DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Jimmy Garvin ruined it himself by waiting about three seconds to react to the cinder block because he didn't realize he had been hit with it.  If anything, Sting's shorts served as a distraction to the ridiculousness of it all.

That was all endorphins.

6 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Jimmy Garvin ruined it himself by waiting about three seconds to react to the cinder block because he didn't realize he had been hit with it.  If anything, Sting's shorts served as a distraction to the ridiculousness of it all.

It's not his fault, pally.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 1998

The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust had a fun opener with Vader. Luna riding on Vader’s back during the Vader Bomb looked great at the finish.

Sunny was relegated to refereeing a six-man mini-luchador match, while Sable’s star was starting to rise.

The Rock lost to Ken Shamrock but retained the IC title by planting a set of brass knuckles on him for a reverse decision disqualification. They would do a similar finish at WrestleMania, in which Shamrock clearly won the match but didn’t walk away with the title.

The New Age Outlaws also hung onto the tag team belts by getting disqualified against the Road Warriors. Despite this chicanery, the Outlaws really looked strong in this feud by calling Hawk & Animal old and keeping the belts away from them. 

Stone Cold Steve Austin is the MVP for winning the Royal Rumble despite “everyone gunning for him.” The announcers hyped “Austin v. Everyone” all night, even more than the main event. The Rumble field was very weak, as Mick Foley was used three times, and there was even a “blank spot” teasing that Austin had been attacked backstage.

I had forgotten about Undertaker’s mini-reunion with Kane before the Rumble. Kane saved Taker from the same fate that befell him against Yokozuna four years earlier. Alas, Kane then turned on Taker, gift-wrapping another win for Shawn Michaels. Kane setting the casket on fire was crazy and probably scared a lot of children.

• Like 1

Thoughts on In Your House 20: No Way Out of Texas

The WWF added "of Texas" to the title, to avoid legal trouble with WCW over the "N.W.O." initials.

Marvelous Marc Mero and Goldust lost to the Headbangers, and all four men were overshadowed by the fight between Sable and Luna. The fans really caught on to Sable's getting active rather than just cheering for her man at ringside.

Pantera looked fantastic against Taka Michinoku, busting out a lot of high-flying offense. Too bad we didn't see more of him, like the situation when Taka stole the spotlight from Great Sasuke on his debut. 

I didn't remember that The Quebecers returned to the WWF to join the pile of midcard tag teams. They lost to the Godwinns, so they weren't getting close to another shot at the belts.

Jeff Jarrett's NWA backup crew of Barry Windham, Jim Cornette and the Rock & Roll Express was trying to come off as old school, but they really just seemed old. It's almost as if the WWF allowed Cornette to run with this idea as a rib on him.

Ken Shamrock continued to dominate his feud with The Rock by making him tap out in the eight-man War of Attrition match.

Kane wins the MVP award for pinning Vader with the tombstone and clobbering him in the face with a wrench. He kept rolling toward his WrestleMania showdown with The Undertaker.

The absence of Shawn Michaels created a very weird dynamic for the main event. DX said that nobody could fill Shawn's shoes, but the WWF forced them to accept Savio Vega as a substitute partner. This made sense because Los Boricuas helped out DX during the casket match at the Royal Rumble. Austin pinned Road Dogg and then got a huge pop for hitting the Stunner on Chyna to close the show.

Okay fellas, I finally caved and got the network. Let's pretend I'm an open book with no wrestling knowledge, what are some of the events, specials and shows I should check out?

My tastes run towards the old school and my favourite year in wrestling is 1992 but I've only ever watched WWF and WCW

I don't want to necro that thread, but with the WWE making the UK TV show, I figured I should get around to watching the UK Title Tournament.  Holy crap.  Whoever puts together these special events for the WWE network (CWC, UKCT) deserves a pay raise and a job for life.  The event was four months ago, I knew the results, and it still kept me on the edge of my seat.  Just well done, all around.

I can't wait for the women's tourney this summer.

• Like 1

FWIW, the editors apparently fell asleep at the wheel, and during the 3/28/88 PrimeTime "Best of TNT" special, they play "Eye of the Tiger" in full during the second half of the Hogan/Hillbilly Jim training montage.  First time I've heard that on a WWF show in decades.

I'm so glad they added a ton of PTW's. I'm catching up on them now. I don't know what took them so long. 

The one I'm on now is during the build up to WMV (3/20), and has DiBiase/Hart (which, unsurprisingly, is great). Good stuff. I think this was actually on one of Bret's dvds when he came back, but it didn't have commentary. 

This is also around the time I started watching wrestling, I had just turned three a week before this episode.

These episodes are also really making me wish Schiavone stayed with the company. He was great in the WWF. With what he says on his podcast, leaving was the biggest mistake he's ever made in wrestling. The man wept for days, but it was just a matter of having to afford a house up there in Connecticut for his family. 

15 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Okay fellas, I finally caved and got the network. Let's pretend I'm an open book with no wrestling knowledge, what are some of the events, specials and shows I should check out?

My tastes run towards the old school and my favourite year in wrestling is 1992 but I've only ever watched WWF and WCW

Pretty much any random 85/early 86 World Championship Wrestling is great if you want an appreciation of just how awesome Tully Blanchard was. Flair wasn't on the show every week, so Tully carried it on his back. Matches every week, at least one if not two interview segments, balancing multiple feuds with guys like Magnum and Dusty. Plus, early days of the Horsemen...

I was watching a SNME from I believe it was November '87.  This was an awesome show that I somehow have never seen before. It featured Bret Hart vs. Macho Man with a hell of a sell job by Macho after he hurts his ankle. The crowd was nuclear for this.  

On 5/8/2017 at 4:39 AM, elizium said:

Pretty much any random 85/early 86 World Championship Wrestling is great if you want an appreciation of just how awesome Tully Blanchard was. Flair wasn't on the show every week, so Tully carried it on his back. Matches every week, at least one if not two interview segments, balancing multiple feuds with guys like Magnum and Dusty. Plus, early days of the Horsemen...

This. You also get some fun Ronnie Garvin squashes where he just beats the piss out of jobbers. Also, 1987 was a good year. You get the hidden gem that was The New Breed with Sean Royal's whacked out promos and them ranting about being sent from the year 2001 where Dusty Rhodes is president.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

This. You also get some fun Ronnie Garvin squashes where he just beats the piss out of jobbers. Also, 1987 was a good year. You get the hidden gem that was The New Breed with Sean Royal's whacked out promos and them ranting about being sent from the year 2001 where Dusty Rhodes is president.

1) David Crockett's weird erotic commentary to Ron Garvin matches is the best. "He likes when you hit him back! He wants it!"

2) I think Sean Royal could really have been something if he stuck around. Even though he was green as fuck, he had crazy athleticism (much better than Chris "I'm going to nearly kill myself every time I go up top" Champion). And yeah, he was hella goofy on the mic (again, super green though...rewatch their first promo, you can hear Champion off camera reciting the promo to him while he does it), but my god, him and Sting together would have been amazing. He's not on Sting's level at all, but they have so many similarities.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, PetrolCB said:

I'm so glad they added a ton of PTW's. I'm catching up on them now. I don't know what took them so long. 

The one I'm on now is during the build up to WMV (3/20), and has DiBiase/Hart (which, unsurprisingly, is great). Good stuff. I think this was actually on one of Bret's dvds when he came back, but it didn't have commentary. 

This is also around the time I started watching wrestling, I had just turned three a week before this episode.

These episodes are also really making me wish Schiavone stayed with the company. He was great in the WWF. With what he says on his podcast, leaving was the biggest mistake he's ever made in wrestling. The man wept for days, but it was just a matter of having to afford a house up there in Connecticut for his family. 

That DiBiase/Hart match is what made me a fan of Bret Hart.  I expected it to be the usual "tag team guy gets killed by main eventer" but Bret made me think he might actually win, and at the time, I had no idea of Bret's abilities or background, I just knew him as the "weaker" link of the Hart Foundation.  That match is why I legit thought he was going to pin DiBiase at Survivor Series 90.

I loved Tony in WWF, but I think it's for the best he only stayed a year.  We can now look back fondly at how good he was before he eventually would have been ruined or the novelty would have worn off.  Much like the amazing Paul Heyman run of 2001.  

I absolutely loved the few minutes Dibiase/Hart got in SS 90, and it's even more impressive considering Bret's brother died the day before.  I'll need to see their proper match from PTW but am curious if they had more matches together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I absolutely loved the few minutes Dibiase/Hart got in SS 90, and it's even more impressive considering Bret's brother died the day before.  I'll need to see their proper match from PTW but am curious if they had more matches together.

They were on opposing sides at Survivor Series '91, but I can't remember if they had a lengthy amount of time. I do know their sprint from this SS has one of the more blatant on camera spot calls captured. Nothing ridiculous, but it's very clear. Like Cena in every match from the past decade. 

• Like 2

I was watching Badd Blood this morning and Vince, JR and King are really dismissive of Pillman's death. They were actually talking about how Pillman's death would affect his situation with Goldust and Marlena and shilling what's going to happen the next night on RAW. Vince announces Pillman's death and then immediately throws it to a midget match. I know we all give Vince shit for the interview with Pillman's widow but this is up there in terms of tastelessness.