DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They are uploading some NXT from 2012 and 2013.  Not all of it for some reason.   I believe all of these shows pre Network are still on Hulu

Now if we can get them to upload some OVW

Watched a little bit of Wrestlemania 2015 in San Jose and I still say that all WM should be done outdoors and begin at 4 PM.  The bright sun in the beginning with the growing shades coming in to the darkness at the main event makes it looks so good.  

Also can you imagine John Cena playing Mr. USA vs Russev playing the Russian sympathizer in 2017 given how things are in this country 

• Like 1

Been watching a lot of ECW ppv's lately (in random order), I really want to get into the TV episodes, but not really sure where to start though. Suggestions for a good jump off point?

Speaking of which, will the WWECW shows ever be uploaded?

Late '94 or early '95. From what I've seen and it seems to be the consensus, '95 is easily their best year for TV. The character work in the Raven and Dreamer feud is outstanding. The matches may not have aged all that well (though I don't dislike them as much as others, in fact I still enjoy them), but the promos are fantastic. You've got Cactus doing the best mic work of his career before heading off to the WWF too. Jericho, Malenko, Benoit, Guerrero all come in during that period. So much good stuff.

Raven debuted on the January 7th, 1995 episode of ECW TV but there's some stuff with Stevie that's interesting in the build-up to that.

Watching some 92 WCW stuff and two takeaways

A. 2 Cold Scorpio's debut isn't ever mentioned when people talk about great debuts but he blew the roof off the joint. The crowd went nuts for his 450. Kinda cool b/c JR and Jesse play it like they don't know who he is and he doesn't even get a name. Not something you'd see nowadays with how branded everything is but it made it seem very real.

B. There needs to be a Dangerous Alliance collection on The Network like now.

Also, Madusa chasing Paul E through the arena while wearing an evening gown and high heels without busting her ass on the concrete is pretty impressive. She even sort of jumped the guardrail and chased him up the steps. She was very athletic.

12 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

Been watching a lot of ECW ppv's lately (in random order), I really want to get into the TV episodes, but not really sure where to start though. Suggestions for a good jump off point?

Speaking of which, will the WWECW shows ever be uploaded?

I haven't watched ECW in a while, but I started from the very first Hardcore TV episode (before they filled in the blanks not too long ago)  Despite it saying Eastern at the time they've always been extreme, and it's fascinating to see names and non-names come and go.  But if you're not up for seeing it from the very start '95 is the way to go.  I'm still in April but the aforementioned Raven's debut and followup has been awesome to watch.  Really need to get back to watching these.

And the reason I held off on ECW is I started cherry picking through the Wrestlemanias.  Not sure I can do this since 33 is next Saturday, but if anything it's worth getting the gist of how they ran the shows so far.  WM1 was a mix of stuff capped off by a pretty fun main event.  WM2 however was the shits.  The production was wonky at times and there were some bullshit finishes that the crowd didn't like.  Plus having it in three locations might not have been the best idea and I'm glad they haven't tried it again.  I can't imagine wanting to only see a third of the show and then see the rest on the screen.  But it was a show.  The best match so far was Bulldogs vs. Hammer/Beefcake.  When Brutus wasn't in it was pretty great stuff, though Dynamite took a nasty spill to the outside at the end.

The Bulldogs/Dream Team match sums up the WWF in the 80s (and pretty much in general) to a tee. Dynamite Kid takes this hellacious bump to win the tag-titles and the people in the ring celebrating with the belts are the manager and the celebrity (Ozzy).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Late '94 or early '95. From what I've seen and it seems to be the consensus, '95 is easily their best year for TV. The character work in the Raven and Dreamer feud is outstanding. The matches may not have aged all that well (though I don't dislike them as much as others, in fact I still enjoy them), but the promos are fantastic. You've got Cactus doing the best mic work of his career before heading off to the WWF too. Jericho, Malenko, Benoit, Guerrero all come in during that period. So much good stuff.

Raven debuted on the January 7th, 1995 episode of ECW TV but there's some stuff with Stevie that's interesting in the build-up to that.

I like how they didn't really gloss over the fact that he used to be Scotty the Body/Scotty Flamingo. They didn't try to pretend he was a whole different person.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 9:11 PM, Josh Mann said:

I didn't know I wanted a parody of 70s/80s territory TV until I got one. 

I was watching Arn Anderson/Bobby Eaton vs. Valentine/Slater and I didn't know I wanted The Hammer and Dirty Dick as a tag-team until I saw it. That was a great little 5-6 minute match and they worked well as a team.

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

The Bulldogs/Dream Team match sums up the WWF in the 80s (and pretty much in general) to a tee. Dynamite Kid takes this hellacious bump to win the tag-titles and the people in the ring celebrating with the belts are the manager and the celebrity (Ozzy).

I felt bad laughing when Bulldog said Dynamite couldn't talk in the post-match.  My first thought was "Yeah, probably because he thinks 2+2=10 right about now!"  Not worth it, man!

At least I have WM3 waiting for me.  Savage/Steamboat and Hogan/Andre are enough to make for a good time.  Anything on top of that is a bonus.

53 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I felt bad laughing when Bulldog said Dynamite couldn't talk in the post-match.  My first thought was "Yeah, probably because he thinks 2+2=10 right about now!"  Not worth it, man!

At least I have WM3 waiting for me.  Savage/Steamboat and Hogan/Andre are enough to make for a good time.  Anything on top of that is a bonus.

Don't forget Davy Boy massacring Danny Davis for a few minutes. That tombstone Davy gave him was vicious. Also, Piper/Adrian was a pretty crappy match but a great pay-off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I was watching Arn Anderson/Bobby Eaton vs. Valentine/Slater and I didn't know I wanted The Hammer and Dirty Dick as a tag-team until I saw it. That was a great little 5-6 minute match and they worked well as a team.

Imagine how great that team could have been in late 70s crockett.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, Infinit said:

Didn't the keep Orndorff on standby just in case Andre's health acted up?

That was the rumor but having just watched the SNME pre-WMIII battle royal where Hogan pretty much treated Orndorff like he was nothing, I find that a little hard to believe.

And Orndorff was off television until May or June, I'm pretty sure he was injured.