DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 5/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, PetrolCB said:

I'm so glad they added a ton of PTW's. I'm catching up on them now. I don't know what took them so long. 

The one I'm on now is during the build up to WMV (3/20), and has DiBiase/Hart (which, unsurprisingly, is great). Good stuff. I think this was actually on one of Bret's dvds when he came back, but it didn't have commentary. 

This is also around the time I started watching wrestling, I had just turned three a week before this episode.

These episodes are also really making me wish Schiavone stayed with the company. He was great in the WWF. With what he says on his podcast, leaving was the biggest mistake he's ever made in wrestling. The man wept for days, but it was just a matter of having to afford a house up there in Connecticut for his family. 

That DiBiase/Hart match is what made me a fan of Bret Hart.  I expected it to be the usual "tag team guy gets killed by main eventer" but Bret made me think he might actually win, and at the time, I had no idea of Bret's abilities or background, I just knew him as the "weaker" link of the Hart Foundation.  That match is why I legit thought he was going to pin DiBiase at Survivor Series 90.

I loved Tony in WWF, but I think it's for the best he only stayed a year.  We can now look back fondly at how good he was before he eventually would have been ruined or the novelty would have worn off.  Much like the amazing Paul Heyman run of 2001.  

I absolutely loved the few minutes Dibiase/Hart got in SS 90, and it's even more impressive considering Bret's brother died the day before.  I'll need to see their proper match from PTW but am curious if they had more matches together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I absolutely loved the few minutes Dibiase/Hart got in SS 90, and it's even more impressive considering Bret's brother died the day before.  I'll need to see their proper match from PTW but am curious if they had more matches together.

They were on opposing sides at Survivor Series '91, but I can't remember if they had a lengthy amount of time. I do know their sprint from this SS has one of the more blatant on camera spot calls captured. Nothing ridiculous, but it's very clear. Like Cena in every match from the past decade. 

• Like 2

I was watching Badd Blood this morning and Vince, JR and King are really dismissive of Pillman's death. They were actually talking about how Pillman's death would affect his situation with Goldust and Marlena and shilling what's going to happen the next night on RAW. Vince announces Pillman's death and then immediately throws it to a midget match. I know we all give Vince shit for the interview with Pillman's widow but this is up there in terms of tastelessness. 

16 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I always found it weird how wrestler deaths were almost shrugged off back then, Pillman's being a glaring and bizarre example. 

Seriously. Vince pretty much was like, "We're sorry to inform you that Brian Pillman, who was scheduled to face Goldust next, has passed away. We hope this midget match we put together at the last minute will entertain you in his absence."

48 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Andre got immediate video package/Hall of Fame induction upon death, no?

They announced the original incarnation of the HoF two months after Andre died and he was the first and only inductee. 

Pillman was my first wrestler death after becoming a fan. I remember Raw opening with Vince onstage with the roster saying, "Brian Pillman..." and thinking he was about to apologize for some wild angle with Goldust/Marlene that had generated backlash. I was completely caught off guard with what followed. 

15 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Who was the first to get the big RIP video package? Perfect?

Owen's death was the first one after Andre that I remember either WCW or WWF/E making a big deal out of.

I remember after Louie Spicolli died, Larry Z said something like, "out of respect for his family, I'm going to refrain from commenting." Basically still in "working" mode b/c he'd been feuding with Louie at the time.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:42 AM, CreativeControl said:

I always found it weird how wrestler deaths were almost shrugged off back then, Pillman's being a glaring and bizarre example. 

The one that I remember to this day is how they waited a month to announce the death of referee Joey Marella (randomly on All American Wrestling no less) because they apparently had to burn through all the matches he appeared in first.  

Rick McGraw is an obvious one since he died before his match with Roddy Piper aired.  And to this day people think Piper killed him.  Google "Did Roddy Piper" and "kill Rick McGraw" should be one of your top options.

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Owen's death was the first one after Andre that I remember either WCW or WWF/E making a big deal out of.

I remember after Louie Spicolli died, Larry Z said something like, "out of respect for his family, I'm going to refrain from commenting." Basically still in "working" mode b/c he'd been feuding with Louie at the time.

That was one of the most classless things I've ever seen/heard on a wrestling show. 

• Like 2

To switch gears a bit, I was watching Undertaker vs. Rey from RR 09 and Matt Striker is so gratingly annoying. You can tell King just wants to backhand him. At one point, Taker tosses Rey over the top rope and King is putting over Taker's strength and how Rey was lucky he didn't land on his head and Striker says, "that just shows the agility of Rey Mysterio!" like Rey landed on his feet. Then Striker followed that up by saying that Rey's size was actually an advantage when going up against Taker. The best part about that was as soon as he said it, Rey tried some aerial move and Taker just punched him right in the mouth and swatted him to the outside. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 8:20 PM, sydneybrown said:

The one that I remember to this day is how they waited a month to announce the death of referee Joey Marella (randomly on All American Wrestling no less) because they apparently had to burn through all the matches he appeared in first.  

Rick McGraw is an obvious one since he died before his match with Roddy Piper aired.  And to this day people think Piper killed him.  Google "Did Roddy Piper" and "kill Rick McGraw" should be one of your top options.

I actually got the ungrammatical "killed Rick McGraw", which I assume means people who think that are illiterate:

QwB3Mtg.png

Rick Steiner is so crazy over in 1988. I've always heard about the urban legend that Dusty wanted to hot shot the belt on him and fuck it, I'm with Dusty if true. Luger is popular, but is kind of lame as a face and doesn't have much more in the promo department than "You think you can beat me Flair, well look at this! *takes off shirt/flexes*

Sting was obviously going to be the guy later, but hell, capitalize on Steiner's weird charm and give him six months as champion.

*Steiner holds Big Gold directly in his own face* "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, I won this Tony! I won this by myself!"

• Like 1

Since it appears they didn't do a WWE 24 on Mania this year - this probably serves as most of the backstage stuff (with probably some in the Goldberg one)

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 2:20 PM, cwoy2j said:

I was watching Badd Blood this morning and Vince, JR and King are really dismissive of Pillman's death. They were actually talking about how Pillman's death would affect his situation with Goldust and Marlena and shilling what's going to happen the next night on RAW. Vince announces Pillman's death and then immediately throws it to a midget match. I know we all give Vince shit for the interview with Pillman's widow but this is up there in terms of tastelessness. 

I don't think JR was dismissive. IIRC, Lawler says something about how Pillman's death will effect the Hart Foundation in their matches, and JR shoots it right down by saying Pillman's death effects all of them in a real somber tone. I can only assume JR was pretty upset about Pillman given their history going back to latter day NWA/early WCW.

I chalk up Vince and Lawler as being carny pieces of shit. While, I've heard some bad stories about JR, and how he's not the lovable country bumpkin "Good 'Ol JR", I'd like to believe he's not as big of a piece of shit as Vince and Lawler. He might be, who knows? They're all carnies in a fucked up business.

ShDwPEg.jpg?1

Rick Steiner is trying to trick the Varsity Club by posing as a wrestler named Mr. Pain. He might have accidentally given up his ruse by whispering "Shhh...it's me" to David Crockett. The headgear might also be a giveaway.

• Like 2