DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I take a look at the Houston results all the time to see what else we might be getting on NWA Classics (like the two Bockwinkel vs Slater and the Bockwinkel vs Rich matches). I am not nearly enough of an idiot to troll the Omni results for things I might want to see though. That's a fool's errand.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I take a look at the Houstin results all the time to see what else we might be getting on NWA Classics (like the two Bockwinkel vs Slater and the Bockwinkel vs Rich matches). I am not nearly enough of an idiot to troll the Omni results for things I might want to see though. That's a fool's errand.

I'd love to see Da Crusher's Georgia run just for the sheer weirdness factor of him feuding with Heenan at the Omni of all places.

• Like 1

I'd be all for the Harley Race vs. Mr. Wresting II from the Omni...80 or 81. If it exists, I want to see it. Also, there's got to be more top shelf Barry Windham/Ric Flair battles out there.

That's the thing- the "Collection" gives you all sorts of options. I would love a "Before they were Superstars" collection of guys working as enhancement before they hit it big. See Mick Foley get his jaw broken by the Bulldogs! See Michaels get nuked by Kamala in MSW!

So I watched the Thesz/Gunkel '51 match for the sheer novelty of seeing a match that old. I wouldn't say it's particularly exciting (there's a lot of 5-minute holds), but it's neat when you take a historical/academic approach. In some ways, it shows how timeless a lot of wrestling tropes really are. Gunkel works as the upstart babyface and Thesz works as the semi-heelish grizzled vet that's caught off guard by a lower-ranked opponent. Gunkel controls most of the mat action, while Thesz resorts to body punches in the ropes to get most of his advantages. Gunkel gets the first fall after wearing Thesz down with headlocks and body slams. He controls a lot of the second fall too, until Thesz hits a standard powerbomb which might as well have been an avalanche burning hammer in the context of this match. They sell the move like death, to the point where the ringside doctor won't let Gunkel continue to the third fall giving the Thesz a TKO win to retain his belt.

Watching Samoa Joe vs Regal from UPW and man this developmental actually makes Deep South look professional.   It looks like they were running in a night club with the weird seating and horrible lighting and the announcers doing commentary during the match that everyone could hear.   I mean at least it was a good crowd unless Ohno vs Rollins FCW match which was probably in front of 75 people.  

The fact of the matter is that they've apparently been sitting on this for years if not decades. On the one hand, I'm glad they gave it to us, but if we get a "Hidden Gems" sort of collection more than once a year, I'll be amazed. They'll probably get six times more watches by putting out another collection of Randy Orton's greatest matches.

• Like 1