DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Thanks for that. Found a pretty good match of his against Barry Horowitz with Shane as referee. Lord Alfred even mentions Chief Jay as his trainer.

The theme song was the same one that they used for the NWA episode dubbing....it's interesting and kind of neat to me that they've held onto such an obscure theme song from 1989 in their archives, kinda makes me wonder what other gems they have in there.

Looks like they just moved over the three events (Hardcore Heaven 95, N2R 95, and Cyberslam 96) that they had added during that ECW week they did a year ago from the Vault over to the PPV section, so nothing new to the Network added yet.

Though keeping my fingers crossed that this means they're adding more ECW Home Video content, I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Thoughts on In Your House 10: Mind Games

Jim Cornette getting squashed by Jose Lothario was the perfect result. Then Clarence Mason signed away Owen and Bulldog from the half-conscious Cornette and promptly led them to the tag team title.

Owen and Bulldog did their best to get a face reaction from the Philly crowd, even though Mason was managing them. However, defacing the giant photo of Sunny just didn't seem like something they would do. Sunny firing the Gunns after one loss didn't make sense either.

Savio Vega beat Marty Jannetty on the Free-For-All match and then beat Bradshaw in a Caribbean Strap match. After sitting through 4 Savio matches one year earlier at King of the Ring, the Philadelphia fans had to wonder, "why is Savio only being shoved down our throats?"

Mankind gets the MVP award for his injection of "Extreme" into the WWF title scene. That match was already amazing, but when Mankind and HBK both went off the top rope through a table, the match reached 5 stars. Only the nonsensical Vader DQ dropped it down from that level.

If it weren't for Foley, the award would go to Jerry Lawler for working his hardest to make the debuting Mark Henry look as good as possible. The New Rockers and Hunter Hearst Helmsley also got bounced around as Vince swung for the fences on Henry's debut.

• Like 2

I watched the Austin podcast with Ambrose on Friday night and it wasn't nearly as bad as all the reports I kept reading about it. "Oh Dean was so out of it...Oh Austin was clearly pissed with him..." At least from what I watched I thought it went pretty well. They seemed to get along fine and Austin wasn't copping any attitude with Ambrose (maybe not till the end when he did that whole thing about getting into it or something).

I think deep down Austin kinda dug the idea of Stunning Steve (cause you know that's who Dean was targeting that promo to) vs. Dean Ambrose at the Nashville Fair Grounds. Not a WWE show. But some run of the mill NWA show which makes it even funnier/better.

But overall I liked it. Would have been nice if they talked about some of his deathmatch stuff. But I guess they couldn't or wouldn't show any of the CZW clips. I would have liked to have seen him ask Ambrose in character what the hell possessed you to do all that crap.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:26 PM, Gorman said:

Jim Cornette getting squashed by Jose Lothario was the perfect result. Then Clarence Mason signed away Owen and Bulldog from the half-conscious Cornette and promptly led them to the tag team title.

Owen and Bulldog did their best to get a face reaction from the Philly crowd, even though Mason was managing them. However, defacing the giant photo of Sunny just didn't seem like something they would do. Sunny firing the Gunns after one loss didn't make sense either.

Savio Vega beat Marty Jannetty on the Free-For-All match and then beat Bradshaw in a Caribbean Strap match. After sitting through 4 Savio matches one year earlier at King of the Ring, the Philadelphia fans had to wonder, "why is Savio only being shoved down our throats?"

Mankind gets the MVP award for his injection of "Extreme" into the WWF title scene. That match was already amazing, but when Mankind and HBK both went off the top rope through a table, the match reached 5 stars. Only the nonsensical Vader DQ dropped it down from that level.

If it weren't for Foley, the award would go to Jerry Lawler for working his hardest to make the debuting Mark Henry look as good as possible. The New Rockers and Hunter Hearst Helmsley also got bounced around as Vince swung for the fences on Henry's debut.

I've heard that the main event of the ppv was originally scheduled to be Vader/Cornette vs. HBK/Lothario but Cornette pointed out that the match would suck and that the Philly fans would tear it apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I've heard that the main event of the ppv was originally scheduled to be Vader/Cornette vs. HBK/Lothario but Cornette pointed out that the match would suck and that the Philly fans would tear it apart.

Lothario would have been the best wrestler in that match.

Thoughts on In Your House 11: Buried Alive

Barry Windham won the dark match over Justin Bradshaw. The future New Blackjacks explode!

The face/heel lines on this show were heavily blurred. Jim Ross was a face because the WWF was screwing with his microphone, plus he was bringing Bret Hart back to Raw the following night. But he was a heel because he brought in the fake Razor Ramon and Diesel.

Stone Cold Steve Austin, usually a heel, got a babyface tryout when his opponent, Savio Vega, was replaced by Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Austin didn’t turn face until WM 13 against Bret, but this experiment showed promise.

Mr. Perfect stole Hunter’s arm candy, but he also got into a dispute with Austin. Later, while doing commentary, Perfect slugged Goldust, leading to his loss to Marc Mero.  One night later, we discovered that Perfect and Hunter were in cahoots all along with the “steal the valet” bit.

In other news, Sunny continued to dominate the tag team title scene. Billy Gunn was more focused on her than on regaining the belts. Standing backstage, Sunny applauded when Bulldog & Owen retained the titles, but she didn’t go on to manage them.

Undertaker gets the MVP award for finally winning a big match in his feud with Mankind. Only the Undertaker could build the audience’s investment in his character to accept moments like the lightning zapping the tombstone and his glove bursting through the soil. Of course, this match gave us the image of Helmsley literally burying someone, long before we learned what a “meme” was.

The face/heel lines on this show were heavily blurred. Jim Ross was a face because the WWF was screwing with his microphone, plus he was bringing Bret Hart back to Raw the following night. But he was a heel because he brought in the fake Razor Ramon and Diesel.

I loved King needling Mcmahon and egging JR on. "Don't you hate when he goes, '1, 2, he got him! No he didn't'! Don't you hate that Ross!"

• Like 3

Yes, yes it is worth checking out. They covered a lot of ground and really made you feel there is something special about the division. 

And for those thinking Steph would be infuriating, she really wasn't. She seems really genuine in her excitement for this. Hoping the positive trend continues because while it was fun at the time I don't want it to regress to mainly T&A.

I liked the women's revolution special for the WM 32 stuff and all the associated tear-jerking content, but like most WWE retrospectives, some of the anachronisms drove me nuts.

I particularly disliked the narrative that WWE women's wrestling went into the PG Diva Search dark ages after Trish and Lita retired. The first Diva Search was before Trish and Lita's Raw main event match, and had some very un-PG segments. Things like the Diva Search and the relationship with Playboy overlapped their whole careers. Then people like Mickie, Melina, Beth, Michelle, and AJ got completely no-sold, and while I understand why WWE would be hesitant to talk about some of them, it felt kind of shitty to say "everyone played a part" while ignoring people who gave them several years worth of content. Like I know it's not supposed to be a historical documentary or some kind of academic thesis modern WWE women's wrestling, but there's lots of narratives you could tell with an honest timeline.

On 25/06/2016 at 1:37 PM, cwoy2j said:

Watching Y2J/Rock from No Mercy. Still holds up even though I hate the finish of Steph getting involved.

Chris Jericho vs. The Rock at No Mercy 2001 was my 2001 Match of the Year. @Brian Fowler shares the same opinion.

On 30/06/2016 at 6:34 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Watching the HBK/'Taker Cell match in context, it well might be the best match in the history of the company. It's a great spectacle on its own merits, and all the big spots still hold up. It's creative, especially in how they originally get out of the cell. It's also got an amazing narrative flow - Undertaker finally using the chair on Michaels after the original chairshot that lost him the title two months ago and all those chair attacks from Michaels since is a perfect full circle moment. To have Paul Bearer pop up and bring back that narrative thread with Kane just as 'Taker is about to get a victory in the most karmically-satisfying way is so good - the first time I saw it, I sort of forgot about the side-deal with Kane since it had been a couple of months and the focus had been on 'Taker vs. Bret and HBK. 

I know that praise gets heaped on this match and '97 WWF in general, but this company was so good at weaving multiple storylines and conflicts together and then paying each of them off in ways that are both satisfying AND that create new and interesting narrative threads. If there were a Form of the Good for wrestling matches, I think HBK/'Taker in the Cell might be it. That or Tully/Magnum I Quit. 

(The other match that I think would maybe be GOAT for the company is the Warrior/Savage retirement match, another match which pays off a lot of different stuff at once, but it's not nearly as good in-ring as HBK/'Taker. It might be the perfect example of "sports entertainment" as Vince McMahon envisions it, however.)

On 30/06/2016 at 7:25 PM, (BP) said:

The original Hell in a Cell also works really well balancing two tweeners right at the beginning of the shades of grey business they were getting into creatively. Undertaker was wronged and fucked over by Shawn repeatedly, but he is terrifying in that match...maybe as close to a horror movie monster as he ever came in ring. 

Shawn is a dickhead and deserves to get destroyed, but he's admirably not backing down and finding every opening he can to take it to Taker. Once he realizes it's too much and tries to get out, it's too late and Taker's not only going to make him pay for everything DX has done to him, he's going to take out all of his frustration and anger from Bearer's taunts on him as well. Kane arriving and costing Taker the match was a perfect transition out of the Shawn feud and setup for the Mania match.

Shawn, decimated, bloodied, and barely conscious, being carried away by Hunter and Chyna (going through the motions of celebrating a win but clearly horrified because Shawn looks like he's been a car wreck) is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. 

On 01/07/2016 at 3:19 PM, Ramsey said:

That match also has to qualify as one of the 10 nastiest blade jobs ever. Shawn damn near carved his own name into his forehead.

I love Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker inside Hell in a Cell at In Your House 18: Badd Blood. The two had great chemistry and this was the best match between the two. One of the greatest wrestling matches ever. A five star match. The same applies for 'Taker vs. Michaels at WrestleMania XXV and WrestleMania XXVI.

On 04/07/2016 at 3:23 PM, cwoy2j said:

If you put a gun to my head and told me to name my top 3 matches, I'd probably go Tully/Magnum, Austin/Bret submission match, HBK/Taker HIAC. Depending on what day you asked me, I might swap out Tully/Magnum for Flair/Steamboat at Wrestle War.

Man that's a tough fucking question. I'd go for Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13, Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart at WrestleMania X and Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue from 9th of June 1995. HBK/'Taker HIAC just misses out,

On 13/08/2016 at 3:26 AM, Gorman said:

Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind at In Your House 10: Mind Games is a brilliant match, best of 1996. I still gave it 5 stars even with the ending.

On 7/27/2016 at 0:03 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

The Dallas 10 Man (2/7/2000).

I honestly think that's the only live crowd that can even come close to The Calgary Stampede.

JR was absolutely on fire for that one... maybe his best WWE match call ever. "The fans want the tag! THEY WANT THE ROCK!!!" One of the most perfectly timed lines you'll ever hear.

Watched the latest "Ride Around" this morning and was amused at Enzo not even trying to keep the accent up. That and Cass busting his chops. "There's the factories you used to drive by every day... there's the NYC skyline you looked at..."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Watched the latest "Ride Around" this morning and was amused at Enzo not even trying to keep the accent up. That and Cass busting his chops. "There's the factories you used to drive by every day... there's the NYC skyline you looked at..."

It was funny to me because Enzo has an obvious north Jersey accent but it sounds like no accent compared to his fake New York one.