DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I don't blame anybody for giving up on Bring it to the Table, but last night was kind of weird even by their standards.  It's one thing to discuss WWE stuff, but they brought up the whole ...dive controversy and even mentioned Ricochet/Osprey from last year.  Kind of threw me for a loop it would be brought up like that and discussed for a fair bit of time.

8 hours ago, elizium said:

According to Lord Alfred, Lanny Poffo is the "most supple" wrestler he's ever seen. That might be the only interesting thing that Hayes has ever added to a match.

Saying a certain female wrestler was "no sylph-like figure" was way up there too.

Spoiler

Dump Matsumoto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't blame anybody for giving up on Bring it to the Table, but last night was kind of weird even by their standards.  It's one thing to discuss WWE stuff, but they brought up the whole ...dive controversy and even mentioned Ricochet/Osprey from last year.  Kind of threw me for a loop it would be brought up like that and discussed for a fair bit of time.

I wonder if they've hit the "No one (i.e. Vince) is watching, so we can do whatever we want" phase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I wonder if they've hit the "No one (i.e. Vince) is watching, so we can do whatever we want" phase.

if someone figures out that Vince would probably watch the "Monkey picks its butt, smells it, falls out of tree" clip on an infinite loop, they may never have to worry about him watching the product again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

if someone figures out that Vince would probably watch the "Monkey picks its butt, smells it, falls out of tree" clip on an infinite loop, they may never have to worry about him watching the product again.

"God damn it, pal! THAT'S how you sell!"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This following a NSFRippa segment where JBL entertains the notion that Bayley might not "make it in wrestling." 

• Like 1

Bring it to the Table has definitely hit that "Vince know no longer is paying attention" period so it definitely can be better.

My problem is always going to be 1) the use of fucking Rosenberg and 2) the use of JBL

• Like 2

On 6/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, cwoy2j said:

He was really pissed about the t-shirt thing. The story is in one of those Titan Sinking books. I think it's in Titan Screwed. I think the writers tracked down an interview he did talking about that day. He said he was basically just being a big pain in the ass the entire day due to his back hurting and them calling for Tyson to knock him out and bury him in the t-shirt was just something he decided to harp about and be pissed off over. 

He talks about it in his first book as well. It's probably where the Titan Sinking books got the material.

3 hours ago, Ace said:

He talks about it in his first book as well. It's probably where the Titan Sinking books got the material.

Most likely. Those books rely heavily on wrestler autobiographies and shoots for quotes.

Watching the Bruno collection, him vs Waldo Von Erich from 1975 is one of the damnedest 3-minute matches you'll ever see. Bruno's arm/shoulder must've been jacked because he's using one arm and gets squashed the entire time before getting a quick comeback and winning with a kick to the gut (yes). And the crowd is fucking BONKERS for the entire spectacle. Just unreal crowd heat from bell to bell. 

On 6/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, Pete said:

Watching the Bruno collection, him vs Waldo Von Erich from 1975 is one of the damnedest 3-minute matches you'll ever see. Bruno's arm/shoulder must've been jacked because he's using one arm and gets squashed the entire time before getting a quick comeback and winning with a kick to the gut (yes). And the crowd is fucking BONKERS for the entire spectacle. Just unreal crowd heat from bell to bell. 

Waldo had stabbed Bruno's arm. And it's Bruno Sammartino,  Italian immigrant and the embodiment of the American dream, beating the shit out of a Nazi. It's awesome.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Shane said:

5 (so far) new MSG shows have gone up today. 4 from the late 70s and one from the mid 80s. 

If MSG shows are the drop for this month, I am A-ok with that. 

HA! I was actually at that 1985 show with my dad- it was the go-home show for the first Mania, on a Sunday afternoon since it was also St Patrick's Day.

I recommend the Bruno/Hansen cage match for proof of how "escape the cage" rules are supposed to work and not come off like "first guy to run away wins".  

Thoughts on King of the Ring 98

When I walked into the arena in Pittsburgh and saw the gas cans on the announcers' table, I knew something big was going to happen. I had no idea.

Ken Shamrock put Jeff Jarrett in the anklelock, and he tapped out immediately. That's how you sell an MMA submission hold.

The announcers were looking forward to a Shamrock-Severn final, so they must not have seen their fight at UFC 9. Check out my UFC History Project to learn how unfathomably bad that fight was.

When Severn lost to the Rock due to a top-rope splash by a chest-protector-clad D-Lo Brown, he must have thought, "I never had to worry about that in the UFC."

I'm glad I got to see the first match featuring an inanimate object as a participant. It seemed like Al Snow was in a handicap match against Too Much, but when he tagged in Head, he had a weapon that he could use legally.

Owen Hart and X-Pac started their match with the same spot from their King of the Ring bout four years earlier. This time, it was X-Pac delivering the baseball slide dropkick before the opening bell.

A match between the WWF and NWA tag team champions would have been mind-blowing 10 years earlier. Chyna proved to be a better equalizer than Jim Cornette, whose tennis-racket smash did not lead the Midnight Express to victory.

Ken Shamrock won King of the Ring by continuing his dominance of the Rock, which somehow didn't result in winning the IC title from him. Rock and HHH got into a scuffle to kick off their feud.

Mankind is the obvious MVP, as he cemented his legendary status with his falls off and through the Hell in a Cell. Nobody expected the match to continue after the fall off the cell. When it did, the match moved into a category all its own. The Violence Meter was broken, and we were in uncharted territory.

After Stone Cold Steve Austin lost the WWF title to Kane, the fans silently filed out of the building as if the Steelers had just lost on a last-second field goal. 

• Like 1

Prime Time Wrestling: Ken Resnick asks Slick why he decided on the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff when he was looking for wrestler's contracts to purchase (or purchase half of in this case). Slick's answer? As a black man in America, he understands the persecution and discrimination that they face as immigrants. Slick is the absolute best.

• Like 4

On 6/21/2017 at 4:05 PM, Raziel403 said:

I recommend the Bruno/Hansen cage match for proof of how "escape the cage" rules are supposed to work and not come off like "first guy to run away wins".  

I've always been fine with "beat the guy unconscious" and then walk out of the cage.  It makes sense for a heel to go for a cheap win (i.e. the face gets his foot or arm caught in the ropes) but otherwise it should be a brawl until only one man can walk out.