DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I love watching those old Garden crowds; they're alive and reacting to the most basic stuff, and then when seeing something totally contrary to that style (Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid, or Cobra/Black Tiger for examples), they completely go apeshit for it. They're just happy to be there!

It's not just the kids, either, because there are barely any. Just a bunch of weirdo dudes and ladies in their 40s going ape for wrestling.

Finished the 73 MSG card late last night and not much else to add other than Jay Strongbow is absolute bullshit at wrestling. Beyond being a hella racist act, his offense is feather light (seriously not an intentional pun) and his selling is not much better. Didn't help that he was fighting Fuji, who spent most of his time on offense twisting Strongbow's nipples. I'll have to check my files, but Strongbow may be the least Native looking dude ever to portray a Native in wrestling and that's saying something.

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Weren't kids banned from msg shows until some point in the early 70s? Same with masked guys and maybe women wrestlers. 

The 73 card has both a masked wrestler (Olympico) and a 2/3 falls women's tag match (Dottie Downs/Peggy Patterson vs Jan Sheridan/Joyce Grable). So if that rule existed, it was ended by then.

The women's match is pretty decent for that Moolah-style wrestling and given a tonne of time. The aesthetics are pretty funny as all four women are platinum bottle blondes, but Downs/Patterson both have beehives and Sheridan/Grable both have that Bewitched style...umm, long hair with the bottom curled up? Not sure what to call that style. Even in 1973, I feel like those styles would have looked really dated, let alone watching the card 44 years later.

Quick googling says kids were banned after an msg riot in 57 until "a decade later."

I believe masked wrestlers were banned until mil mascaras worked msg. I recall famous masked guys working without their gimmicks (Jardine, maybe) or just opting not to work the garden. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Quick googling says kids were banned after an msg riot in 57 until "a decade later."

I believe masked wrestlers were banned until mil mascaras worked msg. I recall famous masked guys working without their gimmicks (Jardine, maybe) or just opting not to work the garden. 

Correct - Mascaras in December 1972 is the first masked guy. Before that guys like Olympico would wear the open-face hood look:

DEWWA4bV0AEpuvb.jpg

Why even bother with the mask if you're have to cut the face out?

And holy shit, I somehow watched that whole Oympico match without noticing that his goddamn face was sticking out. Why would he wear that if Mascaras had already wrestled at MSG?

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Why were masked wrestlers banned anyways?

NYC worked themselves into a shoot:

NEW YORK Penal Law 240.35 (4):

Being masked or in any manner disguised by unusual or unnatural attire or facial alteration, loiters, remains or congregates in a public place with other persons so masked or disguised, or knowingly permits or aids persons so masked or disguised to congregate in a public place; except that such conduct is not unlawful when it occurs in connection with a masquerade party or like entertainment if, when such entertainment is held in a city which has promulgated regulations in connection with such affairs, permission is first obtained from the police or other appropriate authorities.

I'm pretty sure this is still on the books, they just relaxed it for wrestling, which wasn't "entertainment" yet.

Just now, hammerva said:

So unless people are screwing with me on Twitter they are cancelling Talking Smack and I would assume the RAW Talk version.  All together now

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   <_<

I swear to shit they better not, Talking Smack was a super entertaining show.  I'll have to check the Observer, but the times I read it seemed they had pretty good viewership.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:31 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'm intrigued, but I can't imagine that would have been any good in 2006.

I dunno. Sabu was pretty motivated for a decent chunk of his WWE run. He had some good matches with Rey, Big Show and Cena. Flair had that brawl with Big Show and fairly good I Quit Match with Foley that year. I think they could've had a fun smoke and mirrors type brawl.

• Like 1

It's a really intriguing match because at that time Flair is moving to garbage wrestling because of his limitations and Sabu is trying to prove he can make it in WWE beyond the stuff normally in his wheelhouse. Ric is pulling from the Funk playbook while Sabu is doing the things you'd expect from him but also having pretty good non-gimmick matches with guys like Angle. 

• Like 1

I tried giving 06 ECW some chances but I'm running thin and I'm only at the show after the Hammerstein show with Show/Batista.  Most of the stuff is just boring.  The Rey/RVD match from the Head-to-Head was pretty good and I think there was RVD/Angle.  The novelty of Flair/Show was decent and it was a solid match.  This was probably covered here even in 06 but that Show/Batista match was one of the worst booked matches I've seen in a while and I'm currently also going through 99 Nitro.  At least, they kinda sent people home happy in the end.  Didn't they blame the crowd for how bad everything was and then never run Hammerstein again?

I had an impromptu day off yesterday so watched Summerslam 89 and 90. 90 was a loooooooong show but the thing that stuck out on both - why the hell has Rick Rude's music been swapped? I can understand licensing issues with certain songs (Metallica for example) but Rude's quasi-stripper music?? C'mon

I noticed when I was watching old Smackdowns recently that they dubbed over the Disturbed song Austin was using for his entrance around 2002, but instead of just replacing it with his actual theme song they put in generic hard rock music. Weird. 

I'm not a fan of Disturbed, but I wonder what it would've sounded like, had they been allowed to do their version. They had actually written and recorded a song for him, and WWE listened and liked it. Then, last second told them to rewrite it and just repeat the same stuff over and over.