DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Thoughts on In Your House 19: Degeneration X

Taka Michinoku was a great choice for the first WWF light heavyweight champion, even though the title devolved into a joke.

Not sure why Road Dogg and Billy Gunn didn't win the belts from LOD here at the pay-per-view rather than on Raw. Instead, we got a DQ finish.

I had to skip The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust's segment because my kid was in the room. #AttitudeEraProblems

Boxing matches on wrestling pay-per-views (Mero-Butterbean) should not go into the fourth round. Just get to the heel shenanigans and let's move on.

Steve Austin and The Rock had a fun IC title match, and their perfect chemistry led to an all-time classic rivalry. Austin used his pickup truck as a prop to wipe out the other members of the Nation.

Was Jeff Jarrett's gimmick of "delusional wanna-be main eventer" a rib on him?

Shawn Michaels and Ken Shamrock's match had a lousy, predictable finish, but neither guy was ready for a loss. Owen Hart did a great "avenging brother" run-in, but he was shunted down to a European title feud with HHH while Michaels battled bigger stars.

Sgt. Slaughter was the MVP of the show. The WWF was desperate for bodies after the disintegration of the Hart Foundation, and Sarge answered the call of duty. He bumped all over the ring at the age of 49 and put Hunter over in the middle of the ring. Considering how much that was not happening in WCW, Slaughter deserves a salute.

This week's Story Time was pretty great.  Bruno got to tell his "wrestling with a monkey" story for the 100th time, and this time the monkey was the size of "Mighty Joe Young" but he knocked him out anyway.  But the gem was Ric Flair trying to get into an event with Charlotte in the early 90s but his name wasn't on the list. Yet when they show the list, while  "Ric Flair" isn't on it, "Black Scorpion" and "Spartacus" are.

I know this may sound strange but I really like Story Time and wish it was longer.  Seems like the good shows are too short.  Table for 3, Story Time, etc

Also as kind of a rant, 

I keep getting numerous survey's and emails from wwe network and it seems the more I get the more they upload shows from 2006-2011. My question is  do people actually want to see that??  For awhile they were uploading all of the 2011 raws which to me is strange since they focus mainly on CM Punk (someone WWE would probably like to Benoit)    then they jump to 2006 Smackdown.  They were doing great with the old NWA shows through 1989 but suddenly stopped.  Is there really a demand for 2006 WWE?   I am praying we get 1988-1993 Prime Time at some point soon. 

Another question to you guys,

How do you rate WWE Network in comparison to other platforms such as FloSlam, Highspotsondemand,  Progressondemand, CHikaratopia, CZWstudios, etc?

I currently have WWE Network, Floslam, Highspots, and CZW,  With Highspots adding Cage Of Death the same day as CZWstudios I am thinking of cancelling my CZW subscription as I use it the least.  I like that highspots is airing PWX live tomm night and Floslam keeps adding new promotions and I love the ability to watch an indy show live as opposed to reading spoilers and then seeing the event.  WWE Network is obviously essential for the ppv's, NXT, 205 live,  but I feel like they can add more classic content.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:05 AM, RolandTHTG said:

This ep of Legends with Madusa is slightly offputting. Madusa seems batshit crazy.

It was basically her talking for the entire 45 minutes. She did seem kinda nuts but the parts about her tubal pregnancy and her battles to adopt were pretty sad. Tubal pregnancies are dangerous, she's really lucky to be alive.

Sad, but ultimately pro wrestling. The way she spoke about it was just inanely creepy, just glossing over it, "you move on", sounding more devastated by her tax bill from the 90s. Actually that kinda creeped me out the most - about how she was homeless, living on the streets, in debt to the IRS for hundreds of thousands of dollars, Vince pays it off for her, and then she fucks him over 18 months later because "he made her angry". Oh and the adoption story - weirdly one sided. How do you get a kid to come and live with you, and then the courts decide not long after that maybe not the best idea. I get that the biological parents will always have better sway in such a hearing, but just didn't seem right.

Eh, I'm not gonna take her to task for not getting super emotional on-camera about that stuff. Everyone handles those sorts of things differently. Maybe with the adoption stuff she couldn't really go into a lot of detail about it due to legal issues. Now I will say I look at her in a whole different light after she said that Vince paid off her IRS debt and she still fucked him over. It went from "eh, kind of a dick move but hey, it's wrestling and Vince has fucked people over before" to "yeah, that's kinda fucking scummy to screw over someone who pulled you out of the gutter."

That was a weird angle, that retirement match. I don't think she'd been on Nitro at all after the belt issue. Then suddenly she shows up in, what, mid '97? To announce she'll retire if she loses, then she does, and cuts a promo after on Nitro where the fans couldn't have given two shits about it. 

Madusa's mid 90s WCW run off the top of my head:

• Garbage can segment
  • Feud with Colonel Parker
  • Feud with Sonny Oono and friends
    • Lose 3 straight times to Hokuto and retire
  • Re-appear in Savage's group
  • Feud with Oklahoma

This was all spaced out over like 4.5 years with lots of disappearing acts in between.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I still remember a match she seconded the DA vs the Freebirds and ended up doing a high cross body to the floor onto Michael Hayes. 

I think it was Stunning Steve and Beautiful Bobby vs The Freebirds. Goodtimes. 

10 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

She was never the same after coming back to WCW. She was basically just a generic "USA" face and the Savage & Russo stuff was all bad.

Madusa in the 80's and early 90's had a cool vibe to her. I thought she added a lot to Rick Rude in WCW too.

The Russo stuff sucked but I have a soft spot for Team Madness. Especially Molly Holly missile dropkicking people while wearing an evening gown and Miss Madness sash.

• Like 1

Madusa's run may not have set the world on fire, but she kept a job making 150k/year until WCW went down.

I'm not arguing that it's not a rotten thing to do to someone who helped you when you needed him, but given where women's wrestling went in the attitude era and beyond, I think she probably came out ahead on the deal.