DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They announced Shawn was taking over the week before the event. Shawn just kind of came in and took over where Jerry left off with insulting the Hart family and such. I don't remember exactly what they said about why Lawler was gone and Shawn was taking over, but they did advertise it in advance, as short as it was.

They did one of the only Rio's Roundup segments the week before the show where Shawn Michaels went to the Hart house and trash talked the family (even pointing out that Owen was the weak link.) 

I can't remember if they literally said that Lawler had legal troubles, but it was suggested that due to some kind of personal situation, he was out.

I remember somewhere Vince said that Jerry Lawler was "on hiatus pending legal status" and then they announced that Michaels was replacing Lawler, but I went through the previous RAW's and it wasn't there.  Probably on the Survivor Series Showdown show the sunday before, but that's not on the network anywhere.

Thoughts on SummerSlam 97

The subtitle was "Hart and Soul," but it could have been called "Wacky Stipulations and Popcorn Breaks."

Wacky Stipulation #1: If Brian Pillman loses to Goldust, he has to wear Marlena's dress on Raw. That happened. This led to the great angle where Pillman claimed to be Dakota's real daddy.

Popcorn Break #1: Gorilla Monsoon and The Headbangers give New Jersey's governor a replica WWF belt and thank her for changing tax laws to allow the WWF to come back.

Wacky Stipulation #2: If Ken Shamrock beats Davey Boy Smith, the Bulldog actually has to eat dog food. As dumb as this angle was, it led to Shamrock's MVP performance. Bulldog smeared the dog food on Shamrock, who went crazy and destroyed everyone in sight. When Shamrock yelled "Get out of my way!", all of the non-UFC fans said, "OK, now I see why this guy is called The World's Most Dangerous Man."

Popcorn Break #2: The Million Dollar Challenge was a giant waste of time. Todd Pettingill was calling fans who weren't home, Sable and Sunny were acting sexy in front of a 10-year-old boy and his dad, and nobody won the casket full of money. The crowd was remarkably patient during a segment that would have been booed out of the building today.

Wacky Stipulation #3: If Steve Austin doesn't win the IC title from Owen Hart, he has to kiss Owen's behind. This wasn't really necessary, as winning the IC title from Owen and the Hart Foundation should have been enough motivation. Of course, they couldn't call an audible and let Owen win after Austin's neck injury because of this stip, leading to one of the worst-looking pinfalls ever.

The DOA-Boricuas match was looking like Popcorn Break #3, but two things happened. Los Boricuas looked great in the ring, and The Nation showed up and got good heat, especially Ahmed Johnson.

Wacky Stipulations #4 and #5: If Bret Hart doesn't win the WWF title from Undertaker, he can't wrestle in the United States again. The same goes for Shawn Michaels if he works against Bret as special referee.  This led to the great finish, with Shawn incurring Undertaker's future wrath and reluctantly counting the pin for his worst enemy. 

Thoughts on In Your House 17: Ground Zero

This was the first three-hour In Your House. Despite the name, Adam Bomb was nowhere to be found.

JR: Steve Austin, we wish you a speedy recovery, and we hope to see you back competing in this ring real soon.

AUSTIN: (Stunner)

Scott Putski certainly didn't look like a light heavyweight, as he was completely jacked. His kneecap was horrendously dislocated when Brian Christopher hit him with a suicide dive.

Savio, Faarooq and Crush had a plodding three-way, as the third man broke up the pin again and again.

In his final PPV match, Brian Pillman is the MVP for his fantastic work getting over the Marlena angle. It would have made Goldust into a super sympathetic babyface if the angle had concluded properly. 

The four-way tag title match died after the LOD was disqualified, but the roof blew off the place when Austin interfered to give The Headbangers the upset win.

Undertaker and Shawn Michaels had a fantastic match to kick off their classic rivalry. This bout doesn't get a lot of love, as it ended in a double-DQ due an almost comical amount of referee abuse.

When The Patriot put Bret Hart in the Sharpshooter, I thought, "What if the WWF had done the Louisville Screwjob here?" They wouldn't have had to tell anyone but Earl Hebner (who still could have escaped into a waiting car). Even the Patriot didn't have to know. It would have robbed us of a lot of drama, but Vince could have even disclaimed any knowledge and said Hebner just made a mistake. Hebner gets "suspended," Bret leaves for WCW, Patriot drops the title to Owen at Survivor Series, and Michaels wins it one month later at IYH: DX.

Watched the very last and next to last episodes of ECW Hardcore TV on the Network.

My local tv affiliate that carried ECW dropped the show at some point in 2000 so this was my first time seeing the last stand of the promotion, although, I remember reading the reports online at the time.  This was pretty bad.  One could tell this was a company going through its final death throes.  People compare the (everchanging) final days of TNA to WCW's last days but after seeing this a more apt comparison for TNA is some of the stuff ECW was throwing out there at the end.

From Nova seemingly being pushed as a top babyface to the likes of Belvis Wesley filling out the roster.  Also, some forgotten and never mentioned one-off appearances by WWF guys.  The Dudleyz worked a taping in late 2000 which from the highlights looked like nothing but comedy spots to a bored-looking and overweight Taz coming out to put over Danny Doring and Roadkill in a promo.  Pretty depressing stuff.  

For those that didn't know that this was happening

There was also a picture tweeted of Heyman on set with Tommy Dreamer, Bubba Ray and Taz so I believe they did some sort of round table

So I'm watching RAW from April 21st 2008, because it's King of the Ring. And actual Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton (and John McCain) were on the show because it wasthe day before a big primary or something. Obama has aged a lot more than 8 years in the last eight years. The King of the Ring tournament itself was... well it started alright, MVP vs Jericho was the best MVP match I've ever seen. CM Punk vs Matt Hardy was a good solid TV match. Khali vs Finlay was a short angle. And Regal vs Hornswoggle was a full-size man vs a Midget, and not as a comedy deal.

Second round, Punk vs Jericho was alright, but they'd have better matches later. Finlay vs Regal was the crappiest match the two of them could ever have against each other, and a real spit in the face to fans of the two. And then the final, Punk vs Regal, it wasn't as good as you'd expect a Punk vs Regal match to be. So all in all, a disappointing show. I'd never seen it before and it looked interesting on paper. Nope.

So, are the last twenty minutes or so of Takeover missing for anyone else? I was watching the live stream a bit behind, and it just stopped right during the ring introductions for the main event.

Loaded it from the library, fast forward to the main... Same thing.

I could see the live stream getting messed up if you were watching it on a delay since the show ran long (past 10 they were claiming Table for 3 was airing)

The ON Demand version should be fine though

I kinda sighed seeing yet ANOTHER ECW doc on the network, but it's pretty damn funny.  Things really pick up once D-Von comes on.   Bubba basically calling Taz out on his bullshit and D-Von asking Bubba to tell a story about what a dick Paul Heyman was not knowing that he had already told it earlier in the show are highlights.

4 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I kinda sighed seeing yet ANOTHER ECW doc on the network

I'm hoping for more fresh material. Coming soon, never before discussed topics:

1. Monday Night Warz!

2. NWO

3. Montreal Screwjob.

4. Mr. McMahon/Austin

5. WCW Died.

• Like 5