DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Thoughts on In Your House 22: Fully Loaded

Val Venis is the quintessential Attitude Era wrestler. Once the era ended, he was on borrowed time. Even though Edge was still "lurking in the crowd" at this time, Edge was able to win 10 world titles because he wasn't pigeonholed into a raunchy gimmick like poor Val.

Not sure why D-Lo Brown didn't put the European title on the line against X-Pac, when D-Lo ended up winning the match. Of course, the perfect reason for D-Lo or any heel champion would be, "We're not in Europe."

Bradshaw was angry with his partner, Terry Funk, for announcing his next semi-retirement before the match. Bradshaw was also facing his future partner, Faarooq, while still wearing his old Blackjacks trunks.

Paul Ellering was interfering liberally on DOA's behalf against the Road Warriors, even though he usually stands there holding the Wall Street Journal. His outfit touted himself as "Wizard of the Web" and "Mr. Dot Com." Did Ellering even have a website?

Sable was the No. 2 star of the show, as her bikini contest was in the co-main event, and Jerry Lawler was salivating over her all night. Dustin Runnells said a prayer for all of the lost souls before the bikini contest, even though he was wearing a "WWF Attitude" shirt.

Mankind deserved to walk into the main event with a title belt after the unearthly amount of punishment he took at King of the Ring.

Owen Hart is the MVP for inviting a UFC Superfight champion to his house and beating him in a submission match. Owen did a great job using his familiarity with his own basement to his advantage. The match was worked as realistically as possible, but then it hilariously went into "sports entertainment" mode with a screwjob finish after a ref bump (even though the ref was Dan "The Beast" Severn, another UFC Superfight champion). I love Double Double F.

Late to the party but I caught the Kevin Owens first look on the network.  I know many times they've used pictures and references from ROH, but can't remember them using ROH footage.  It looks like they reached some kind of deal with ROH after all.  I don't know if this means old stuff on the network, but it's sure nice to see it for Kevin's documentary.  It also hit home how relatively boring the Sinclair shows have become for the most part.  Even as fairly recent as 2011/2012 the shows had an air of excitement.  Now while there's good stuff on there it doesn't have that special something it once had.

Paul Ellering was interfering liberally on DOA's behalf against the Road Warriors, even though he usually stands there holding the Wall Street Journal. His outfit touted himself as "Wizard of the Web" and "Mr. Dot Com." Did Ellering even have a website?

He interfered quite a bit for the Warriors when they were heels. Whenever they wanted the Warriors to lose but not get pinned, the result was usually a DQ due to Ellering's interference. When they were faces, he was mainly there to counteract heel managers like JJ and Cornette. 

• Like 1

I went back and watched the DDP/Sting match from one of the April 99 Nitros as it's one of my favorite tv matches of all-time. However, what really stood out to me were the skits with Flair in a mental hospital. Not in a good way obviously but I just never really thought about how absurdly stupid they were until now. WCW had arguably the greatest wrestler and talker on the roster and they thought the best use of him was to portray a mental patient.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:46 PM, cwoy2j said:

I went back and watched the DDP/Sting match from one of the April 99 Nitros as it's one of my favorite tv matches of all-time. However, what really stood out to me were the skits with Flair in a mental hospital. Not in a good way obviously but I just never really thought about how absurdly stupid they were until now. WCW had arguably the greatest wrestler and talker on the roster and they thought the best use of him was to portray a mental patient.

"And let's have Scott Hall be there too, for no reason! And we'll never follow up on it or even address it ever again!"

The 73 MSG card they just added needs to be watched just for the old lady that comes out to harass Toru Tanaka (during the 2nd match, against El Olympico). There's no guard rails, so security lets her walk all the way around the ring, banging on the apron and screaming at Tanaka all the while. She even does the "thumb to nose, twiddle fingers" thing at him. It's hilarious. Vince names her, so I'm guessing she was just a colourful regular, rather than a stunt granny.

The crowd in general is great, everyone looks like a sex offender. New York in the 70s was an amazing, wonderful place. I wish I could go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elizium said:

The 73 MSG card they just added needs to be watched just for the old lady that comes out to harass Toru Tanaka (during the 2nd match, against El Olympico). There's no guard rails, so security lets her walk all the way around the ring, banging on the apron and screaming at Tanaka all the while. She even does the "thumb to nose, twiddle fingers" thing at him. It's hilarious. Vince names her, so I'm guessing she was just a colourful regular, rather than a stunt granny.

The crowd in general is great, everyone looks like a sex offender. New York in the 70s was an amazing, wonderful place. I wish I could go.

I love watching those old Garden crowds; they're alive and reacting to the most basic stuff, and then when seeing something totally contrary to that style (Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid, or Cobra/Black Tiger for examples), they completely go apeshit for it. They're just happy to be there!

• Like 3

WWECW was pretty great at times.  It is unfortunate that one of their worst shows was the one PPV they had.  There was a great series of matches between Goldust and a newly debuted Shemus, along with the Jack Swagger looking like a can't miss prospect and the beginning of Mark Henry's push.

• Like 1

I have vague memories of enjoying a CM Punk Chavo Guerrero ECW Championship match which ended up with Chavo thrown into the sea or a river. Not incredible wrestling but a fun little brawl. Maybe it's rosy memories but I seem to remember enjoying their feud in general.

I will definitely dive into WWECW stuff eventually. It was hurt by having the ECW name but I do remember it being a fun little show at the best of times.

WWECW was probably my favorite show/promotion for its last couple of years. Even the early run has stuff I enjoyed, like Flair going full Onita in the Big Show match. It was definitely a link in the evolutionary chain of what's become modern NXT. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I love watching those old Garden crowds; they're alive and reacting to the most basic stuff, and then when seeing something totally contrary to that style (Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid, or Cobra/Black Tiger for examples), they completely go apeshit for it. They're just happy to be there!

It's not just the kids, either, because there are barely any. Just a bunch of weirdo dudes and ladies in their 40s going ape for wrestling.

Finished the 73 MSG card late last night and not much else to add other than Jay Strongbow is absolute bullshit at wrestling. Beyond being a hella racist act, his offense is feather light (seriously not an intentional pun) and his selling is not much better. Didn't help that he was fighting Fuji, who spent most of his time on offense twisting Strongbow's nipples. I'll have to check my files, but Strongbow may be the least Native looking dude ever to portray a Native in wrestling and that's saying something.

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Weren't kids banned from msg shows until some point in the early 70s? Same with masked guys and maybe women wrestlers. 

The 73 card has both a masked wrestler (Olympico) and a 2/3 falls women's tag match (Dottie Downs/Peggy Patterson vs Jan Sheridan/Joyce Grable). So if that rule existed, it was ended by then.

The women's match is pretty decent for that Moolah-style wrestling and given a tonne of time. The aesthetics are pretty funny as all four women are platinum bottle blondes, but Downs/Patterson both have beehives and Sheridan/Grable both have that Bewitched style...umm, long hair with the bottom curled up? Not sure what to call that style. Even in 1973, I feel like those styles would have looked really dated, let alone watching the card 44 years later.