DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watching old NWA TV yesterday, the 12/7/85 (I think) show has an excellent studio match with Magnum/Houston/Billy Jack vs Arn/Tully/Ole that goes about 15 minutes with everyone getting some great shine. Definitely worth digging out, even with the obvious finish. OR IS IT? 

Spoiler

It is. :D But Sam looks great and the finish protects him nicely. 

That's true. But still, it made for an entertaining program. I mean, interviewing a famous wrestler in (now) 2017, what new things could you get out of them, that hadn't already been asked on shoots and write-ups? It was stuff you already heard, but with video footage to accompany it  

That being said, it stinks that it's canceled, yet awful shit like Holy Foley is still on. 

The times I saw it Legends was pretty great.  But reading Observer I don't remember seeing the show cracking the top 20 much when a new episode was on.  Last week top 20 had lots of Holy Foley episodes.  People for whatever reason like watching dumb shit I guess.

5 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

That's true. But still, it made for an entertaining program. I mean, interviewing a famous wrestler in (now) 2017, what new things could you get out of them, that hadn't already been asked on shoots and write-ups? It was stuff you already heard, but with video footage to accompany it  

That being said, it stinks that it's canceled, yet awful shit like Holy Foley is still on. 

I highly doubt Holy Foley is coming back. It took 5 months for them to get around to burning off the back half of the first season

Re: Holy Foley

There are people who will watch all the original programming that hits the Network and Holy Foley is one of the few new things this month (the only other new things are the Mania 24 and the Hansen interview and those are both way ahead of the Holy Foley eps)

And all the new episodes are all between 11-20 so its not like they were 1-5 or something

But again - you can tell it is free month time since WrestleMania 32 is in the Top 10 and WrestleMania 31 is like 17th

On 2/7/2017 at 8:41 AM, Pete said:

Watching old NWA TV yesterday, the 12/7/85 (I think) show has an excellent studio match with Magnum/Houston/Billy Jack vs Arn/Tully/Ole that goes about 15 minutes with everyone getting some great shine. Definitely worth digging out, even with the obvious finish. OR IS IT? 

Hide contents

It is. :D But Sam looks great and the finish protects him nicely. 

Just watched this match. Really good tv main event. THe fans chanting, "I Quit" to piss off Tully was great. I wish there was more of that sort of fan interaction instead of lame "This is awesome" chants for any match that has a suicide dive and more than one near fall. That episode also had a nice Road Warriors squash and a young Jiggalo Jimmy Del Ray getting squashed by The Russians.

23 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Just watched this match. Really good tv main event. THe fans chanting, "I Quit" to piss off Tully was great. I wish there was more of that sort of fan interaction instead of lame "This is awesome" chants for any match that has a suicide dive and more than one near fall. That episode also had a nice Road Warriors squash and a young Jiggalo Jimmy Del Ray getting squashed by The Russians.

Plus an awesome Buddy Landel squash. I'd forgotten that great standing dropkick he would bust out. 

I'm gaining an appreciation for David Crockett on commentary, believe it or not. Sure he marks out a bunch, but he also isn't afraid to be quiet and let the action carry things.  Very minimalist on the mic, but it works. 

One of my newer to wrestling friends asked what Chavo Sr there was on the Network. I told him Superclash III and the Chavo Classic stuff from the mid 2000s. Anything obvious I might be missing, given I dont have the network to research first hand. Maybe some Mid-South stuff with Hector? 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

One of my newer to wrestling friends asked what Chavo Sr there was on the Network. I told him Superclash III and the Chavo Classic stuff from the mid 2000s. Anything obvious I might be missing, given I dont have the network to research first hand. Maybe some Mid-South stuff with Hector? 

The Shea Stadium match vs Fujinami might be there as well. 

On 2/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, odessasteps said:

He and Hector show up on couple episodes of WCW around the Crockett Cup 86.

Speaking of, they really need to add the Crockett Cups. Do they exist in complete form or just edited down?

On 2/16/2017 at 1:55 AM, odessasteps said:

When i got my tape sold by Crockett, it was highlights of early matches and i think full (or mostly) matches of the later matches and the singles matches. 

The version I had also had three Magnum TA matches on there. They did some sort of tribute to Magnum and they had his US title win over Wahoo, a random match against Kamala (one where Magnum hits him with a damn impressive belly to belly and counts his own pin after a DQ) and of course, the I Quit match. Probably the best Kamala match I've ever seen. There's a big ol nervehold that slows it down but Magnum sells it well. Magnum got to kick out of Kamala's splash as well as slam him.

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

The version I had also had three Magnum TA matches on there. They did some sort of tribute to Magnum and they had his US title win over Wahoo, a random match against Kamala (one where Magnum hits him with a damn impressive belly to belly and counts his own pin after a DQ) and of course, the I Quit match. Probably the best Kamala match I've ever seen. There's a big ol nervehold that slows it down but Magnum sells it well. Magnum got to kick out of Kamala's splash as well as slam him.

I mentioned the kamala match the other day during the belly to belly talk. Its from the 85 bash. 

• Like 1