DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well that is weird. They are putting up some 1982 World Class.  Not in order of course.  Unless these are old ones that they took off and modified.

Nice. The ones added today are new to the Network. The set that had been up since Network launch started around October '82, looks like they are digging back a little further before (hopefully) completing 83 and getting into 84 to get the entire Von Erichs vs Freebirds glory years up there.

I tried Starrcade '97, and I made it through the Dean/Eddy match. Then Hall and Giant on mic made me tap out. 

Back to the '80s. Watching 1986 Prime Time Wrestling, opening with Volkoff. I wish he'd have threatened to neuter our pets or called us too much sissy or something. 

(I may have watched Alison Brie's GLOW three times this week.)

Why have they done such a crappy job of adding AWA footage? I get that it's usually not as exciting as other territories from the time, but it's got a lot of history. 

Are the tapes in bad shape? Or is there a rights issue, with ESPN maybe? Or does Vince want to bury it for some reason?

Finally starting Mid-South, with 12/12/1981. Most of this is brand new to me. A few observations:

1. No promos or interviews? Is it possible the WWE have cut them because they were region-specific?

2. The wrestling is good-to-excellent, from the bottom of the card right on up. Even the mixed tag match (midget women) had a lot of solid work, if a slightly botched finish. (well, telegraphed finish is more accurate)

3. DiBiase/Orndorff main event is a fantastic TV match. It's quite the sprint. There's a great spot where DiBiase leans forward to do a backdrop, and at the last second Orndorff stops and pulls Ted into a rollup. It's so simple and so beautifully executed. 

4. Was the bottom rope break not a thing? Ted's about 6 inches from the rope while struggling with the submission, and he never once even reaches for the rope. 

More World Class today. A few episodes from '83 and one from '84.

Another Spectrum show as well. 4/30/83 (Samoans vs Strongbows, Backlund vs Sharpe, Andre/Rocky Johnson vs Muraco/Studd)

• Like 1

Watching the 4/28/86 Prime Time Wrestling episode, there is a SUPER-fun match with Lanny Poffo vs Rene Goulet. Rene is 53 here by my count and he puts on a hell of a performance... grounding Lanny at all the right moments, stooging like a Quebecois Ric Flair and giving Lanny some great shine. This was competitive and really entertaining, and the MSG crowd was hot for the proceedings. 

There's a funny moment towards the end where Rene jackknifes Lanny but the referee (an old guy I've never seen before) is late for the count, and Rene yells "THAT'S THE WORST REFEREE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!" at the announcing team. Really felt like a shoot line as he looked legit pissed.

Thoughts on SummerSlam 98

D-Lo Brown vs. Val Venis was a great battle of rising stars with a terrible DQ finish. It made no sense for referee Jimmy Korderas to accidentally cause Val to crotch himself on the top rope. The fans were so let down that they didn't pop for Val hitting the Money Shot on Korderas.

The poor Oddities had their entrance and victory celebration chopped, probably due to musical rights issue with Insane Clown Posse.

Jeff Jarrett had so much hair that after he lost, X-Pac and Jarrett's recent haircut victims (including Howard Finkel) worked for a long time but still didn't get close to making Jarrett bald.

The New Age Outlaws held Jarrett down during the haircut, but they totally acted like heels in their handicap match against Mankind, in which they regained the WWF tag team title. 

Ken Shamrock's win over Owen Hart in a faux-UFC match was the perfect comeback for him after his loss to Owen in the dungeon one month earlier.

Triple H won the IC title in a ladder match over the Rock in a ladder match as DX's great night continued. Hunter actually regained the belt he lost to Rocky from February 2017 at Thursday Raw Thursday. He took a huge amount of punishment and won the MVP award for the night.

I'm surprised that Undertaker showed respect to Stone Cold Steve Austin after losing the main event to him. Undertaker played by the rules and told Kane not to interfere on his behalf. By contrast, Austin won after hitting a low blow to set up the Stunner.

20 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on SummerSlam 98

Triple H won the IC title in a ladder match over the Rock in a ladder match as DX's great night continued. Hunter actually regained the belt he lost to Rocky from February 2017 at Thursday Raw Thursday. He took a huge amount of punishment and won the MVP award for the night.

I'm surprised that Undertaker showed respect to Stone Cold Steve Austin after losing the main event to him. Undertaker played by the rules and told Kane not to interfere on his behalf. By contrast, Austin won after hitting a low blow to set up the Stunner.

That ladder match is probably the best WWE match I ever saw live. It's the rare kind of match that elevated everyone involved plus the title itself based on how life-and-death hard Trips and Rock were fighting over it.

The pop for Austin's entrance was unfuckingreal. He was over like a rock star... people were starting random "HELL YEAH" chants in the crowd almost like a rallying cry for him.

On 7/21/2017 at 2:38 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Nice. The ones added today are new to the Network. The set that had been up since Network launch started around October '82, looks like they are digging back a little further before (hopefully) completing 83 and getting into 84 to get the entire Von Erichs vs Freebirds glory years up there.

Is there anything added that WASN'T on Classics ON Demand?  Besides the ECW.  It's been how many years and by now I'd figure all of that stuff would have been on here by now.

Not that I care  or anything, but the only thing that was mentioned in the video today was Kurt's collection.  There will be a table for three with Hall, Walkman, and Page and one with Sting, Flair and Steamboat. 

I think that the collections are posted closer to the 10th.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Not that I care  or anything, but the only thing that was mentioned in the video today was Kurt's collection.  There will be a table for three with Hall, Walkman, and Page and one with Sting, Flair and Steamboat. 

I think that the collections are posted closer to the 10th.

sean-waltman-afterbuzz.jpg

Sean Walkman

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Was watching some of the matches from the ladder collections and man I forgot how incredible that 2006 Armageddon 4 way tag team with Regal/Taylor, M&M, Hardy's, and London/Kendrick was.  One of the most physical ladder matches I can remember and not just for Joey Mercury nose shattering on that teeter totter spot too.  London and Kendrick bumping like a maniac off the top of ladder, Jeff Hardy doing a spot outside the ring off a ladder where he landing right on the ropes,  and much more.  

Also saw the Beth Phoenix vs Katie Lea Burchill ladder match from OVW and that was so much better than the 2 Money in the Bank ladder matches.  That women's division in OVW around 2006 was on fire and destroying what the men were offering. 

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Was watching some of the matches from the ladder collections and man I forgot how incredible that 2006 Armageddon 4 way tag team with Regal/Taylor, M&M, Hardy's, and London/Kendrick was.  One of the most physical ladder matches I can remember and not just for Joey Mercury nose shattering on that teeter totter spot too.  London and Kendrick bumping like a maniac off the top of ladder, Jeff Hardy doing a spot outside the ring off a ladder where he landing right on the ropes,  and much more.  

I agree that the match is great. At the time, wasn't this a "Sorry 'December to Dismember' sucked" apology match? I seem to remember them doing this as an olive branch for that shit show earlier. 

I'm still making my way through every Nitro, and I'm up to Starrcade 99.  This probably isn't news to anyone but it's really getting bad.  I'm starting to count how many matches actually end without any type of BS interference or ref bumps.  To say these shows are overbooked is insane.  I do like how they seem to be finally booking Bret Hart as a strong babyface.  Too bad it doesn't last.  I thought the Outsiders and Bret had a decent opening segment the night after Bret won the belt but then out of nowhere Jarrett pops up, levels Bret with a guitar, and steals the belt.  This led to a pretty decent match between the two until Dustin Rhodes decided to help Bret win, which is quite baffling.  Everybody hates everybody, and everybody has serious mental problems in Russo's world.  Friendships don't last very long at all.

I just want to get through most of 2000 as fast as possible, and see if Post-Russo gets all that much better.

23 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm still making my way through every Nitro, and I'm up to Starrcade 99.  This probably isn't news to anyone but it's really getting bad.  I'm starting to count how many matches actually end without any type of BS interference or ref bumps.  To say these shows are overbooked is insane.  I do like how they seem to be finally booking Bret Hart as a strong babyface.  Too bad it doesn't last.  I thought the Outsiders and Bret had a decent opening segment the night after Bret won the belt but then out of nowhere Jarrett pops up, levels Bret with a guitar, and steals the belt.  This led to a pretty decent match between the two until Dustin Rhodes decided to help Bret win, which is quite baffling.  Everybody hates everybody, and everybody has serious mental problems in Russo's world.  Friendships don't last very long at all.

I just want to get through most of 2000 as fast as possible, and see if Post-Russo gets all that much better.

We need a clip of Sid from Oct 5, 1999 Nitro freaking out because Goldberg has put his car in a crusher machine and then returned it to Sid's parking space. 

Sid was maybe the worst actor to ever get multiple chances at top of the card.