the CanAms are pretty even.

I was watching the stream earlier today and it was SmackDown from 8/23/14 and Roman was over 3 years ago feuding with Randy Orton. He got a huge pop, and not much of his character had changed from them other then being more snotty in my point of view. What went wrong?

19 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I was watching the stream earlier today and it was SmackDown from 8/23/14 and Roman was over 3 years ago feuding with Randy Orton. He got a huge pop, and not much of his character had changed from them other then being more snotty in my point of view. What went wrong?

Honestly, Daniel Bryan coming back and them sticking with Roman instead of him.

• Like 1